Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,922,087 times

Advertisements

The analysts are quite confident? I learned long ago that tech analysts are usually wrong, no matter what the tech subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,706,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The analysts are quite confident? I learned long ago that tech analysts are usually wrong, no matter what the tech subject.
That's why they're called ANALysts.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 AM

122 posts, read 171,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's why they're called ANALysts.
But they got one thing right: iPhone 5 is not as popular as iPhone 4/4S, cook really needs to convince us in iPhone 6.

I hope they will lead the Smartphone industry in the future too.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM

961 posts, read 2,021,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

In essence, the iPhone is the only Apple product that I can think of at the moment that is not innovative, never has been innovative after five revisions, and never will be innovative.
Apple works on two premises.

1. The "it just works" thing. An easy user experience, that is simple and intuitive. More power to them, and there's probably a lot to that, for people that don't mind the corresponding limitations or who are already all in with other apple products.

2. It's cool and super-hip. Apple is not only a tech brand, it's also bordering a fashion brand. Check out the rumored iWatch (I made a post about it on the computer forum).

Apple rarely creates revolutionary products. What they do is take existing products and simplify the user experience and also package it as an attractive, hip, fashion statement.

I don't use Apple products other than iTunes and iPods, but people who criticize apple based on hardware specs are missing the point.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times
The "it just works" thing is pure and utter crap. Android phones "just work" too. In fact I would say they "just work" better. Windows phones, also. They "just work" too. This idea that any phone that isn't an iPhone doesn't "just work" is ludicrous. In fact, prior to ios5, I would say other phones "just worked" better.

Yay, you got your new iPhone from the VZW store. OK, now take it home and plug it in to your PC and download iTunes and activate it with Apple. Now it just works.
Compared to any other phone on the market. Buy phone from VZW. Dial *228. THAT'S "just working".

Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The "it just works" thing is pure and utter crap. Android phones "just work" too. In fact I would say they "just work" better. Windows phones, also. They "just work" too. This idea that any phone that isn't an iPhone doesn't "just work" is ludicrous. In fact, prior to ios5, I would say other phones "just worked" better.

Yay, you got your new iPhone from the VZW store. OK, now take it home and plug it in to your PC and download iTunes and activate it with Apple. Now it just works.
Compared to any other phone on the market. Buy phone from VZW. Dial *228. THAT'S "just working".
when I got mine from VZW, it worked right there in the store. I could have used it without ever connecting it to iTunes if I wanted to. I do agree that the " it just works" line is ridiculous though.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM

1,387 posts, read 988,293 times
Quote:

Where have you been? You haven't had to do this since iOs 4.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Where have you been? You haven't had to do this since iOs 4.
I've been right here in the thick of technology, my friend.

Did you read my entire post, or just skim it?
Quote:
In fact, prior to ios5,...
which means iOS4 and earlier. With me now?

dkf747: Prior to iOS5 you couldn't just activate it in the store... you HAD to connect to iTunes for activation.
Maybe I shouldn't have put that extra space there but my second paragraph was referencing the first: pre-iOS5 days.

This "just works" garbage wasn't started when iOS5 was released. Fanbois have always said that.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

201 posts, read 235,596 times
iPhone has a humongous customer base at this point. It will take a monumental catastrophe for it to end up like Blackberry. Apple has far too many great minds working for it to become irrelevant. Jobs' protege is at the helm and, while he's not Jobs, he ain't no slouch.

I think the biggest issue with iPhone development at this point is that it's having to share attention with Apple's growing list of other products. Maybe Apple has simply become too big.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

dkf747: Prior to iOS5 you couldn't just activate it in the store... you HAD to connect to iTunes for activation.
Maybe I shouldn't have put that extra space there but my second paragraph was referencing the first: pre-iOS5 days.

This "just works" garbage wasn't started when iOS5 was released. Fanbois have always said that.
I'm not 100% sure, but my iPhone 4 (the one I have) came with iOS 4.x. I did the iOS 5 upgrade myself later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones