Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times

Advertisements

Okay so have a problem. I have an HTC Evo. The charger is 2 pieces the usb cord and the part it plugs into that goes into the wall. recently lost the plug part still have the usb. went to sprint store bc i needed a charger asap. bought a crappy charger for $37 thanks sprint.

anyhow i could be imagining thing but could this charger charge slower than the origoinal charger? it seems like the charging icon bar scrolls across the battery icon much slower than with my old charger. also with my old charger i feel like i could plug my phone in when it was dying for 5 or 10 minutes and get a decent batter charge to have a quick convo. now it feels like ill have my phone plugged in for 30 min and the second i take it off the charger its telling me its about to die.

is this an issue with the charger not charging fast or is my battery not holding a full charge like say an old laptop. i have sprint insurance will this cover it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
It's absolutely possible that the charger does not charge as quickly/efficiently as your original.

I do not think it is your battery.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
kasyn is right. All USB chargers are not the same, even though if they are 'universal'. the mA charge could be different.

Have you tried charging with a laptop/pc or car charger?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
kasyn is right. All USB chargers are not the same, even though if they are 'universal'. the mA charge could be different.

Have you tried charging with a laptop/pc or car charger?
i have tried this, ive heard straight usb as opposed to plugged into the wall doesn't charge as quick and from what i can tell plugging my usb into the computer or the usb on my car it will keep the phone powerd but i dont think it charges much if at all.

i was surprised for $37 sprint gives me the same crappy charger i could buy off ebay for like $2.99 with free shipping i expected to get a better charger but obviously coulndt hav my phone off for the week itd take to get a ebay or amazon charger. gonna stop by the store today

Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
i have tried this, ive heard straight usb as opposed to plugged into the wall doesn't charge as quick and from what i can tell plugging my usb into the computer or the usb on my car it will keep the phone powerd but i dont think it charges much if at all.

i was surprised for $37 sprint gives me the same crappy charger i could buy off ebay for like $2.99 with free shipping i expected to get a better charger but obviously coulndt hav my phone off for the week itd take to get a ebay or amazon charger. gonna stop by the store today
Yes you are correct on both accounts.

The USB will trickle charge your phone. More times than not, if you battery is completely dead you will be unable to charge from PC.

As far as stores ripping you off. There is no doubt! That is an absolutely ridiculous sum of money for a charger. There are 'some' cases where the cheapo chargers dont perform, but essentially most of those come from the same factories as the others lol

Do you happen to have an old iPod charger that allows for USB insert? That might so the trick as well for a travel charger.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,261 times
Hello, I have been a similar problem, did not know how to do it, they had to change the battery, up to now are very good. I wish you good luck. You can look at this: laptop Battery, laptop Charger/AC Adapter

Old 05-26-2012, 11:21 AM

464 posts, read 804,265 times
In my experience I've found it's best to stick with OEM chargers and batteries. They're specifically engineered for the device you have.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Ugh, I've been here before... I was looking for a car charger.

Your phone is designed to take less power if it's plugged into a computer instead of a plug-in charger, so that it doesn't burn out any motherboards trying to suck more power than available. It has two discreet charge rates, one fast and one slow. Here's how to figure out which rate your charger is supplying:

Assuming your EVO is similar to my Thunderbolt, hit Menu from your home screen, then hit Settings -> About phone -> Battery. Look at the top line for "Battery status."

While it's charging, it should say "Charging (AC)." The (AC) represents the faster charge rate. If it says "Charging (USB)," it's charging at the slower rate.

If Sprint's charger is supplying the (USB) charge rate, try to get your money back from the Sprint store, or at least try to get them to trade it for a name brand (Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc.) charger. Insist on satisfaction, because $37 for a 3rd party/generic SLOW charger that probably goes for $2 on fleabay is unacceptable.

In my personal experience, EVERY third party car charger and AC charger I tried would only supply my Thunderbolt at the USB rate. Oddly enough, an iPad "2 amp" charger also only gave me a USB charge rate.

I finally found what I needed at Target, but not in the cell phone section. (All they had there was 3rd party stuff, and I'd already been down that road.) I wandered over to the GPS units, and saw that they had name brand OEM car chargers for Tom-Tom GPS units. I looked at the specs: with a 1 amp output, I figured it should work, and it did.

Now when I charge my phone in my car with the Tom-Tom charger, it says "Charging (AC)," and the battery is able to charge while using navigation and portable hotspot.

Unfortunately, my experience did not carry over to the Tom-Tom brand wall charger. With the wall charger, it just said "Charging (USB)," so I returned it.

Frustrating, I know. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones