Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Bruised mobile carriers such as AT&T and Verizon are 'fighting back' against Apple's iPhone, despite the fact that the device has helped them eke out consistently higher average revenue per wireless subscribers since its launch. To hear the carriers tell it, the iPhone is a major inhibitor to their profits as last year they were 'only' generating wireless service profit margins in the 38% to 42% range. But ever since these beleaguered companies started 'fighting back' by implementing data caps, increasing fees for device upgrades and implementing longer waiting periods before users can switch devices, they’ve seen their wireless service profit margins surge. AT&T reported a 45% margin in Q2 2012 and Verizon reported a record-high 49% margin."
v Carriers Blame the iPhone For Data Caps and Increased Upgrade Fees

Posted by samzenpus on Monday August 06, @01:25PM
from the not-our-fault dept.
zacharye writes "Bruised mobile carriers such as AT&T and Verizon are 'fighting back' against Apple's iPhone, despite the fact that the device has helped them eke out consistently higher average revenue per wireless subscribers since its launch. To hear the carriers tell it, the iPhone is a major inhibitor to their profits as last year they were 'only' generating wireless service profit margins in the 38% to 42% range. But ever since these beleaguered companies started 'fighting back' by implementing data caps, increasing fees for device upgrades and implementing longer waiting periods before users can switch devices, they’ve seen their wireless service profit margins surge. AT&T reported a 45% margin in Q2 2012 and Verizon reported a record-high 49% margin."

100 of 223 comments loaded twitter facebook

apple iphone upgrades
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/08/06/169234/carriers-blame-the-iphone-for-data-caps-and-increased-upgrade-fees

You may like to read:

Three Arrests In China Over Baidu Post-Deleting Services
Georgia Apple Store Refuses To Sell iPad To Iranian-American Teen

Apple Store Employees Soak Up the Atmosphere, But Not Much Cash

Why the Tablet Market is Really the iPad Market

Apple Gets the Importance of Packaging; Why Doesn't Google?

Steve Ballmer: We Won't Be Out-Innovated By Apple Anymore

Submission: Carriers blame the iPhone for data caps and increased upgrade fees

Wozniak Predicts Horrible Problems With the Cloud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Perhaps if they spent some profits beefing up their networks...

Old 08-10-2012, 12:54 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Carriers didnt anticipate the amount of people that would want smart phones and how much data they would consume. They are looking ahead way past cell phone users. Household appliances will offer some sort of internet technology at some point and so will other electronics. So in an essence they are looking at the big picture and ripping off the band-aid now. Training customers to pay more and receive less. What pisses me off and I do love my gadgets, but it will get to the point where it will be impossible to just be a regular cell phone user. My teenage son's regular cell broke, the local Verizon store had about 3 choices in phones that did not require a data plan. At one time my cell bill used to be my least expense to now is one of the most expensive.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Carriers didnt anticipate the amount of people that would want smart phones and how much data they would consume.
That's BS, they're raking in the money and laughing all the way to the bank, this isn't an "oh no, we are overwhelmed so we need more money to build more infrastructure," it's "you need this service and you have very few options, the ball is in my court and you will pay what we tell you to pay" - borderline extortion in my book. They're trying to look like the good guys here, and people are actually falling for it.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
I think that the cellular carriers failed to plan for the increased data traffic and are trying to play catch up at this point. I am not excusing them for their lack of planning, but ultimately it is the consumer who pays for it in the end.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
If the reason is iPhone users, why do the rest of us suffer?

Verizon's new upgrade fee is a sham that makes the "free" phone cost $30, the $100 phone $130, the $300 phone $330, and so on.

If my phone costs $330, then tell me it costs $330, not $299.99.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post

Verizon's new upgrade fee is a sham that makes the "free" phone cost $30, the $100 phone $130, the $300 phone $330, and so on.

If my phone costs $330, then tell me it costs $330, not $299.99.
Phones are never free.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I could be wrong, but I have heard that android phones also use data.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Really?? I would have never guessed that.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not as much as iPhones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones