Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times

Advertisements

Does StraightTalk use AT&T network? I get a 5 bar signal on that one, and zero on Sprint. Before I go with any cheap celphone plan, I need to know for sure which network it uses. Someone here I believe said Consumer Cellular uses AT&T. They have good prices, but few phone choices, but you can use any unlocked phone with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Really ???

Please be more specific about that statement. Are you paying any more for your voice calls ?? So, the cost of data gone up recently ? When the unlimited voice plans were first introduced, it was $99 per line on a shared plan and with the new shared plans it is $40 for smartphones and $30 for feature phones. Sure sounds more expensive to me.

They used to have data plans measured megabytes and now gigabytes. So have they decreased the amount of data per month and increased the cost per month ??

I really can't wait for your explanation. Frankly, your allegation is baseless.
The $30 upgrade fee, the end of unlimited data when you upgrade, ending the ability to upgrade after 1 year for an extra $20, meaning if my device fails in 16 months I need to purchase at full price. It certainly seems to be getting more expensive to me.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Yes, Verizon just screwed over most people who aren't on family plans. Even then, you'd have to have a family of 4 or more to make out. They structured their plans in a manner in which someone with multiple devices could potentially save money. But many people only have a single data plan on a single account.

Verizon tends to have the best coverage nationwide.... but if you stick to a particular area/state... any one of the carriers could be the best there.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, Verizon just screwed over most people who aren't on family plans. Even then, you'd have to have a family of 4 or more to make out. They structured their plans in a manner in which someone with multiple devices could potentially save money. But many people only have a single data plan on a single account.

Verizon tends to have the best coverage nationwide.... but if you stick to a particular area/state... any one of the carriers could be the best there.
I have a family plan and they still managed to screw me. I have four lines (myself, sister, BIL, and mother) and my bill has still crept up over the years. But they do have the best coverage by far. I had an AT&T work cell for a year. I dropped more calls in that year than the 10 years I've been with Verizon.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I have a family plan and they still managed to screw me. I have four lines (myself, sister, BIL, and mother) and my bill has still crept up over the years. But they do have the best coverage by far. I had an AT&T work cell for a year. I dropped more calls in that year than the 10 years I've been with Verizon.
What areas did you use your Verizon and AT&T phones?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What areas did you use your Verizon and AT&T phones?
Verizon I've had in DC, Boston and Providence with no issues. At&t I had in Boston with tons of issues. They may have been due to At&t being the only one that carried the iphone at that time, but they were serious issues that neither att&t or apple could fix nonetheless.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,093 times
I just signed up for the $50 unlimited Gophone plan on At&t. I chose the cheapest data plan which is $5 (for 50mb). I'm on wifi most of the time so it helps out a lot. It saves me a lot of money since i cant occur any overage charges. FWIW i have a iphone 3gs

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
I just got a H2O minute plan. It's on the AT&T network. I paid $100 that's good for 1 year. They charge me 5 cent a minute, or 5 cents a text message or 30 cent a megabyte. After 3 weeks of usage, I still have $93 left, at this rate I'll use about $10 a month for cell phone usage. If your a light phone user like me, it's the best way to go.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 AM

5 posts, read 27,041 times
I would suggest a SIM only contract because its cheapest. just make sure you get one that roghly matches your maximum monthly usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones