Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times

Advertisements

Anyone that uses an Android OS device ever read the permissions that an app is privy to once you click "ok"?

A good majority want some pretty questionable access to your phonebook, call logs and usage for reasons that the app would not have a need for.

Like get a basic sketching app. Why does it need my phonebook and contact info? I guess thats the price for "free".

How do you guys think about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Depends on the app. If you question a permission, why not just email the creator of the app and ask them why they need permission to a specific item?

I don't understand why we as a society are losing our ability to be direct with each other.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Depends on the app. If you question a permission, why not just email the creator of the app and ask them why they need permission to a specific item?

I don't understand why we as a society are losing our ability to be direct with each other.
Great reply. However an app really isnt like someone is giving you something and shaking your hand saying :let mw know what you think". Its virtual so inherently the dev isnt being direct so the feeling would be mutual for an end user.

As an end user and consultant in this industry I am always curious to see how many folks simply skip the permissions pop up as Android grows.
It says right there what it wants to gain access to.

I dont think people feel they have the ability to ask the dev why or care to.
We live in an instant gratification and click/delete society.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
I didn't mean anything by it, it's just that if you don't trust an app, why not ask about it from the source?

90+% of people don't even read it, just install, yes, done.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I read the perms. A lot of people get upset about permissions because they don't understand the reasoning. Example: Pandora wants access to your contacts. In the reviews on Amazon people were complaining about that. But it's a feature. If you want to share a station with someone or recommend Pandora to a friend it wants to pull up your contacts. Nothing nefarious.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I read the perms. A lot of people get upset about permissions because they don't understand the reasoning. Example: Pandora wants access to your contacts. In the reviews on Amazon people were complaining about that. But it's a feature. If you want to share a station with someone or recommend Pandora to a friend it wants to pull up your contacts. Nothing nefarious.
Peregrine,

Yes you are totally right and the intention of the OP was not to set off alarms per se. More specifically, I was talking about the one off apps. Pandora is pretty legit and really a busines more so than a small time app dev.

Its amazing to me how much Android reminds of XP. Tons of stuff available for it no doubt.

This little piece pretty much outlines what I am talking about. I was just curious how aware people were of 'just click' and forget. When in fact these apps, most of the time running in the background and users might not even know.
Android 101: What some of those scary application permissions mean | Android Central

Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Another good reason to root your phone and install an app like LBE Privacy Guard, which lets you revoke any apps permissions that you choose.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I didn't mean anything by it, it's just that if you don't trust an app, why not ask about it from the source?

90+% of people don't even read it, just install, yes, done.
because he is a "consultant" and is just trying to zero in on peoples responses who don't read or email.

wonder what their next move will be after the input from this survey gets processed...

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
because he is a "consultant" and is just trying to zero in on peoples responses who don't read or email.

wonder what their next move will be after the input from this survey gets processed...
LOL

Def not a survey

We develop 2+ years out and my 'consulting' is to help design better systems for end users. I have doing this for a LONG time.

The best analogy is for how we look at things is: imagine eating McDonalds several times a week because there are commericals saying that their McChicken breast sandwich is healthy. Its about the same as how I see end users installing apps without much thought or regard to what is being installed on their devices. Just that they want and because its a widely accepted platform and brand, its totally ok. Most of the time it is ok.
So just like all the ingredients are listed in a McDonalds store and how negatively it might affect ones health over the long term, the permissions are also listed prior to installing the app and can play in a role into how well the device runs or is susceptible to threats.

Jailbreaking phones is the best alternative, but also the worst if someone doesnt think about security first and then build from there. Just as there are really great apps, there are some pretty naty ones too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones