U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 PM

13,538 posts, read 26,133,498 times

Advertisements

My T-Mobile contract is up in July, and I'm contemplating switching over to Cricket. I've had T-Mobile since 2003, and don't have any problems. I pay $55 per month for 1500 minutes per month on a Nokia 2230 that has what they call "Simple Internet" on it. I can read emails, and that's it.

For the same price with Cricket, I can get unlimited internet, texting and calling with no contract. With both companies, I'd have to buy a phone, and I want to upgrade to a smartphone.

If I told T-Mobile that I was going to switch, they would probably offer me the same plan for the same price with another two year contract, just to keep me. But I've heard horror stories about Cricket customer service, and them taking over a week to transfer the same phone number.

I've already been to a Cricket and talked to them, and they quoted me a rate of $250 for the phone and first month's service. Cricket has a limited selection of phones, though. I'm going to go to a T-Mobile store soon to look at their phones in person, I've already looked online. The Cricket phone that I looked is a ZTE Score, and the T-Mobile phone I looked at is a Samsung Blaze.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,062,404 times
Hi moved

If you dont have a problem with T-Mo and they are offering an identical price, I might want to stick with them.
What is going to start happening with Cricket, Metro PCS etc and other what we call MVNOs is their 'no contract' pricing will be going up soon. They dont have to honor any type of price because you are month to month essentially and at the will of their price changes. So in a year from now, it might not be $50.

I would definitely take a look in the T-Mo store to see what they can do. I highly recommend looking at the Nokia Lumia 710. If you are moving from a 2230, sometimes there is a slight learning curve with the smart phones. The software in the Lumia is superb and one that I always recommend to any friends or family that would like email features and ease of use.

Try it out in the store, its very easy to use.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM

13,538 posts, read 26,133,498 times
Thanks, I'll be going to a T-Mobile store in the next few days to look at phones. Then I'll be back with questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones