Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times

Advertisements

Straight Talk:

Straight Talk offers various Android smart phones for sale, but only TWO of them will work on the national Verizion towers - The Samsung Proclaim, and the LG Optimus Zip. Most of the time neither of these are listed on Straight Talk's web site because they stay sold out of them, but you can if you're lucky find them in scattered Walmart stores here and there - inconsistent stock, though.

The rest of Straight Talk's Android phones at this time only use Sprint's primary towers for coverage - and note, unlike Sprint's contract service/towers, they cannot roam like you can when on contract, so service areas are much more spotty. Same type of setup coverage Virgin Mobile and Boost use (owned by Sprint). If you're in a larger area and don't travel much this might not matter, but those I know who travel a lot say they lose signal on these quite a bit. So personally, if I were going to go with straight talk with a smart phone I'd only do it with either of the first two Verizon models I mentioned earlier.

The smart phone plans are as others have mentioned $45.00 each per month for unlimited. But if anyone in your family doesn't HAVE to have an Android phone, you can get one of their more basic phones and use the $30.00 a month plan that gives you 1000 minutes/1000 texts, and 30mg of data. The newer Samsung s390g phone they have does also have wifi and 3G on it (though the data costs are a bit higher than on their dumber phones).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times

So. . .Lucario, what have you decided?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Straight Talk:

Straight Talk offers various Android smart phones for sale, but only TWO of them will work on the national Verizion towers - The Samsung Proclaim, and the LG Optimus Zip. Most of the time neither of these are listed on Straight Talk's web site because they stay sold out of them, but you can if you're lucky find them in scattered Walmart stores here and there - inconsistent stock, though.

The rest of Straight Talk's Android phones at this time only use Sprint's primary towers for coverage - and note, unlike Sprint's contract service/towers, they cannot roam like you can when on contract, so service areas are much more spotty. Same type of setup coverage Virgin Mobile and Boost use (owned by Sprint). If you're in a larger area and don't travel much this might not matter, but those I know who travel a lot say they lose signal on these quite a bit. So personally, if I were going to go with straight talk with a smart phone I'd only do it with either of the first two Verizon models I mentioned earlier.

The smart phone plans are as others have mentioned $45.00 each per month for unlimited. But if anyone in your family doesn't HAVE to have an Android phone, you can get one of their more basic phones and use the $30.00 a month plan that gives you 1000 minutes/1000 texts, and 30mg of data. The newer Samsung s390g phone they have does also have wifi and 3G on it (though the data costs are a bit higher than on their dumber phones).
Thanks for the clarity re Verizon.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have Consumer Cellular, which uses AT&T towers. I got a free SIM card for my existing Blackberry, and my plan (no contract) is 100minutes, 100 texts, and a small amount of data (which I don't use) for $16 and change. Additional phones are $10. with shared minutes. I can bump it up if I add phones and it is very cheap. If you need to buy a phone, they are very inexpensive too.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have Consumer Cellular, which uses AT&T towers. I got a free SIM card for my existing Blackberry, and my plan (no contract) is 100minutes, 100 texts, and a small amount of data (which I don't use) for $16 and change. Additional phones are $10. with shared minutes. I can bump it up if I add phones and it is very cheap. If you need to buy a phone, they are very inexpensive too.
I also have Consumer Cellular http://www.consumercellular.com/; they have great customer service and nice selection of phones, but wish they'd get the iPhone. That possibility might be in the works, but I can't get them to say for certain. I've been with them since '04, I think.

I still have an old Nokia flip phone which suits my needs right now.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM

115 posts, read 174,594 times
T-mobile has an unlimited prepaid monthly plan for $50.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I also have Consumer Cellular http://www.consumercellular.com/; they have great customer service and nice selection of phones, but wish they'd get the iPhone. That possibility might be in the works, but I can't get them to say for certain. I've been with them since '04, I think.

I still have an old Nokia flip phone which suits my needs right now.
They have a refurbished Iphone 3GS for $200 on their website ( I just looked).

Is it possible to use this service, Consumer Cellular, with other phones?

My problem is that where I live, I get 0-1 bars and very, very poor reception with Sprint, but on my work cel phone, which is ATT, I get 5 bars all the time.....

so I am trying to figure out a low-cost cel phone plan to get, but I cannot use one that uses Sprint towers.

I like the fact that Consumer Cellular uses ATT towers, and their prices are great, but their phone selection sucks!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
They have a refurbished Iphone 3GS for $200 on their website ( I just looked).

Is it possible to use this service, Consumer Cellular, with other phones?

My problem is that where I live, I get 0-1 bars and very, very poor reception with Sprint, but on my work cel phone, which is ATT, I get 5 bars all the time.....

so I am trying to figure out a low-cost cel phone plan to get, but I cannot use one that uses Sprint towers.

I like the fact that Consumer Cellular uses ATT towers, and their prices are great, but their phone selection sucks!
Yes, if you already have an unlocked phone, they will send you the sim card for CC's settings. But your current Sprint phone won't work, because of the difference in technology. At least that's what I've understood.

And. . . .regarding that iPhone which they've just begun offering, my tech. advisor has cautioned against it, primarily because this model is three years old and the fact that Apple will be unveiling some new products along the iPhone/iPod line come Sept or October. So, I'm holding out for awhile.

I still have an ancient Nokia flip phone which isn't even offered any longer, but it works for the basic phone function, which works OK for me right now.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Yes, if you already have an unlocked phone, they will send you the sim card for CC's settings. But your current Sprint phone won't work, because of the difference in technology. At least that's what I've understood.

And. . . .regarding that iPhone which they've just begun offering, my tech. advisor has cautioned against it, primarily because this model is three years old and the fact that Apple will be unveiling some new products along the iPhone/iPod line come Sept or October. So, I'm holding out for awhile.

I still have an ancient Nokia flip phone which isn't even offered any longer, but it works for the basic phone function, which works OK for me right now.
so I could get any unlocked phone i want and then use it on their plan?

that sounds good!!!
Are you sure they use the ATT network?

I wouldn't want the old Iphone. That is the model I have for work - I've had it for almost 2 years and I'm bored of it already!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
so I could get any unlocked phone i want and then use it on their plan?

that sounds good!!!
Are you sure they use the ATT network?

I wouldn't want the old Iphone. That is the model I have for work - I've had it for almost 2 years and I'm bored of it already!
Yes, I'm certain Consumer Cellular uses the ATT network; therefore any unlocked phone you'd choose would have to be of the type used by ATT. I think the two basic types of cell phone technology use the CMS or CMDS, but I could be wrong. Plwhit or someone will show up to set us straight, no doubt!

Thinking in terms of cell phone providers, there is ATT with one type and Sprint/Verizon with the other. The two are not interchangeable.

So if you're looking for an unlocked phone, just make certain that it's one which is compatible with the ATT network & technology.

~~~~

Depending on what Apple brings out this fall for an updated iPod, or IF they do so, I'll get either the new iPod, and stick with my dumb phone, or spring for the latest edition of the unlocked iPhone to combine the functions of the iPod and phone and use it with Consumer Cellular. I will NOT use a company which requires a 2 year contract! It's unfathomable to me that folks still buy in to those requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones