Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times

Advertisements

I constantly hear that Apple has significantly more Apps than Android, especially the High Deffinition (HD) Apps, and am wondering what the hold up is with Android Apps?

How far behind is Android?

Last edited by marc515; 09-05-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Because iOS apps generate something like 6 times as much revenue as Android apps. If you're selling an app for money, it makes sense to develop it for the store that brings in the most revenue.

That said, Android is very popular and seems to have all the major apps. I have no idea what "the HD Apps" are, so can't really comment on that.

I think the real question is does the platform have all the apps you want and does it get apps that are up and coming. The answer is yes for both Android and iOS (and even Windows Phone). Whether one store has more junk apps in it that you don't want than another store seems pretty irrelevant.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I think the "app war" is almost over and largely irrelevant. Most new meaningful apps appear for both Apple and Android. Sometimes the Apple version is a bit better, but it is no longer an "available only on Apple" situation. Android has over 600,000 apps now. Thousands and thousands of apps on Android and Apple are complete garbage now. How many smartphone flashlights will the market support?

Apple's super-tight control and higher royalties may also cause many developers to shift slowly to favor Android (if slightly).

Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sometimes the Apple version is a bit better,
And sometimes the Android one is better.
Let's all work together and stop spreading myths.

The biggest difference my wife noticed after going from Android to iOS was the number of FREE apps. Apps that were free, albeit ad supported, on Android were not offered as freebies on iOS.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I constantly hear that Apple has significantly more Apps than Android, especially the High Deffinition (HD) Apps, and am wondering what the hold up is with Android Apps?

How far behind is Android?
It's also related to Android fragmentation. Developers can write one app or iOS, optimize it for both iPhone and iPad if applicable, and call it a day. There are hundreds of different Android devices. Developers don't want to risk bad reviews (i.e., it doesn't work on X-Device and Y-Device) so they have to be more circumspect on what (and when) they release apps.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Our IT guy told me Android has a lot more apps because anyone can write them. However many of the apps are dupicative. You may have 25 apps that do the same thing. Some better than others.

One thing is clear, Android has a lot more free apps.

Recenlty we all downloaded Geochaching apps onto our family phones. The Anrdoid one is useless. the Iphone one is ok. the best one is the one for the new windows phones my daughters have (Nokia something 900). That probably has the fewest apps, but so far, they have been able ot find everthing they wanted. They are not too upset about no fish identifier app avialable.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Recenlty we all downloaded Geochaching apps onto our family phones. The Anrdoid one is useless.
Have you tried c:geo? I don't get out caching much anymore, but that app seems to have everything I need and works just fine.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our IT guy told me Android has a lot more apps because anyone can write them.
Huh? Don't get that. Anyone can write iOS apps, too. It doesn't require anything crazy to build for one or the other.

Quote:
However many of the apps are dupicative. You may have 25 apps that do the same thing. Some better than others.
Also true of both.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Huh? Don't get that. Anyone can write iOS apps, too. It doesn't require anything crazy to build for one or the other.

Also true of both.
Yup - anyone can write iOS apps. The one major difference for a developer is that you must distribute your apps via Apple and iTunes. Your app must be approved by Apple. And if your app has a price, Apple takes 30% of the fee. Android also collected fees if the app is distributed via Google's Play store. But there are many places to get Android apps including Amazon.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yup - anyone can write iOS apps. The one major difference for a developer is that you must distribute your apps via Apple and iTunes. Your app must be approved by Apple. And if your app has a price, Apple takes 30% of the fee. Android also collected fees if the app is distributed via Google's Play store. But there are many places to get Android apps including Amazon.
You also have to use a Mac to build and submit apps, there is a $99 annual fee to join the developer program, IIRC you have to test on physical hardware before approval, and you have to have your company listed with D&B if you register as a corporation.

If you want to develop apps that aren't appropriate for the app store (In house apps or LOB stuff that's meaningless to the general public), then it's $299 a year.

I'm not necessarily opposed to some of these things, but it adds hurdles to developing apps that don't exist to the same degrees on the Android and Windows Phone platforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones