Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,922,087 times

Advertisements

And off to a good start by the looks of things...

Apple Totally Stole the Design of the iOS 6 iPad Clock
Where To Keep Track of All the Worst Apple Maps Fails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,146,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
People really don't remember the origins of the iPhone and its original OS.

If all they're doing is having startup pains with a new mapping app and getting sued for a very generic-looking clock face, this OS is a raging success already.

Google Maps was kinda nuts when it first launched.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,706,083 times
I want the Google maps app to be released ASAP, but these new maps aren't so bad. They should have waited to release this when it was more ready. I hope it gets updated more often than the old maps app did"

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM

1,387 posts, read 988,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I want the Google maps app to be released ASAP, but these new maps aren't so bad. They should have waited to release this when it was more ready. I hope it gets updated more often than the old maps app did"

It actually good that they released it now. The more people the use in and use the "report" button in the maps, the faster it gets updated.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,405,981 times
I'm not sure about that. I realized about five minutes after updating to IOS 6 how much I really relied on Google Maps. I have another mapping software on my phone, including several paid apps, but somewhere in the past two years I stopped using them. I'm just glad I'm in a slow season and won't have to travel much, because from what I've seen so far, I'm going to be frustrated quite a bit. Especially if I have to travel over seas to any Asian countries.

But, I can see where some of the choice Apple has made will be of a benefit in the long run. Icons for local restaurants is helpful, but I'd like to be able to configure that. Add in services I wanted/need or am looking specifically for. The lack of bike directions (which follow designated bike ways,) is going to be a pain. The lack of transit directions just as much, and third party apps for my city come in two flavors, unusable and inaccurate or expensive. Hopefully some of my destinations have transit apps of a better quality then I'm used too.

Other little things like the entire eastern half of my city being marked as a Park space will be fixed in time, but there are some huge growing pains here.

The only other annoying thing I can think of is that text messages are shared across my iPhone and my iPad. I haven't figured out how to turn this off yet, as I don't care to get text messages on my iPad at all.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,922,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
It actually good that they released it now. The more people the use in and use the "report" button in the maps, the faster it gets updated.
Ahh, the old use your customers as beta testers trick

Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,658,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I also want Google Maps back ASAP. Evidently, Apple maps believes I somehow live in the middle of a lake. I've also tried to search for some of my favorite, local eateries and so far Apple hasn't found a single one! I've never had problems with Google Maps finding destinations or restaurants but this Apple maps is absolutely awful.

I do like Apple products but these maps are complete and utter garbage.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,254,830 times
I tried iOS 6 on my wife's phone and it seemed OK.

Siri seemed a little better; I asked "what movie I should see" and it gave me the top 25 movies on Rotten Tomatoes. So that was pretty cool. Siri needs to be able to answer anything in order to be truly useful (for me). This is where Google I think has the advantage; their search engine. Apple is making partnerships with other apps/companies to be integrated (like Rotten Tomatoes) so we'll see what strategy works the best.

I want to be able to ask Siri concrete things like "How many cylinders does a Bugatti Veyron have?" I don't know if it can answer that, but it should. It should be able to aggregate information from the web and spit it out. Kinda like how Watson from IBM worked.

Passbook is a good idea but kinda "eh" at the same time.

And Maps, at least looked nice. I didn't use them in any great detail either.

I don't use the phone daily so I couldn't comment on any of the notification or call changes.

Overall from a somewhat objective view, I still think it's a fine but aging OS.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post

The only other annoying thing I can think of is that text messages are shared across my iPhone and my iPad. I haven't figured out how to turn this off yet, as I don't care to get text messages on my iPad at all.
You can turn off messages on your iPad: Settings > imessage> off

Old 09-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I also want Google Maps back ASAP. Evidently, Apple maps believes I somehow live in the middle of a lake. I've also tried to search for some of my favorite, local eateries and so far Apple hasn't found a single one! I've never had problems with Google Maps finding destinations or restaurants but this Apple maps is absolutely awful.

I do like Apple products but these maps are complete and utter garbage.
Google Maps is better, but still gets things wrong too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones