U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM

494 posts, read 1,645,565 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of upgrading my iPhone 4S to the Galaxy Note 2. I still have 1 year left on my contract and was wondering what my options are. If I cancel my contract and pay the termination fee, then sell my iPhone 4S on the open market how will the new owner register it with Verizon, is it a simple job of just re-activating it with Verizon on a new contract? Are contract-terminated phones somehow blocked by Verizon for resale?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM

3,562 posts, read 6,422,416 times
You can't just pay a termination fee to end your current contract and keep service active and then buy a new phone under contract. Doesn't work that way.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,798,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I am thinking of upgrading my iPhone 4S to the Galaxy Note 2. I still have 1 year left on my contract and was wondering what my options are. If I cancel my contract and pay the termination fee, then sell my iPhone 4S on the open market how will the new owner register it with Verizon, is it a simple job of just re-activating it with Verizon on a new contract? Are contract-terminated phones somehow blocked by Verizon for resale?
If you're also changing carriers, this is just fine. Port your number to the new carrier to terminate your contract. The phone is clear for the next owner when the final balance is paid.

If you plan to stay with Verizon, dontaskwhy is likely correct. It's sure to get more complicated. Call Verizon and see what your options are.

The Note 2 is on the big 4 and USCellular, so if you know another service in your area works equally well for you, I'd just port out to that carrier for simplicity's sake.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM

11,981 posts, read 14,113,083 times
Actually I would think you could do that. If you pay to terminate your contract you should be able to get a new device on a new contract.
Interesting question. Let us know when you find out.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM

3,562 posts, read 6,422,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Actually I would think you could do that. If you pay to terminate your contract you should be able to get a new device on a new contract.
Interesting question.
Not been able to do that since I was a cell phone CS rep from 2001-2007. Not likely to change either with any cell phone company. The only way to break the contract is to leave the carrier by choice or mandated by the carrier.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 3,822,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
You could just buy the galaxy note 2, and then sell your Iphone 4s. Stay on verizon. I did this with my thunderbolt (sold it on ebay, bought a used galaxy nexus, still under verizon).

If you have a year left, its not going to make a lot of sense to pay the ETF and another 200 for a new contract with AT&T or sprint to get the phone.

Buy Galaxy Note 2 - 600-700
replace Iphone 4s on your account w/verizon - Free
Sell your verizon iphone 4s - get 450-400
complete your contract with verizon, and stay longer. . .

Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,798,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Buy Galaxy Note 2 - 600-700
replace Iphone 4s on your account w/verizon - Free
Sell your verizon iphone 4s - get 450-400
complete your contract with verizon, and stay longer. . .
You could do that. If you prefer Verizon and want to stay with them, that's definitely your easiest option. If a carrier change is inconsequential, then just do the math (ETF+new contract Note 2 vs. Note 2 @ full price) to see what makes the most sense.

(Personally, I prefer Verizon's data service, so I plan to stay with them.)

Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM

494 posts, read 1,645,565 times
I am eligible for early upgrade in mid July which is 6 months away so I may just wait it out and go for the Galaxy Note 3 which is releasing in Feb-Mar timeframe. Thanks for all the replies. I am not sure I can get $450 for the 4S, more like $300 on the used market I think...at least that i what I found when I researched prices online. Mine is the 16GB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones