Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,939,093 times

Advertisements

I still like it. Before I had a smartphone I felt like I had too many different devices to charge. Phone, MP3 player, palm pilot, portable satelite radio, etc etc. It sure is nice to have one device to charge and carry that does everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,257,467 times
I still enjoy using it, but the UI on the iPhone is getting a little stale and I hope (and have heard) that iOS7 is getting a significant overhaul. It's nice to be connected to people when you want to be--but I must admit that it can also be tiring when everyone wants you to respond immediately to everything.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,106,058 times
I wanna say yes because people now look at it as a necessity. I believe someone else mentioned this as well. I work in IT and assist people all day long with phones and other stuff. Im on a vacation right now just because I needed to get away from it all. The general public exhausts me. Anyway....People lose their freaking minds when their phones stop working. The way they act its like they just lost water or electricity. I pretty much feel like a shrink/IT person. First you have to settle the person down before getting to the issue. This can take awhile. They tell you about their divorce, how bratty their kids are acting and so on... Its mentally draining at times. I've had people sob, scream, swear....basically completely lose it on me. The biggest problem I feel is that technology is more advanced than the general user. People really dont know how to use the phones to the fullest extent and in that same token dont fully understand how to properly maintain the phone. There is a social pressure to buy this stuff even if you dont need it or use it. I actually had a woman call me a few weeks ago screaming at me that the company that made her phone, put a password on it so she couldnt use it. She screamed at me through sobs how she wont be able to call anyone, no one at all!!!! What is she going to do? Why would the company do this to her!!! The passcode on her damn phone is something the user has to set up. She did this somehow but doesnt remember which is odd considering its a few step process. The only way to get around this issue is restoring the phone which wipes it out. Not a big deal if you do back ups occasionally or use a virtual storage system. Of course people dont do this. So then its screams of agony that they have pictures of their dog, cat, kid that will be lost, its all my fault. I actually had one guy tell me it was the equivalent of cutting off his limbs. ya okay.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 AM

348 posts, read 336,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Anyone else not too excited over the benefits of smartphone anymore? A couple of years ago having internet access anywhere was something I dreamed about but on a smart phone (and I have the large Samsung Galaxy Note) it just isn't as comfortable as a computer.

No regrets because it seems the price for 4G has come down in the past couple years. But most apps are toy apps (I don't "do" facebook), not a lot of really useful apps other than traffic and email and calendar. Sure, Google Sky is cool but it really is just a fun app.
Smartphones are not competing with Desktops so the question is...I dunno...'moot'?

Desktop PC for home and work, smartphone for travel and quick wikipedia / news /weather / emergency /social media access.
If anything the smartphone will be consumed by the mini-tablet, and cellphones in general left in the dust of free internet phone calls (i.e. Skype)

Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 AM

686 posts, read 1,763,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"They" did.
And, people found a way to drain that battery too.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM

583 posts, read 1,322,030 times
I don't find the need for a smart phone, I have a phone I bought at Target seven years ago for 35.- Sure it would come in handy travelling, but it's not like you can't do without it at all. True, I don't have a big social life or a job that might require it, and would probably feel the peer pressure to get one then, which isn't a good reason.

It's hard enough stopping online habits like going to this site, on my desktop. The internet is such a time killer, but the funny thing is I am into web development and asking a question about designing for mobile is what sucked me into posting here. Paid for content is expected to become much more the norm, due to mobile technology; it will be interesting to see. Designing pages strictly for mobile seems like it will be more boring than a rich and dynamic site could be. In a way though, mobile sites are smaller and simpler, so the exploitation of users might be easier.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,615,087 times
Smartphones are taking over for desktops in a lot of areas, including web browsing, communications (email, IM, etc), social networking, and light gaming. Desktops and laptops are still needed for heavy use situations and content creation, but fewer and fewer people need a desktop OS. I tend to use mine for quite a bit, and I actually AM a power user.

Designing mobile sites presents unique challenges, different platforms, different web browsers, different screen sizes. That's probably why many content providers are building fat clients rather than web UIs.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,056,071 times
Similar to how the thrill of electricity is over. It's just something we use in our daily lives. Nothing special.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,659,793 times
I'd say its quickly along with other devices replacing the personal computer for many. Just looking at sales tells the story.20% drop in computer sales while smart phone sells are still high. Oh and I do not have a smart phone because I don't have a sue for one personally. Wife loves hers.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM

16,502 posts, read 19,566,551 times
The thrill is not gone but I think the Hype over then next big phone is burning people out.
"Ohhh, I can wave my hand over it to wake it up?"
Really? :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones