Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,134,438 times

Advertisements

Moved-Sounds like you might have defective unit..Take it back or buy a backup battery

I've already ordered a backup battery, it's just not here yet. I didn't buy the phone in a T-Mobile store, it was ordered and sent to me by customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 PM

You can always manual sync when you go into Gmail and refresh. It will automatically sync all other services associated with that account (so long as their checkboxes are ticked) everytime you refresh.

I don't use Gmail at all, never did, and never will. I only had to create an account for the phone. All of my email accounts are in Yahoo.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Have you checked your Account and Sync? What accounts do you have running?

Display - 59%
Cell Standby - 3%
Android OS - 9%
Phone Idle - 8%
Android System - %
Foursquare - 2%

Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,678,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
One more suggestion to add. If the phone operates on a 4G/LTE connection it will drain the battery faster, even if in standby. You can manually disable 4G.
Even that shouldn't be draining his battery that fast unless he has a 4G phone and lives in a non-4G area. I have a Droid Razr and can go a full day without needing to charge my phone, with normal usage. Google Maps, Facebook, browsing, text messages and a few phone calls, plus a few other apps. I take it off the charger around 7am, when I leave work at 5:30 I'm at 50%. If I know I'm going to be using it, I'll throw it on the charger in the car for the hour ride home, but even if I don't, it's still on at the end of the day. At 20% mind you, but it's still on. My phone currently shows 16 hours on the battery with 20% left, and I've been pretty hard on it today.

I meant to add, that's also with bluetooth on all day and some WiFi usage.

Last edited by ReblTeen84; 07-25-2012 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,235,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Have you checked your Account and Sync? What accounts do you have running?

Display - 59%
Cell Standby - 3%
Android OS - 9%
Phone Idle - 8%
Android System - %
Foursquare - 2%
moved, these are your 'battery' parameters. This looks about right though for average consumption. I dont see anything weird here.

Can you check your 'Accounts and Sync' setting? Its in the same list when you click on 'Settings'. You just might have to scroll down a bit.

Its likely you have your Google account syncing all the time with all the sub-features and services. Even if you dont use Gmail, by default when you got the phone and signed up for a Google account, you automatically get a Gmail account. You should turn this syncing off if you never use it like you said.

By default the Gmail account has data 'pushed' to your phone so you get email virtually 'live' to your device. Basically this eats up your battery for always pinging the Gmail servers, whether you have email or not.

Another possibility might be regarding your TMo connection with 4G. Have you noticed the signal floating in and out of 4G depending on where you go?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM

I think that may have been the problem. I unchecked the boxes. I also get "network unavailable, or network error" messages at times. I was just trying to send a picture to someone, and it said, "Sorry, there's a problem with the network. Please make sure you're connected to the internet, and try again."

Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM

6,393 posts, read 10,191,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

Another possibility might be regarding your TMo connection with 4G. Have you noticed the signal floating in and out of 4G depending on where you go?
Excellent point !! If the phone is constantly switching from 3G to 4G, it will eat up the battery in no time flat.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I think that may have been the problem. I unchecked the boxes. I also get "network unavailable, or network error" messages at times. I was just trying to send a picture to someone, and it said, "Sorry, there's a problem with the network. Please make sure you're connected to the internet, and try again."
Ah I see. Were you trying to send an MMS (picture message) not email with picture?

What happens when you attempt to send an MMS is that if you dont delete the failed message from your message box, it will keep attempting to send it. Thus draining your battery big time.

So go into your 'messaging' app and look for the failed sent message and long press it to delete.

If you have tried sending a few messages and they are still in the failed list, then they are also adding to that battery drain.

T-Mo isnt so hot in San Diego for the most part. Technically its only able to access one 3G/4G band.
I would recommend, if you REALLY are having problems with those connections, to disable 4G or simply use that other battery if you need the speed.

You can disable 4G by going into Settings> Wireless and Network> Mobile Networks> Network Mode> GSM only.

You will get far better coverage by just using GSM over WCDMA with TMo in San Diego. While the data speed might be slower your ping time wont be. In other words unless you are downloading large packets of data from your apps at a time, you likely wont even tell the difference as being that wide of a gap.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,476,825 times
I think we need a reminder about the OP and the original point of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I ordered an HTC incredible and excited to get started with it. Any pointers on using these things?
Dude can start his own thread about battery life. lol
No offense.

First thing I would recommend is downloading the Amazon App Store. It's easy to do. They give away a FAOTD (Free App Of THe Day). A paid app every day for free. I've gotten some really great ones.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think we need a reminder about the OP and the original point of this thread.

Dude can start his own thread about battery life. lol
No offense.

First thing I would recommend is downloading the Amazon App Store. It's easy to do. They give away a FAOTD (Free App Of THe Day). A paid app every day for free. I've gotten some really great ones.
So true! Sorry for the hijack OP

Hope you are enjoying your smartphone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones