Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I don't think so.

I have two smartphones, neither of which are an iphone or android.

They were both cluttered, and didn't offer everything I needed from a phone.
So you think your anecdotal experience trumps an NSF sponsored research institute study?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Here is my take on the iphone 5. There is noting revolutionary or ground breaking about the iphone 5. Thenew features of the iphone 5 such as 4-g lte and a 4 inch screen have been a standard on android phones for the past two years. I gotta say apple welcoe to 2010. Apple is indeed playing catch up in the tech department. People must understand that the popularity of the iphone is only a fad or a trend and trends dont last forever. The asthetics of the iphone of changed which was a novelty for many users and users dont like change. For one the 4 inch screen might not feel comfortable in the hands of iphone users especially women. Two the new dock connection is different, all third party accessories using 30 pin connector must go in the garbage. Last is phone carriers 2gb of lte on verizon and atat will burn like wildfire. If verizon and atat users are not grand fathered in unlimited data plans expect to pay for extra overages with big red and big blue. If not head over to sprints iphone 5 which has unlimited data but it comes at a price also sprints 3g is slow and lte is vert limited. Me i think apple is going to be riding low in the next few years. Dont get me wrong people will buy iphones from hipsters to soccermoms, poor people to rich and wealthy. Apple is going to go down hill for making little changes that hurts users in a big way for its average users. As for me i have been using android for the past three years and i love the fact how i can adjust the phone to fit me and the os updates.get better evert year as well as visually. Ios 6 visually looks like ios1 of 2007. Also apple is facing tough competition from samsung galaxy s3 android phone and nomia lumia 920 both phones are superior to iphone 5 maybe iphone6 or iphone 7 might match nokia lumia 920 and samsung galaxy #3 in specs. Apple is going to go down hill in the cellphone market.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,664,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Here is my take on the iphone 5. There is noting revolutionary or ground breaking about the iphone 5. Thenew features of the iphone 5 such as 4-g lte and a 4 inch screen have been a standard on android phones for the past two years. I gotta say apple welcoe to 2010. Apple is indeed playing catch up in the tech department. People must understand that the popularity of the iphone is only a fad or a trend and trends dont last forever. The asthetics of the iphone of changed which was a novelty for many users and users dont like change. For one the 4 inch screen might not feel comfortable in the hands of iphone users especially women. Two the new dock connection is different, all third party accessories using 30 pin connector must go in the garbage. Last is phone carriers 2gb of lte on verizon and atat will burn like wildfire. If verizon and atat users are not grand fathered in unlimited data plans expect to pay for extra overages with big red and big blue. If not head over to sprints iphone 5 which has unlimited data but it comes at a price also sprints 3g is slow and lte is vert limited. Me i think apple is going to be riding low in the next few years. Dont get me wrong people will buy iphones from hipsters to soccermoms, poor people to rich and wealthy. Apple is going to go down hill for making little changes that hurts users in a big way for its average users. As for me i have been using android for the past three years and i love the fact how i can adjust the phone to fit me and the os updates.get better evert year as well as visually. Ios 6 visually looks like ios1 of 2007. Also apple is facing tough competition from samsung galaxy s3 android phone and nomia lumia 920 both phones are superior to iphone 5 maybe iphone6 or iphone 7 might match nokia lumia 920 and samsung galaxy #3 in specs. Apple is going to go down hill in the cellphone market.
First of all, please write in paragraphs...this is quite difficult to read.

Let's clear up some of your absolutely false statements. 4G LTE was first offered on Verizon with the HTC Thuderbolt in late March of 2011 and it really didn't start appearing on more smartphones until the Winter of 2011 and Spring of 2012 when all new phones started being 4G LTE capable. The infrastructure for 4G was pretty limited until the Spring of 2012 as well, it really didn't cover many areas when the first phones started appearing which basically rendered it useless for 80%-90% of the country.

The smaller versus larger screen is mainly a personal preference. I personally like having a larger screen but not a huge screen. I have a Droid Incredible with a 3.8 inch screen and find it fine for what I use it for. I've tried a friend's Galaxy S3 and just found it too big and awkward to hold and make calls with, definitely not for me. Ideally, I think something around 4.3 inches is ideal but I think having a 4" screen is adequate for the new iPhone.

You're also completely off-base calling the iPhone a "trend". I could just as easily call Android a trend but that's also false. The iPhone is for users who want a streamlined, straight-forward experience whereas Android users are more prone to customizing their phone. I have an Android but I'm not a fan of customization, I want function over form.

You don't understand 4G either, PLEASE know what you're talking about before discussing it. Having a 4G phone doesn't mean you'll burn though any more usage than you would a 3G phone...it all depends on WHAT you're using it for. I check emails, browse the web, check Twitter, etc on my phone and having 4G doesn't mean I'll be using anymore data than 3G. NOW users who stream videos will likely use more data but the majority of users won't.

And please...how exactly is the S3 "superior" to the new iPhone? Cite some substantive data because you're talking out of your butt right now.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,227,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So you think your anecdotal experience trumps an NSF sponsored research institute study?

lol. are you kidding me?

because a study says the iphone is better, i'm supposed to disregard my own opinion and believe what they tell me?

sorry i didn't drink the kool-aid.

i looked at all the options, and found something i liked better.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:26 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,619,099 times
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/16/...e-1ghz-a6-cpu/

Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 PM

647 posts, read 1,420,132 times
WOW!!! The S3 just got OWNED!! And it was the quad core international model. I'm sure the (US) S3 model with dual core would be even worst.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
WOW!!! The S3 just got OWNED!! And it was the quad core international model. I'm sure the (US) S3 model with dual core would be even worst.
Why are you so sure?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
lol. are you kidding me?

because a study says the iphone is better, i'm supposed to disregard my own opinion and believe what they tell me?

sorry i didn't drink the kool-aid.

i looked at all the options, and found something i liked better.
You should read the thread and the study. The research was obviously supporting a general consensus. The study goes into details about why the user experience has little to do with the actual hardware or the OS.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
First of all, please write in paragraphs...this is quite difficult to read.

Let's clear up some of your absolutely false statements. 4G LTE was first offered on Verizon with the HTC Thuderbolt in late March of 2011 and it really didn't start appearing on more smartphones until the Winter of 2011 and Spring of 2012 when all new phones started being 4G LTE capable. The infrastructure for 4G was pretty limited until the Spring of 2012 as well, it really didn't cover many areas when the first phones started appearing which basically rendered it useless for 80%-90% of the country.

The smaller versus larger screen is mainly a personal preference. I personally like having a larger screen but not a huge screen. I have a Droid Incredible with a 3.8 inch screen and find it fine for what I use it for. I've tried a friend's Galaxy S3 and just found it too big and awkward to hold and make calls with, definitely not for me. Ideally, I think something around 4.3 inches is ideal but I think having a 4" screen is adequate for the new iPhone.

You're also completely off-base calling the iPhone a "trend". I could just as easily call Android a trend but that's also false. The iPhone is for users who want a streamlined, straight-forward experience whereas Android users are more prone to customizing their phone. I have an Android but I'm not a fan of customization, I want function over form.

You don't understand 4G either, PLEASE know what you're talking about before discussing it. Having a 4G phone doesn't mean you'll burn though any more usage than you would a 3G phone...it all depends on WHAT you're using it for. I check emails, browse the web, check Twitter, etc on my phone and having 4G doesn't mean I'll be using anymore data than 3G. NOW users who stream videos will likely use more data but the majority of users won't.

And please...how exactly is the S3 "superior" to the new iPhone? Cite some substantive data because you're talking out of your butt right now.
I dont understand 4g? This is one of the funniest statements I ever heard on citydata. Yes i understand 4g in matter of fact i havd been using 4g for two years already first with my evo running on wimax and now with the s3 running on sprint lte. Do you know neither wimax or lte is true 4g, real 4g speed is still way off. Wimax and lte is more like 3.5 g. Iphone is a pop culture icon and can be seen through out movies and tv shows to even fashion. The iphone is also a status symbol for many people with money as well as pretentious wanna be urban folks. Some buy iphones because it is cool and its what everyone has. Dont get me wrong the iphone just works, its a phenominal device that help improve peoples lives and also created millionaires from its app store. You need to understand that all good things must come to an end and apple wont dominate forver. Trends and fads change for better or worse. Blackberry was a popular phone and before blackberry it was the motorola razr and plam treo. Primarily i use a cellphone not to loom cool or stupid but just tl make phone calls. All i gotta say for apple iphone is welcome to 2010 interms of specs and you speedy have fun buying a 600 dolla iphone 5 unsubsidized in order not to compromise your verizon unlimited data plan.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I dont understand 4g? This is one of the funniest statements I ever heard on citydata. Yes i understand 4g in matter of fact i havd been using 4g for two years already first with my evo running on wimax and now with the s3 running on sprint lte. Do you know neither wimax or lte is true 4g, real 4g speed is still way off. Wimax and lte is more like 3.5 g. Iphone is a pop culture icon and can be seen through out movies and tv shows to even fashion. The iphone is also a status symbol for many people with money as well as pretentious wanna be urban folks. Some buy iphones because it is cool and its what everyone has. Dont get me wrong the iphone just works, its a phenominal device that help improve peoples lives and also created millionaires from its app store. You need to understand that all good things must come to an end and apple wont dominate forver. Trends and fads change for better or worse. Blackberry was a popular phone and before blackberry it was the motorola razr and plam treo. Primarily i use a cellphone not to loom cool or stupid but just tl make phone calls. All i gotta say for apple iphone is welcome to 2010 interms of specs and you speedy have fun buying a 600 dolla iphone 5 unsubsidized in order not to compromise your verizon unlimited data plan.
Actually, Wimax and the current LTE are indeed, considered 4G. The irony that you preface this entire post with a question about your understanding of 4g.

Last edited by NJBest; 09-16-2012 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones