Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Proud View Post
I don't get why people knock plastic cases on samsung product. Iphone users buy plastic cases to protect their phone. Sure iphone is heavier. Remember before iphone all phone was plastic. Flip phones was very small and light and had a plastic shell. To say a case make a phone better is silly. Who intends on dropping their phone anyway. A phone should be judge on capabilities not the shell.
I don't buy it, I prefer metal it just feels better in the hand. Plastic is cheap and tends to break over time, though it's less prone to scratches. I own an htc and love the aluminium unibody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
The Samsung S3 has a larger screen and better ways to custom it. But it is quite ugly and cheap looking.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I am an Apple fan and have stayed with the iphone for years. For me I like the connectivity with my mac, iPad and so forth. I work from home and don't use much or any of my data plans so having the fastest phone is not important to me. My husband on the other hand uses his smartphone a lot surfing and so forth, so a faster connection is a major want for him.

He goes back and forth between the iPhone and Droids. He likes that the Droids are faster but he isnt very tech savvy and usually ends up feeling frustrated with the Droids because the iphone's simpler interface appeals to him. His last upgrade was a couple of months ago, he wanted to go with an Iphone again but we couldnt find any iPhone 5s in stock. He decided to go with the Galaxy. He really likes how fast it is but gets frustrated at times trying to find certain things on the phone. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes with an iphone again next time around lol

Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
The S3 is a much nicer phone than the S2 I currently own. But I do prefer HTC or Apple build quality though.

I'm glad my contract isn't up until October, because I feel like we're in cell phone limbo right now waiting for a "5s" or Galaxy S4.

Personally I use Google's apps more. And like Google Now, and just like Android more in general. I have the "Jelly Bean" rom and it's almost perfect IMO.

I think that iOS is stale and needs an update visually. However I do like Apple's hardware design, accessories and app selection better.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
However I do like Apple's hardware design, accessories and app selection better.
This is a big factor for me. Well, not so much selection, as quality. Both platforms have pretty much every app one would expect. However, the Android versions often seem like buggy, ugly crap that was thrown together as an afterthought. Sometimes they're missing functionality compared to their iOS counterparts. Sometimes they just crash more often. Sometimes they work fine but are hideous.

I generally like Android for the customizability, but the poor app quality and occasional delays and lags in the device annoy me (e.g. even on current flagship phones running 4.1, playing back mp3s with the EQ on will result in skipping, especially if something is happening in the background - a problem that was around in the 2.x days and still exists today).

Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This is a big factor for me. Well, not so much selection, as quality. Both platforms have pretty much every app one would expect. However, the Android versions often seem like buggy, ugly crap that was thrown together as an afterthought. Sometimes they're missing functionality compared to their iOS counterparts. Sometimes they just crash more often. Sometimes they work fine but are hideous.

I generally like Android for the customizability, but the poor app quality and occasional delays and lags in the device annoy me (e.g. even on current flagship phones running 4.1, playing back mp3s with the EQ on will result in skipping, especially if something is happening in the background - a problem that was around in the 2.x days and still exists today).
Yeah maybe selection in terms of "iphone exclusive." There are a few quality apps and games that are currently only on iphone. Not to mention car stereo and car compatibility seems to cater to the iphone as well.

Android has caught up for the most part, and do have a majority of the iphone apps, it just when a new cool app comes out, it's going to be for the iphone.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
I was in the same position as the OP as I'm also looking to upgrade my phone in the near future (currently using a jailbroken iPhone 3gs on T-Mobile and have grown tired of it). Both phones are very good and the Android platform is excellent and in some ways better than iOS (mainly due to customization ability). For me personally, I plan on going with the iPhone 5 or 4s for a couple of reasons:

-The S3, and indeed many Android phones, is simply too big for me. The screen is sweet, but the overall size of the phone just doesn't fit my needs. I would likely never spend a lot of time looking at my phone screen unless I'm using an app, would likely never stream videos/movies/TV shows on the phones outside of some short Youtube clips. chances are, I would just put on a playlist or podcast, stick the phone in a pocket, and ignore it unless I'm playing a game or using certain apps. For that reason, screen size is a moot point for me. If you want to be able to enjoy watching videos on your phone, then obviously screen size-and network capabilities- will play role.

-As a Macbook user who already has an iPhone and uses an iMac at times, it's just easier for me to go with the iPhone. Apple products sync up beautifully with each other and it's easy to transfer items between products. I've already optimized my iTunes library to make syncing with my 3gs easy (the fact that the iPhone doesn't haven't an SD slot doesn't bother me since I could never sync my entire library of music anyways so rely on playlists). Obviously, if you're a Windows user, the choice is tougher. It would come down to which OS you prefer. I personally don't mind iTunes, but some people hate it. You're gonna have to play around with both phones and decide which OS you like better.

-For better or worse, the app store for the iOS is massive. Sure a lot of he apps are worse than useless, but it's hard not to find what you're looking for in the App Store. A bonus is that, as mentioned above, some apps for the iPhone can work with an iPad, Macbook, or iMac, so it just has a nice flow that makes it more productive. Apps for Android phones are increasing and most major apps work just as well on the Android as on the iPhone, so it's not really an issue.

It's very subjective and it's hard to objectively say that one phone is better than the other. not sure why Sprint is pushing the Galaxy, but with salespeople, it may not be because one is much better than the other but more because certain quotas must be met.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
Some background on my post: I own a Galaxy Note 2, have owned a total of three Android devices (and have played around with several others owned by friends), have used a few iPhones but have never owned one (and thus never had to live with one day-to-day).

The biggest difference between the two is going to be the operating system. IOS (iPhone) is fluid, very intuitive, and simply works very well. It's easy to get the hang of, isn't buggy, and has a great selection of apps to run. Android, on the other hand, is much more complicated, and because it's much more open to customization, has more bugs. IOS is a much more controlled experience. It has often been called a 'walled garden', and rightfully so. Android, on the other hand, is akin to the Wild West. It has tremendous potential in the hands of the educated user, but you need to know what you're doing and what hazards to watch out for. If there is a feature you want on your phone, chances are you can get it with Android, but you're going to have to know/learn how to install it, and take the chance that you won't get viruses or bugs along the way. At it's absolute upper limit, a knowledgeable user can get more out of an Android phone than they can an Apple phone. IOS is a smartphone operating system with the training wheels still attached. Please take note, I don't mean that to degrade Apple's operating system, there is absolutely something to be said for something that works well and fluidly in the hands of inexperienced smartphone users. Apple made a revolutionary smartphone in 2007 with the first iPhone, and have since followed an evolutionary path incorporating small changes with each new iteration of the product. Android started much more recently, and at first basically copied much of what Apple was doing, but the makers of Android smart phones have taken chances and have now created a product that is entirely unique. My biggest recommendations are to try each phone extensively before you buy, and, to ask your friends why they like or don't like their phones to get an idea of what you are getting into.

In terms of hardware, the latest Android phones are superior to the latest iPhones. The iPhone has premium build quality, but it's technical specs are pretty tame compared to what the Android phones are packing, and Apple has been behind the curve for a while in this respect. With smart phones though, hardware is always secondary to software, so somebody invested in the Apple culture may well do right by themselves buying an iPhone (that is, they will get more benefit from the iPhone because of their familiarity with it and its inter-connectivity with other Apple devices).

Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Can someone tell me how much i can expec to pay to buy an S3. I have a droid x and its old as heck and pretty much dead in the water. I want to get S3 but some people told me 250 dollars, some told me 150, one guy said 50 dollars with the upgrade. Where is the best place to go? Verizon or bestbuy? I want to get the best deal

Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
I wouldn't buy any smartphone until we see what's announced at the Mobile World Congress February 25th - 28th. There will definitely be some very advanced and eye catching Android smartphones announced there that you might a little longer for.

Once the Galaxy S4 is released, no one is gonna give the S3 any love. The S4 is rumored to have some pretty awesome specs and I'm looking forward to it.

The iPhone is rumored to be updated sometime in the summer/fall but you can't go wrong with the iPhone 5 either. It's a solid piece of hardware with a huge app library. Generally, developers release their apps on iOS first, then Android. That could change in the next few years possibly.

I don't get people who seem to identify with their phones--and root for their OS platform like its some kinda sports team or nationality. There are people who seem to irrationally hate Apple or Google and its just strange to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones