Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times

Advertisements

The iPhone 5 will sell, and sell very well. Apple has enough loyal followers and a great reputation with consumers at large that their newest phone will move tons of units.

Remember, Apple is the best when it comes to advertising their products. They always make sure to highlight certain aspects much better than Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. Most consumers won't pay attention to the fact that 4G LTE phones have been out for 18 plus months, or NFC chips have been in various phones for a year or so.

I am just surprised there have been so many leaks heading into the announcement. It is pretty clear this year the amount of leaks are a lot bigger than any previous release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The iPhone 5 will sell, and sell very well. Apple has enough loyal followers and a great reputation with consumers at large that their newest phone will move tons of units.
Aren't they called iSheep ?

I do agree that Apple will still continue to find enough buyers of their products, just as they almost always do with successful devices like the iPad, iPhone, iPod, MacBook, etc. Sure every manufacturer has a dud product release, but until someone comes out with a revolutionary design/product and Apple fails to adapt they will continue selling like "hot cakes". How many times since the original iPhone have customers been lining up to buy the latest version?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:27 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
I don't know...Apple really needs to step up their game.

iOS is really showing it's age; ironically tacking on Android features, like the notification bar...Things like not having Youtube and Google maps (and still no navigation) definitely weighs in the back of my mind when looking for a new phone in the next year or so.

LTE is nice and all, but it's been a battery hog in most Android phones and I'd expect it to be in the iPhone as well.

Plus Google Now and voice recognition (although half-baked) seems way better and responsive than Siri ever was, again Apple really needs to make improvements in this area.

I do like the non-fragmentation of the iPhone as well as the availability of cheap(er) parts and ubiquitous accessories. Plus the only phone that rivals the iPhone in build quality is HTC, and that's been kind of a recent development.

So personally I'm on the fence until the reviews of the 5 come out; I'll predict it won't be that big of a leap, though it will sell a ton.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
I always laugh when I see the Siri commercials. The thing never works the way it does in the commercials. My friends and I have tried on several occasions to replicate the commands the people in the commercials do and it always fails. Don't get me wrong, Siri is an interesting tool, but for the most part, it's a gimmick. Being able to do some tasks hands free is nice, but the commercials overstate what its capable of.

I also find it interesting that Apple has pulled those lame Mac Genius ads, a smart move.

I believe iOS 6 has navigation, no?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I believe iOS 6 has navigation, no?
Yep, although turn by turn is iPhone 4S and later only. I wonder if it'll work better than navigation in Android. Back in the 2.x days, the pronunciation of street names was so jacked up as to be useless, and on more than one occasion it suggested going the wrong way down one way streets.

Quote:
Man, I cannot stand blanket statements like "thisOS blows thatOS away!".
"thatOS breaks all the time, I know because I have friends who broke their phone, while myOS never broke".

Both Operating Systems are excellent. Android is much easier to tweak and do some basic things that, imo, all phones should allow but yet that are still BOTH excellent OS'es.

Once all you fanbois (for both camps) can accept that, then we can have an adult conversation. I think part of the fanboyism stems from that fact that people think "I made the right choice, so you're wrong". Just stop that.
Now now, there you go trying to inject rationality and reasonableness into the discussion. If there's one thing I've learned at C-D, it's that posting like an immature, clueless twelve year old brat is apparently something to aspire to.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
Didn't know about the navigation in iOS 6. That's cool. However I'm still not sold on Apple's maps.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Man, I cannot stand blanket statements like "thisOS blows thatOS away!".
"thatOS breaks all the time, I know because I have friends who broke their phone, while myOS never broke".

Both Operating Systems are excellent. Android is much easier to tweak and do some basic things that, imo, all phones should allow but yet that are still BOTH excellent OS'es.

Once all you fanbois (for both camps) can accept that, then we can have an adult conversation. I think part of the fanboyism stems from that fact that people think "I made the right choice, so you're wrong". Just stop that.

Fact is, the market is hitting saturation. Most iPhone 5 sales will be to people upgrading older iPhones. A tiny percent will be new customers. So Apple's marketshare share will not erode, but it isn't going to increase much at all.
Apple has peaked. Apple will start to decline but not for any reasons mentioned here (although partly based on Android's success).

Microsoft.
Microsoft is betting the farm on Windows8. Mark my words, in 5 years we will have a 3 way split in marketshare between these 3 companies in phones/tablets.

PS: Apple does NOT replace broken phones with new ones for "little or no cost". Replacements are always refurbs and are almost never "at little or no cost".
Replaced my wifes cracked iPad: $250 for a refurb'ed one. Anything you've read online about someone getting a cheap replacement is the exception, NOT the norm.
Buddy with a broken iPhone4 screen: Apple quoted him $250. He put a screen protector on it and is waiting for the iPhone5 (where, again, at least 80% of iPhone5 sales will be to people like him. IMO. Heck, I bet it will be more like 90%).
Yeah all true..

I think one of the biggest problems for apple now is the fact that they're losing many customers, so much people who loved iPhone & IOS are seriously hooked onto the Galaxy S3 & Android.. And at this point I don't see them going back to apple.. It's a much more inherent problem then simply adding a few new features to IOS6 which seriously along with the new iPhone 5 will disappoint.. The S3 came at a perfect time where apple never anticipated..

Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Yeah all true..

I think one of the biggest problems for apple now is the fact that they're losing many customers, so much people who loved iPhone & IOS are seriously hooked onto the Galaxy S3 & Android.. And at this point I don't see them going back to apple.. It's a much more inherent problem then simply adding a few new features to IOS6 which seriously along with the new iPhone 5 will disappoint.. The S3 came at a perfect time where apple never anticipated..
The s3 (along with the evo lte) is a great competitor to the iPhone.... but it's not so much better that Apple is left in the dust.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I think one of the biggest problems for apple now is the fact that they're losing many customers
Do you have so much as a single fact to back up this assertion?

Looks like they're just bleeding customers...

Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
As we miniaturize and miniaturize, I think making a larger Iphone will let the smart guys at Apple pack in more capability into that larger package.
The 4" screen and accompanying case size will make life easier for them.

I suspect an Iphone 5 will show up around here for the New Year. I'm not too worried about it being a bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones