Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times

Advertisements

I have the Motorola Droid X2 and have had no problems with it. Friends with I-phones noticed that my screen is bigger, and most apps are available for both but there are more free ones apparently for Android. I also like the charging cable having a standard plud that will work with other devices and is cheap, while the i-phone is made just for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM

144 posts, read 295,864 times
Honestly, you will fall in love with which ever one you start using first. Someone who picks up a droid would almost never switch to an iphone and visa versa
I have been using the iphone for about 3 or 4 years now and I bought an android tablet about three months ago. I returned it 2 weeks later because I couldn't stand the android operating system. By boyfriend is the opposite.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
I love my Android phone BUT to any first timer I'd almost always recommend the iPhone.

For a couple reasons:

I love the way the iPhone looks and seems to be put together. Ironically it's more breakable than my current phone, but there's something to be said about the aesthetics of an item. The HTC phones like the HTC One X are making great strides in this department. I haven't held it but they say its pretty and substantial.

2. Fragmentation. Updates come slower on Android phones, and when there's problems with the phone it takes a bit longer to get things fixed. Whereas with Apple's closed system, updates are a bit faster. ICS has yet to come out for my phone GS2, though it should be here in a couple of weeks.

3. App availability. Android has made very good progress here. But Apple will almost always get preferential treatment when it comes to quality apps. I finally have Instagram on my Android phone after a few months, but it's still missing some features.

4. Accessories. The iPhone will always have accessories available. I haven't seen one case for my phone in the stores. Sure they are online, and I still don't have a case for my phone, BUT that just shows how popular the iPhone is.

5. Everyone has an iPhone. They are ubiquitous. Not saying to bee a sheep or follower, BUT you can use things like facetime with most people (which I've never used with my wife who has an iPhone) or iMessage, or whatever.

Other than those points (which may not be big deals) I'd personally choose the HTC One X if I had to buy an Android phone right now. It is seriously awesome. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is coming out soon, but it really doesn't excite me as much as it should. Honestly, the iPhone 5 should be a leap, and although I'm not an Apple fanboy in the least, I'm excited to see what they do with it. Though I don't know when it's coming out.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,759 times
I ended up going with the iphone and as of right now my only compaint is that if you want music or ringtones and dont want to pay for them you have to use a computer (which I dont have) and the fact that its glass screen and im terrified im going to drop it even though I have a case. lol

Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I ended up going with the iphone and as of right now my only compaint is that if you want music or ringtones and dont want to pay for them you have to use a computer (which I dont have) and the fact that its glass screen and im terrified im going to drop it even though I have a case. lol
Get insurance! Squaretrade will cover you for two years for $100. $50 deductable. My daughter broke her iPhone 4. She received a shiney new 4s within 24 hours

iPhone 4S Insurance | SquareTrade iPhone Warranty | SquareTrade Warranties |iPhone Insurance Alternative | SquareTrade Warranties

You have to sign up within 30 days of getting your new phone.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,760 times
The only issue I've had so far with my iphone is that sometimes it will randomly exit out of the app I'm using (which I think it's the apps fault and not my phone?).

Before my iphone I didn't even have internet on my plain cell phone...I won't ever go back to those days

If you're wanting extremely fast internet connections (like to watch a lot of videos, etc.) then I would go with a 4G droid...otherwise the iphone works just fine...just takes a few seconds longer to load bigger webpages and vids.

I don't have insurance with my iphone...it will cost me $120 a year for insuring it, not to mention the $150 deductible I would have to pay for my iphone (totally not worth it in the end). So I made sure to purchase an otterbox cover!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Thread is over. Move along. Nothing to see here. The OP has made up her mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I ended up going with the iphone
Let's not continue replying to this thread with suggestions or more of the "which is better crap".
Annoying.
Save it for the next thread. lol

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandavision View Post
Honestly, you will fall in love with which ever one you start using first. Someone who picks up a droid would almost never switch to an iphone and visa versa
I have been using the iphone for about 3 or 4 years now and I bought an android tablet about three months ago. I returned it 2 weeks later because I couldn't stand the android operating system. By boyfriend is the opposite.
I second this. My first smartphone was a first generation Android. I would never consider buying an iPhone. Ever. Its not that I don't like them, I'm just used to Android and am happy with its functionality. If I started with an iPhone, I could very well be reversed.

There are pros and cons to both, it comes down to a matter of personal preference. I'm not a fan of the bashing of iPhone/Android fanboys, both systems can exists in the market and people only buy things they like -- and apparently they are both liked.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
My first smartphone was an iPhone. What I generally do not like is being tied to a data plan I do not use. What I like best about iPhone is the keyboard. It is much easier to use than any qwerty keyboard because it looks and acts more like a PC keyboard. There is no punching #2 three times to see the letter C in text. The letters are large and easy to see. So is the phone dial pad. What I do not like is the iTunes Apps and the need to re-enter a credit card or gift card code to access and download a free app each and every time.

Everyone I know with the Droid loves it. I saw a Razr today that is sleek and just plain gorgeous. However it has the same problem I have with my current phone: The QWERTY keyboard. Depsite all its beauty and convenience I still had to punch #2 to find the letter C for a text message.

Because I do not like nor use all the bells, whistles and toys, I'm going back to a phone with text and a camera. The Smartphone is not smart enough. Yet. But they are getting a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones