Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM

62 posts, read 109,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
And they are plenty powerful. I mean I can't think of a single app that will run better on the upcoming Galaxy or Iphone. Nothing. No app. Unless phone makers are going to try and make phones replace handheld gaming devices like the Vita and the 3DS, but those kinds of games, very graphic intensive, aren't the ones that sell in huge numbers, so I don't think that's the case.
Are you kidding? Apps are getting more and more sophisticated. Heck, there are high end flight simulators for phones. You can get a direct port of a very realistic PC flight sim called Aerofly FS on the iPhone. And it's darn sure going to run better on newer, faster hardware.

Some of this stuff goes way past the Vita and 3DS, and the devices themselves are much higher resolution, with some of the new phones being 1080p.

Phones will never be "good enough" for a power user, because apps are constantly getting larger and more demanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Like I said in my first post, games are the only exception, but how many downloads is a very realistic flight is that going to get compared to say, Temple Run? A tiny fraction of them. No one is thinking oh man, if only my phone was more powerful so I could run Aerofly.

Better battery life is the one thing that needs to improve. I'd take a slightly thicker phone if it meant the battery was better. I hate the idea that you should have to dumb down your smart phone to make it last a day. It's one thing if you work a job that has it on a charger, but if you're out and about, what are you gonna do, be tethered to a charger all day?

And again, as I said, phones can, and yes, should get better, but this whole, yearly thing? I don't get it.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Although TODAY I might agree with you.
Think of this: 15 years ago we thought "4, megabytes of RAM? I why we would need THAT much?"
15 years ago: "I have a 14.4 baud modem! I don't need a 56k!"

As the hardware improves, and the software will follow. I doubt Angry Birds is going to be hot when the Galaxy S9 arrives. We will be playing Battlefield 6 on our phones by then. Or wearing sunglasses that are computers.
Hell my phone is on Gingerbread. I can run most, but not all, apps.
Your years are off but your point is reality. There will always be something to drive better hardware and software.

Btw, 15 years ago, I had a cable modem. I doubt you had a 14.4 baud modem.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM

In the same way video game developers are trying to get people to buy new games instead of used by blocking off features, or requiring the game be registered, so too is the "smart phone industry" trying to get people to keep buying phones, by withholding OS updates that the phone can absolutely run, and making repairs all but impossible. Unless you're willing to Root/Jailbreak your phone, or have the skill to dissect your phone, they've got you both with the software and the hardware.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:46 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Like I said in my first post, games are the only exception, but how many downloads is a very realistic flight is that going to get compared to say, Temple Run? A tiny fraction of them. No one is thinking oh man, if only my phone was more powerful so I could run Aerofly.

Better battery life is the one thing that needs to improve. I'd take a slightly thicker phone if it meant the battery was better. I hate the idea that you should have to dumb down your smart phone to make it last a day. It's one thing if you work a job that has it on a charger, but if you're out and about, what are you gonna do, be tethered to a charger all day?

And again, as I said, phones can, and yes, should get better, but this whole, yearly thing? I don't get it.
Not really. My phone gets pretty unresponsive when I'm running Navi + business mileage tracker + playing music/podcasts. If I want to check a text or email at a red light, it's kind of infuriatingly slow as I've only got a small window of time to do it in and the phone taking several seconds to respond is annoying. I'm using a Galaxy Nexus, so something that's a year newer with significantly more processing power like an S3 would be nice. Regardless, it's a quantum leap over my Droid OG which was a miserably under-powered phone.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 AM

If there is one thing Android could learn from iOS, it's to stop adding, and start optimizing. Clearly, just looking at custom ROMs, Android could be more efficient with power and battery usage.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Radio is something that's going to be improving over the next several years. My guess is that it will be the next driver for upgrades (if it isn't already).

Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM

I think the next driver for upgrades will still be hardware. It's so much easier to just toss in more cores, more megapixels (ugh, it's cameras all over again), and more and more pixels.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
The technology will continue to advance. While smartphones may be good enough now, they can always be improved. One such improvement that needs to be made is in the battery department. We can continue developing more powerful processors, higher resolution screens, etc., but without a strong battery to accompany the technology improvement, the smartphone would be difficult to use effectively. If we could invent a battery that lasts one week without charging, today's technology would be nearly perfect for our current needs.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I personally think that there will be a day when phones will be capable of containing a full desktop OS that can be docked to a desktop or laptop KVM setup so that you can carry a full powered PC in your pocket, and convert it between desktop / laptop mode, and phone mode.
great prediction ; hope it comes true.

op: i spoke with a research team hired by samsung. it's the nature of the beast, one told me, to always get better. personally i have a GN2 and would like if it converted .png files to .jpg files with the sound of my voice. i want to say "convert this to a jay peg" and it does it. right now it does not do that. i happen to be into voice commands so i would want the smartphones of tomorrow to tickle me pink in that regard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones