Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 06:29 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, let's help each other find free stuff.

Where Can I Find...

1. A Google Maps/Navigation Preloader App? I don't have enough data to run navigation all the way to my destination. Where can I find an app that will preload my trip while I'm on wifi and then give me directions while I'm not connected to a data carrier? Doesn't have to be google nav, but I'd prefer it.

2. The best data limiter program. I need to set a tiny monthly cap of 50MB of cell tower data. Unlimited Wifi.

3. A battery saver for Wifi connectivity, or just in general? I'd rather not switch my phone's wifi off every time I leave the house. Is there an app I can run which will limit how often my phone hunts for/uses wifi?

4. Barcode scanner/seeker. Which one is the best?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM

290 posts, read 922,035 times
4. google goggles

Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
is there an android app that can turn a screenshot into a .pdf?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM

21,877 posts, read 25,146,349 times
1. Google maps has offline caching built in.
2. Power Toggles
3. Auto WiFi or WiFi Sentry, never used either.
4. Googles.

I use Adobe CreatePDF, there's also FoxIt which is a bit cheaper. Probably not worth it if you're only using it to turn screenshots into a PDF. There's a variety of free online-based PDF options that would make more sense than paying $5-10.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:34 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
1. Google maps has offline caching built in.
Is it reliable? Can I save space if I omit the satellite view?

I'd like to permanently save a map of my city for offline use. Is this possible?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post

I'd like to permanently save a map of my city for offline use. Is this possible?
Not sure how realiable it is (or if you can even get the satellite view), but there are some pretty straight forward instructions here: How to get offline Google maps on your Android phone right now - GSMArena Blog

It also appears that you'll have to redo the cache every 30 days or so.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 AM

21,877 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post

Yup. I use it for the foot hills where data coverage is hit or miss. Size is limited to around 70 mb (map only) which will give you a goodly sized area. You can't quite fit all of greater Los Angeles in one section, but you can always download more than one block.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone!

How about a data-free gps tracker for both my phone and other family phones? I'm using a basic app which SMS's me with a google map coodinates link, but it's a little clunky. Are there any good free realtime family tracker programs which don't require that the other phone be connected to data services?

This SMS system is fine, but I'd like something that was a little more seamlessly integrated into maps or something. The "360" locator is pretty slick, but it requires that the phones be connected to data services, and I rarely do because my data is so limited, so it's pretty useless to me.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
It's been a while since i've used them, but I think Maps(-) and Maps(+) have offline map caching that is less size-limited than Google Maps.

Both are available on Google Play by searching for "coderminus". The + version is paid while the - version is ad-supported.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking for a cell phone tracker so I can find family members and friends. I'm using Kidstracker right now, which is ok. You install it on a phone, set up a keyword, then text that keyword to the phone. The phone will silently text you back a link to it's coordinates on google maps. It works pretty well, it's light, and it doesn't use any data.

What I want, though, are additional features:
-The option to send SMS's to "ping" the phone at set intervals.
-The option for the remote phone to notify the owner that it is being pinged (instead of all the texting being invisible)
-Better integration with google maps or some other mapping program, with a history of locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones