Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times

Advertisements

so it seems, that for what I want (replication of my 7 home screens on my phone) I would need something called Airdroid, and not only install it, but for that specific need, the page on Google Play for that app says that I need root access
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 PM

this is the email I sent them just now:

Quote:
Hi, I'm seriously considering using AirDroid to replicate my 7 home screens on my Samsung Reverb to my newer Samsung Reverb (I expect to receive the new one Monday)..

Instead of me redoing 80+ widgets and folder widgets, can AirDroid help with replication of all that jazz,so I can avoid a tedious manual process? (I don't expect it to copy sound settings, etc. That's just expecting too much I imagine; but can you share some great AirDroid advice to help me achieve my main goal of widget setup? -meaning I want the new phone to look exactly like the one I'm using now. it's from the same maker (Samsung) and the same model too. should I use NFC? Bluetooth? sorry I'm just learning- I've never touched a smartphone prior to July 2012!)

considering my main goal, which one of the 3 AirDroid actions listed is the best action for me?
"*Realtime Android screen (experimental feature, root permission required) View your Android's screen, take a screenshot, or even record a screencast.

*Multiple virtual desktops AirDroid is designed for multitasking. Move apps between desktops to better organize your work.

*More features Device photo match for most devices, various widgets (calendar, weather, url transfer, clipboard, etc.), frequent contacts..."

I hope they respond. I just downloaded the app a few minutes ago. Thank goodness it's free.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
people watch movies on their phone? Why?

20yrsinBranson
4.65" 720p display.

Why not? I can see not watching one on some 10-year-old BlackBerry screen. That would be pretty pointless.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Because it's 4.65 inches. You say that like it's a good thing. lol

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM

749 posts, read 838,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some people tinker.
Some people do not have adequate credit to buy a subsidized phone and have to pay full price to get the device.
Some people just do not want to be tied to a contract, should they not have good coverage, need to move, etc.

The cost of a phone is a small amount, compared to the projected expense of signing a two year contract for $2400 or more total.
Or.....some people want to retain their grandfathered unlimited data plan. The only way to currently do that is to NOT sign up for another 2yr contract when getting a new phone.

I routinely use 30gig of data monthly, and I'll be damned if I'm going to get shoved to a plan where it will cost $30 for a 2gig cap.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Not trying to be combative or anything but my question is: why are some people fine with buying a smartphone without a contract and, in the process, fine with paying nearly (or in some cases more than) $600 (I just don't get it. I'm asking not to be contentious but because I really don't understand their thinking. Are they experts at tinkering with the phone after purchase or something?? thanks
yeah, your missing math

Nothing is free. The $400 dollar difference is the value extracted from you when the carrier locks you in for a period of time. Some carriers offer enforce specific plan changes if you want to lock in (i.e. Verizon kills unlimited).

This is a $600-$800 device. that is the reality. Your paying the money either upfront or through the course of your contract.

You want to keep unlimited but Really want an iphone 5. It may make since for some heavy data users (cost with shared data versus unlimited).

I bought a unsub phone, but I bought it used (for the above). I too can't seem paying $600-800 for a new phone when the perfectly awesome Galaxy Nexus is available for $220 used.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
I only need a cell phone for road emergencies and travel. When traveling I would like to have mobile internet. So a smart phone seems like good choice for that IF I could get a true pay as you go option. But even the "pre-paid" or pay as you go options with the big 3 are loaded with limitations and rules and fees. You really can't do just talk for emergencies 12 months and mobile internet here and there when your traveling. Either verison or AjuT&T have connect and disconnect charges when you start a month or drop a month. And they are all by month not use what you use when you use. It drives me crazy.

I'm the kind of person for whom the idea of a contract, even if I was a regular user, is just.....awful. I don't like being tied down, roped in whatever. I don't like making decisions and then later wishing I was in a different deal.

So I would pay for a galaxy 2 if I could buy a true pay as you go. A small fee to have an account and number and so much for what you use, whatever month that happens to be (coverage of course also being an issue, I use in more rural areas).

Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
I don't know about you, but I love my Virgin Mobile HTC EVO V (EVO 3D), which is pre-paid. I bought the phone used for $230 with a car charger, case, and about five screen protectors, but Virgin Mobile was recently selling the phone for $149 NEW. It's awesome...very fast, smooth graphics, sensitive GPS, glasses-free 3D photo and video capability (some think it's a gimmick, but I think it's amazing), and you can transfer files wirelessly with an FTP server app (I'm sure there's also HTTP, etc.). I also can set it up in the car with a (cheap) Bluetooth OBD-II adapter to display instantaneous fuel efficiency, acceleration, and other gauges, and play it through my car stereo (and does it have excellent bassy audio!) with a (cheap) cassette adapter, although that appears to be wrecked after two days' use and I am considering getting an FM modulator.

The cost of my plan is $35 / month + sales tax, which includes 300 voice minutes and unlimited texting and 3G/4G data (a limit kicks in after 2.5 GB). However, it uses Sprint's towers, the coverage of which is subpar, and 4G has not arrived yet in Duluth. In many places Facebook, for some reason, takes forever to load, and often I can't stream audio. However, sometimes I can (it's interesting seeing where you can and where you can't, driving around town). I'm sure these problems would be somewhat mitigated in a larger city.

Still, I think it's one of the best values in smartphones today, especially with the $150 offer. Sure a lot better than paying $100+ / month for a freaking iPhone 5 used mostly for texting and voice calls by somebody trying to look cool stunting Apple products.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 PM

I love virgin because of signal strength. I'm all about signal strength; and the monthly bill is just fantastic

Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Cell phones have for my demographic largely displaced cars as the most outwardly visible conspicuous consumption item. When I had car payments, they were right around $600 a month, and that was with 1/3 down.

To play devil's advocate: Roughly every 6-12 months there's a new phone out that's better enough than the one I have that I'd like to have it. At that point, I can sell my old phone for roughly $300 (maybe $200 at the lowest), and get the hot new phone, enjoy the new features, and show off what it can do. Considering I'm already spending $100 a month on the cell phone bill, another $300 every 6-12 months isn't that much more. Although the new Galaxy S3 is quite nice, I'm fine with my Galaxy Nexus.
600 a month with 1/3rd down;what were you driving? With good credit you can get a car loan now for 0% interst to 0.9% interest. I suspect it more what people can get that makes them pay ft eh phne or theyare just I am not being bound and want to pay more for that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones