Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

Verizon is offering this plan for families who have a lot of devices and to help them not worry about texting and going over their minutes costs. Sounds good on the surface, but after looking at how much they will charge just for the data to be shared as well as each added device, it can be pricey for families who don't have a lot of devices or use a lot of data and voice minutes. It can also be pricey for families who all have smart phones, tablets etc and need to purchase enough data to share without going over their usage.

The price plan is in two basic steps. You select whether you have a smart phone or basic phone and or tablets--$40 for a smartphone, $30 for a basic phone $10 (I think) for tablets. Then for each device you add to your plan either a smartphone, a basic phone, or a tablet you pay the additional cost for each device.

So for me, my plan includes one smartphone, and two basic phones that my wife and son have. We don't have any tablets yet. So if I were to switch to this plan, it would cost me $40 for my phone, $60 for my wife and son's basic phones or $30 a piece. That would cover the unlimited voice and texting instead of me paying for unlimited voice and data separately for each additional line.

Then in the 2nd step, I have to select the data package which under this new plan for my smartphone is $50 for 1 gig, and it goes up $10 bucks for each additional gig added to my plan. Remember this data is shared on all 3 devices. If we go over this data usage, then Verizon kicks in an additional 2 gigs at I think $10.

Including the insurance that I have on my smartphone and taxes too, this, surprisingly, adds up to about $175 what I am currently paying for 2000 minutes, unlimited texting, my wife and son's two basic phones, my wife and son's data packages, and my $30 data package for my smartphone. I am a teacher and they give me also a 15% discount off of my bill. So switching for me would be an added bonus of not ever having to worry about my family and I going over our voice minutes.

You can go to their website and play with the numbers to see if this new family share plan works for you or not. Existing customers can switch over without extending their contract or stay in their same plan. This plan will take effect on June 28, 2012.

Last edited by antredd; 06-12-2012 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Links were posted about the new news in a similar thread here: //www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...-phones-2.html

Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Formula: Less for more $$$$

surprise surprise

Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Basically

Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
It's a Trap!
Big Red is beyond greedy.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
The majority of consumers will save money. While I wouldn't have my unlimited data feature any longer, I would save about $20-$30 per month. Certainly not chump change. I think only the power users might not benefit. Unlimited voice and text is not such a bad thing. Better than paying for airtime/text overages.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The majority of consumers will save money. While I wouldn't have my unlimited data feature any longer, I would save about $20-$30 per month. Certainly not chump change. I think only the power users might not benefit. Unlimited voice and text is not such a bad thing. Better than paying for airtime/text overages.
The majority of consumers will not save money. The minimum charge for any amount of data on the new plan is greater than the unlimited. People with employee discounts will also lose out as well.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The majority of consumers will not save money. The minimum charge for any amount of data on the new plan is greater than the unlimited. People with employee discounts will also lose out as well.
How so? Will employees lose their discount?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
False.
Who hits txt overages anyway?
My wife has 450 minutes and unlimited texts right now. With unlimited night and weekends and VZW to VZW she doesn't even use half her minutes.
Now we will be paying $10-$20 MORE and she only gets 1GB as opposed to unlimited.
Yea, that's a bargain.

Here we come Sprint.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Peregrine,

If you aren't happy with Verizon and went to go to Sprint then don't let the door hit you on the backside.

What I stated was not false, only your opinion. The average user does NOT use gigabytes of data monthly like you think. Those consumers will ultimately save money. Only power users could be negatively impacted by the change. And let's not forget that nobody will be forced to give up their grandfathered plans/features after June 28. Only new users who CHOOSE to select the new plans and current customers who upgrade their phones at a subsidized price. It is clearly stipulated that customers can upgrade their phones without a device subsidy without losing current plans/features. Get over yourself, you aren't that important to Verizon and they can easily replace you with another new customer if you leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones