Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times

Advertisements

my #1 concern is apple picking the robbery by force of iphones.
a rampant street problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,121,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my #1 concern is apple picking the robbery by force of iphones.
a rampant street problem.
What???

Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM

808 posts, read 1,673,989 times
I spent a good 10 minutes trying to decipher that.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,417,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
All the things you say theniPhonw has android has.

Just root the phone. Takes 2 seconds and Google approves...

But you point out what makes Android better. There are a TON of Android phones and only one iPhone. Well 3 if you count the 4 and 4s.

There are low, mid and high level phones.

The only ones you should compare to iPhone 5 are the high level ones. The Notes, S3 and Nexus would be in the same class as the iPhone 5.
I don't doubt you on the newer, top-tier phones. The Droid was one of the first 4G phones on the market. The battery life was terrible. Maybe I'd get about 3.5 hours of use of it if I used it often. I can easily get an entire day of use out of the iPhone. I'm sure you can with the phones you mentioned, too. My close friend has the Galaxy S3 and really likes it.

I also didn't like the forced OS updates that Samsung controlled. I woke up a couple of times and my phone had indicated that an update was coming through. After a couple of these updates, my phone slowed down dramatically. It also became more prone to crashes. By the time I said "hell with it", my phone was on the fritz. The battery could not hold a charge and it was slow as molasses. It would also shut down randomly. And the load time, don't get me started. Once I compared with my friend who had the iPhone 4s whose phone was faster. We both turned off our phones and restarted them. She was able to shut down and reboot her iPhone about three times before my Droid Charge loaded up once. This was only a year and half after purchasing it.

The resale value on the iPhone is also much, much better. I worked with a co-worker who was not an Apple fan boy by any means. He was very technical; the kind of guy who would get wood over a new Ubuntu release. Yet, he was extremely fond of the iPhone. A big part of that was because he could sell his phone two or three years after purchasing it and make out pretty well. I think he sold his iPhone 3 for $250 or more on eBay a couple years ago when he switched to the 4s. I just sold my Droid 1.5 years after buying it for $55 on eBay.

Last edited by Tekkie; 02-22-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,985,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
Exactly! I do find it ironic that iOS is in the same position that Windows is with regard to Android (Linux)-both iOS and Windows are closed source and they lock people into their system.
What do you mean by "they lock people into their system"? How does Android behave differently? Do you mean because you can modify the Android source?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,121,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What do you mean by "they lock people into their system"? How does Android behave differently? Do you mean because you can modify the Android source?
Android is open source and Google encourages modifying it. Roms, boot loaders, different operating systems. All of it is good.

Modifying an iPhone voids the warranty.

On resale value I agree. I sols my iPhone 4 for dang near what I paid for it.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,966 times
From what I have seen and used, HTC makes the best hardware for Android phones. Their new HTC One looks to continue that trend. If HTC ever made a Nexus phone, I would be all over it. I know they did the Nexus One, but that was a few years ago when they were just getting the ball rolling on their smartphones.

The interesting thing is that the smartphone market is turning into the Apple/Samsung show. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. The new HTC one looks pretty solid (minus the big bezel) and will probably get lost in the shuffle once the GS4 is announced. Word is Samsung is prepping a mid-March announcement.

Has anyone else noticed how few people have Windows Phones? I feel like I barely see anyone using them.

Really, Microsoft looks to be the odd man out in the smartphone and tablet space.

Does anyone else thing the Surface adds are terrible?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,985,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Has anyone else noticed how few people have Windows Phones? I feel like I barely see anyone using them.

Really, Microsoft looks to be the odd man out in the smartphone and tablet space.

The Windows phones are the newest to the market. Apple and Google (along with Microsoft) are reaping the benefits of having a head start. Only time will tell whether Windows phones will take off.

The Surface ads do not bother me. There's problems with the Surface device that need to be ironed out in future revisions and competitors... but it seems like a practical product.

Microsoft has a healthy ecosystem of products that they can [attempt to] leverage in promoting Windows phones.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Android is open source and Google encourages modifying it. Roms, boot loaders, different operating systems. All of it is good.

Modifying an iPhone voids the warranty.

On resale value I agree. I sols my iPhone 4 for dang near what I paid for it.
Rooting an Android device voids the warranty as well. I mean, if you can unroot it, and they can't tell, fine, but rooting technically voids the phone. I suspect someday they'll have a system where the phone like, sends out a message to whoever stating that it was rooted at some point.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
From what I have seen and used, HTC makes the best hardware for Android phones. Their new HTC One looks to continue that trend. If HTC ever made a Nexus phone, I would be all over it. I know they did the Nexus One, but that was a few years ago when they were just getting the ball rolling on their smartphones.

The interesting thing is that the smartphone market is turning into the Apple/Samsung show. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. The new HTC one looks pretty solid (minus the big bezel) and will probably get lost in the shuffle once the GS4 is announced. Word is Samsung is prepping a mid-March announcement.

I'd say Samsung makes the best phone. And Microsoft will pick up. It'll take time, but they have the resources, and as stated, they have connectivity between all their stuff. Windows, and I'm sure the Xbox 720 will have connectivity to it.

The odd man out, is Blackberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones