U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,864,503 times

Advertisements

I've really fallen behind in the electronics area. I'm a current ATT user and will keep with them. I don't text nor do I plan to (none of my friends do either), I only use it for calling and I might use it to do a little net surfing at work on my lunch break and thats free wifi.

Att is offering some deals on the I4's right now and I've been looking at them and some of the Blackberries...I don't know enough to make a good decision and it's scary, I know going into the store they'll try to sell me stuff that I don't want.

I do my major surfing and net stuff at home on my desktop with DSL, so my data usage would be pretty low if not non existant.

I did look at the 2 non data phones they have but they get such poor ratings I realize it's time for me to go with the flow.

Soooo what do I need - just the basics?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 PM

900 posts, read 2,257,455 times
I can relate to you, I was you about a week ago until I saw that AT&T was offering the Sony Ion for free with an upgrade. I had a flip phone too and had never upgraded at all. I was debating whether to get an I-phone (I have a I-pod and love it) or get a cheaper smartphone since I'm in NYC where I-phones are being swiped left and right, and also I didn't want to pay more on my bill each month.

Since I'm not on the go much I was content to use my I-pod at home but with the free offer I thought it was a good time to decide. I didn't want to get the I-phone simply b/c personally I would be too afraid to use it in public so I wanted a smartphone that's not so easily identified.

You won't go wrong with an I-phone per the ease of use and other pluses. I wish I had the freedom and money to use and carry it here but I may just buy a non-contract earlier model I-phone in case someone does steal my Ion.

I'm just starting to become familiar with this Android phone and as silly as it seems I like you am afraid. I'm starting to get a little more relaxed. I'm just afraid to download apps that might charge my AT&T account anytime it upgrades. With my I-pod I don't worry about that since its connected to my cable company's wi-fi but another poster here helped me by telling me I can connect to my home's wi-fi on my smartphone, but what if I'm away from home when those apps upgrade? Oh my. I guess my data plan will be enough. Does the Android like the I-phone let you decide when you want to upgrade an app?

Luv, who is Android paralyzed .

P.S. I love how the I-phone lets you know exactly where to go for apps, Android on the other hand really doesn't. I'm guessing you have to go to Google but is there a page similar to I-tunes for Android? Someone tell me where to go. Now I'm starting feel like the old fogies who are learning new technology.

Good luck ReturningWest with your decision.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,504,015 times
If you switch from a flip phone to smart phone, you will end up paying for data.

I got the smallest package as I have no need for Apps. and I believe At&t raise there rates for that but I rarely use data with wifi.

I rarely text too so I have smallest package, if I go over no biggy only a dollar for that month.

Check with Amazon Wireless, I bought my Blackberry Torch for 1 cent. In December when my contract ends I am going to go to same site and im going to order a Samsung Captivate Glide as it has bigger keyboard and screen.
My service is with At&T.

If you have kids box and store that flip phone it might be collecter one day, like rotary phones.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,957,501 times
If you wish to stay with ATT then they offer some phones which are not androids such as the Pantech Pursuit II which would be a good in between phone if you do not wish to use the internet.

There are also many other unlocked phones you can buy online at retailers such as Compusa.com Newegg.com Walmart and others, so you can just buy an unlocked phone and then put in your sim card from your current ATT phone and it will work and you do not have to sign up for a contract.

There are also prepaid plans which can save a person a bundle if you do not use a cell phone often. TMobile has one plan where you get 1000 minute for $100 and the minutes are good for a year and any left over minutes would carry over into the next year, so it is important to evaluate how many minutes you use a month and then decide what plan is best for you and then which phone you can use on that plan.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM

24,497 posts, read 39,077,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
P.S. I love how the I-phone lets you know exactly where to go for apps, Android on the other hand really doesn't. I'm guessing you have to go to Google but is there a page similar to I-tunes for Android? Someone tell me where to go. Now I'm starting feel like the old fogies who are learning new technology.
Android phones have the "Play Store" and it serves the same purpose as the App Store on iPhones. It's where you get all your apps.

Android is open market... so there are other "stores" such as the Amazon app store. But it doesn't have anything more than the Play Store. Pricing might be different.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 PM

24,497 posts, read 39,077,707 times
Given that adoption of blackberries has fallen below 3%, attaining a blackberry is "going with the flow". The flow tends to be iPhones and Android phones. I always suggest that people try out smart phones for 2 years and if it doesn't provide value, switch back to a feature phone. Don't overlook the value just because you think you won't use it effectively. Statistically, this isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones