Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,347,773 times

Advertisements

Have been using my hubby's iphone 4S, and thought I'd try the S3. Went today to try it out. Loved the way the phone looked and felt in my hands. But the screen on the internet pages was super dim to me!!! At first I though I had the settings wrong. Checked it out, had two clerks check as well. They said that its "just how it is set up", to conserve battery life, etc. The setting were at the highest range for screen brightness.

Is this true? Is there no way to make the screen brighter while reading on websites? What the heck???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,074 posts, read 76,623,012 times
Yes, and it is easy!

Hit the Menu icon button at the bottom left of the screen bezel.
Click "Settings."
Click "Display."
Click "Brightness."
Unclick "Automatic Brightness," which is just too dim, and slide the control all the way to the right.
Click "OK." and you are set.

It is still a bit of a dim screen, but you do have that level of control.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks Mike! I'm gonna head back to the cell store tmo to see if it is bright enough for me. I did really like the phone other than the dim issue. Yeah, did some more searching and this "little issue" continues to pop up.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,419,023 times
If it's the same browser from the S2, the browser has it's own brightness settings, which is annoying. I'm pretty sure you can turn it off, but I use Dolphin browser so I don't know for sure.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Yeah, after posting above, I fooled with the phone and had to disable Automatic Brightness in a browser window. I thought I had taken care of it with the general setting.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is still a bit of a dim screen, but you do have that level of control.
Went back today to try it out. Thanks again. Your tip did help with the brightness, but I don't understand why the screen is STILL a bit dim. Oh well. And, it looks like you have to make the browser/internet screen adjustment every single time.

I really like the appearance of this phone, but not the above stuff. It is so sleek and I love the feel of the screen. I'm going to think about it. If I'm talking this much about the phone and I don't even own it, I imagine it would be an ongoing source of frustration for me if I were to buy it.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,419,023 times
Did you look at the browser brightness settings?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM

^^Yes. Today that's what I did, adjusted the browser brightness settings.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,515,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Went back today to try it out. Thanks again. Your tip did help with the brightness, but I don't understand why the screen is STILL a bit dim. Oh well. And, it looks like you have to make the browser/internet screen adjustment every single time.

I really like the appearance of this phone, but not the above stuff. It is so sleek and I love the feel of the screen. I'm going to think about it. If I'm talking this much about the phone and I don't even own it, I imagine it would be an ongoing source of frustration for me if I were to buy it.
When comparing my mom's GS3 to my Galaxy Nexus, they GS3's screen is definitely dimmer when they are both set at maximum brightness. I don't know why that is because my understanding is they use almost identical screen technology.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
When comparing my mom's GS3 to my Galaxy Nexus, they GS3's screen is definitely dimmer when they are both set at maximum brightness. I don't know why that is because my understanding is they use almost identical screen technology.
It is a nod to battery life, which is the Achilles heel to most smartphones.
My S3 is bright enough, that I turn it down sometimes in darker rooms. So, I guess it works overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones