Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Does anyone know if the Lightning adapter (to support old accessories) is a potential FAIL? Not only the $29/$39 price but also as noted in Apple's website: * Video and iPod Out not supported.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with this. They're asking people to spend $29 plus tax on an adapter that will allow them to continue to use older accessories.

What about the people that have the docking speaker systems? The new port means they can no longer dock their iPhones into the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with this. They're asking people to spend $29 plus tax on an adapter that will allow them to continue to use older accessories.

What about the people that have the docking speaker systems? The new port means they can no longer dock their iPhones into the system.
It's a gradual process and progress always has a pricetag. As technology develops, people will need to decide whether the cost of the new tech outweighs the current technology they already possess. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade all your devices with the new adapter. But eventually, in the next year or two, I imagine all of Apple's products with be using the 8-pin adapter so maybe you'll just want to upgrade the technology instead of buying an adapter for your devices.

I'm glad Apple is finally using a smaller connector and I imagine this new 8-pin design will be with us for a LONG time to come. It's the price of progress.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I read an article that Apple is a victim of their own success.

Apple has never really cornered a "mass market" like they have with the iPhone. So now, they're playing it safe and familiar.

Some might argue that OS X really hasn't changed that much overtime either and that MacBooks are just based off incremental upgrades; and this is true. However what makes the iPhone so popular now is: subsidies. If the iPhone wasn't subsidized, it would end up like their computers; solid, capable, but expensive and niche.

The iPhone 5 is a let down. I was excited for Siri, I was excited for the "Retina Display," I was excited for the great camera in the iPhone 4 and 4S. Even though there have been upgrades there is no one feature that the iPhone 5 will have that I really am lusting over. The bigger screen is arguably a turn off and the dock connector hearkens when they removed Firewire from their machines. It's the combination of "We know what's best for you" to "Yet we want to play it safe now." The iPhone is now (for me) a reliable appliance and I think this is what Apple wanted all along. When you take away the high price tag through subsidy you lose part of that allure that sets their computers apart. It is just another device.

I loved the design of the 4S and I think it will be very tough to surpass it. I liked the heavier weight, I liked the thickness. It was substantial and I think to myself when I see the new one and hear how its lighter; I don't like it. With every past iPhone the next iPhone was always better. The iPhone 5 IMO not so much.

If HTC can continue on their path of solid, well designed phones (like the One X) and if Apple doesn't do anything that grabs my attention within the year (I'm assuming if reception is bad (no pun) they'll just jump straight to iPhone 6) my next phone will be an HTC.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
HTC's break.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 PM

648 posts, read 1,422,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I am not excited about the Iphone 5 myself. I would have loved to see them really come out of the box with something new. I was hoping for them to come out with a "frameless" phone. Of course going into today, I knew they were not going too, but one can hope.

I guess this just reaffirms, that it is the SIII for me in February.

The SGS3 will be old news in february. What exactly were you looking for in the i5? Also, what makes the SGS3 revolutionary? It's basically the skyrocket from last year with a .3 inch bigger screen.You are really spoiled if you feel like every year is going to be like 2007. Like I said before, the UI can use a refresh, but other that that, plan for smartphones to only be a spec bump during upgrades.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
The SGS3 will be old news in february. What exactly were you looking for in the i5? Also, what makes the SGS3 revolutionary? It's basically the skyrocket from last year with a .3 inch bigger screen.You are really spoiled if you feel like every year is going to be like 2007. Like I said before, the UI can use a refresh, but other that that, plan for smartphones to only be a spec bump during upgrades.
This (well, I didn't check the specs on older Samsung models to verify, but the gist is correct at least). We've basically entered the evolutionary stage of smartphones. Those expecting a revolution every 6-12 months are going to be sorely disappointed.

The iPhone 5 is pretty much exactly what was expected - faster processor, 4G, larger screen. Seems like a perfectly good update to me.

I won't be buying it, but that's just because I like to jump platforms every couple years.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM

648 posts, read 1,422,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This (well, I didn't check the specs on older Samsung models to verify, but the gist is correct at least). We've basically entered the evolutionary stage of smartphones. Those expecting a revolution every 6-12 months are going to be sorely disappointed.

The iPhone 5 is pretty much exactly what was expected - faster processor, 4G, larger screen. Seems like a perfectly good update to me.

I won't be buying it, but that's just because I like to jump platforms every couple years.
I think ios works perfectly, I just think it need an updated look. Maybe one home screen with animations and widgets. This is where Android beats Apple.

The SGS3 is a good phone, but I was just pointing out that it was not revolutionary compared to the previous model. This is why I can't understand why people are so upset about the i5. Next year will be a very interesting year for smartphones, because I honestly can't think of anything big that can be offered other than software. Maybe Battery life, but I don't see that changing for a while.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
I agree with the above posts. I think smartphones are saturated and will be for a while. I only expect hardware bumps from here on out for iPhone.

To be honest, I don't think Apple's next big thing that makes you go "wow I must have this" will be a phone at all. I think it will be a television; integrated with the rest of Apple's ecosystem. I would imagine your iPhone or iPad could be used as remotes or it will feature Siri where you just tell the television what you want to watch and/or record.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I agree with the above posts. I think smartphones are saturated and will be for a while. I only expect hardware bumps from here on out for iPhone.

To be honest, I don't think Apple's next big thing that makes you go "wow I must have this" will be a phone at all. I think it will be a television; integrated with the rest of Apple's ecosystem. I would imagine your iPhone or iPad could be used as remotes or it will feature Siri where you just tell the television what you want to watch and/or record.
Eh. There was alot of hype for the Apple TV rollout and it was a big lot of nothing.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I've had Iphone since the very first day. I am going to buy the IP5 today because I'm stuck on the 3GS. I wasn't able to upgrade to the 4 series without paying full price. So now that I'm out of contract and my 3GS is on the outs, it makes perfect sense to me. I will be buying two extra adapters as for my car charger and my LG surround sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones