Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. Maps has worked fine for me so far in my area.

Apple had maps sorted out just enough to release it. They'll perfect it over time.
Appld could have released a map of 50 states and the iphone 5 would have still sold like hotcakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Being the perfectionists that he was, I highly doubt it. Your thoughts?
Apple has a long history of releasing unfinished, buggy products/software. But why shouldn't they? Even though most people know not to purchase "v1.0" of Apple anything, they still do; usually in large numbers. Apple has a tendency to hype something up, then fixing it after they sold millions of units.

Quote:
You're referring to the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field.

Yeah. Jobs would've shipped Apple Maps and cut Google out. Does anyone care that Google wouldn't allow Apple turn by turn because it was exclusive to Android?

I see why Apple ditched them.
Call me crazy, but I swear the voice in Google Maps is the same voice used in SIRI.

Google claims that Apple dropped Google Maps because Google Maps was too advanced for iOS and that Apple didn't like Google Maps calling all the shots.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Tim Cook came out and apologized for the Maps fiasco. Smart move. Something Steve Jobs probably would not have done as evidence by his reaction to the design flaw the iPhone 4 had with the antenna.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Even if maps and siri is flawed users still sip apples kool aidd.
Do most people even know what the Kool Aid reference means???

Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Appld could have released a map of 50 states and the iphone 5 would have still sold like hotcakes.
Yes. Which is why Android phonemakers fear Apple.

And they should. They wish they could sell phones like that.

LOL.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Perfection hardly describes a number of Apple software products and upgrades over the Jobs era.
Agreed;has well as so many other devices by other makers.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Apple has a long history of releasing unfinished, buggy products/software. But why shouldn't they? Even though most people know not to purchase "v1.0" of Apple anything, they still do; usually in large numbers. Apple has a tendency to hype something up, then fixing it after they sold millions of units.

Call me crazy, but I swear the voice in Google Maps is the same voice used in SIRI.

Google claims that Apple dropped Google Maps because Google Maps was too advanced for iOS and that Apple didn't like Google Maps calling all the shots.

Aw... they're just whiny because they lost all that marketing revenue from the Google Ads in Google maps on iPhone.

I wonder if Siri is the same voice?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I tried Google Maps in the browser and so far it beats the old app, IMO. I'd love to see Apple's Maps succeed so that there is more competition. The Mapquest app is good, but it doesn't work smoothly on my iphone 4.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
For iPhone users looking for an alternative, MapQuest has been recommended in some articles. It's a free app.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
Quote:
Aw... they're just whiny because they lost all that marketing revenue from the Google Ads in Google maps on iPhone.

I wonder if Siri is the same voice?
Siri is the same voice as my Garmin! A few day's ago I had them both going just to see if they would give me the same route (they didn't) but it was a little freaky having two siri voices in the car with me yelling at me to go a certain way.

I kind of wish people would move on past Steve Jobs. Yes, he was borderline genius in marketing and business but as sad as it is, he's not coming back this time. Tim Cook is a different person than Steve Jobs was and you can bet that he's going to do the best job he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones