Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,154,269 times

Advertisements

Here is what I'd like to do. I'd like to get a phablet or large cell phone like the Note and really just use it sporadically as mobile internet.
Sprint has no contract monthly tablet plans that might allow me to say, sign up for the cheapest month to month and then if I was going to use it more one month while traveling bump up my useage
But they won't do it with a smart phone. Why? They keep babbling about activation and you have to have a contract with activation. Is there no way to just use the phone as essentially a tablet? I have a cheap pay as you go phone for emergencies and that's all I need for a cellphone.

(and no I don't want a 7 in tablet)

Guess I should have googled first (no way to delete?)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...a-only-device/

Anyway, I think providers are still too inflexible for some of us

Last edited by Giesela; 01-10-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,803,830 times
verizon has no contracts for smart phones and tablets

Old 09-26-2013, 08:43 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,340,229 times
The tablet SIM idea doesn't work for Sprint because Sprint doesn't use SIM cards. It should work for T-Mobile or AT&T assuming that you get an unlocked device and that device is compatible with the frequencies the company uses for high speed data. All of T-Mobiles plans are no-contract; not sure about AT&T's tablet plans.

Still, the T-Mo and AT&T plans may be more than you're willing to pay. The large providers don't chase low-usage customers because there's no profit in it for them. Your best deal is going with a smaller company like Ting, which only charges you for the minutes, texts, and megabytes you use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones