Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times

Advertisements

I am so NOT tech savvy at all (so please don't laugh at my question ) but I wondered if I can record outside on my iPhone 4s? I don't need a video, just the sound, and would prefer to do it in such a way that it is not obvious as I have very noisy (drunk) neighbors and want to have some of what goes on for proof.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
I have an iPhone 4 and it has an pre-installed application, or one can be downloaded to the phone. Keep in mind that sound quality will be very poor due to the design of the microphone for outside noise. It is designed for close sound, typically for the phone user. You may be able to find and external microphone that connects to the phone on the internet. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have an iPhone 4 and it has an pre-installed application, or one can be downloaded to the phone. Keep in mind that sound quality will be very poor due to the design of the microphone for outside noise. It is designed for close sound, typically for the phone user. You may be able to find and external microphone that connects to the phone on the internet. I wish you the best of luck.
That's what I was afraid of . It might be easier to do it another way.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
That's what I was afraid of . It might be easier to do it another way.
Try plugging in your earbuds (if you have them); the mic just might pick up the sound successfully enough for your purposes. It 's worth a try before spending $$s to get another external mic.

I've seen my friend use his iPod this way to be able to record when one is giving a talk. And the app you'd use on your iPhone is the one for Voice Memos, I think.

I'm going to do a little experiment with my iPhone to see if this works....be back later!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
You would be surprised how well a "Voice Recorder app" will work on your phone. It will pick up everything.
Look for one in the app store.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You would be surprised how well a "Voice Recorder app" will work on your phone. It will pick up everything.
Thanks I will try that!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I got one, I was wondering if you know if it somehow bypasses the "noise cancelling" feature?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I font know if there is a way to do that. I think only a developed would know.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
OP what kind of audio quality are you looking for?

I am a recording musician and the iPhone/iPod Touch have some amazing Mics that plug in and have an app that comes with it.
Although I have not gone this route, I have seen the demos and they are VERY impressive.

Here are a few. I really dont know if the internal mic is going to adequately cover what it is that you need.

Macintosh How To - What’s the best external iPhone Microphone?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 PM

I just needed an example of the ruckus my neighbor across the street is making almost nightly (it's really indescribable). I needed it for proof so the audio doesn't have to be good quality but needs to pick up the noise outside.

She was warned last week and has piped down incredibly, so all may be ok now and I might not need it.. Somehow I didn't trust that she would stop partying wildly on Memorial Day weekend, so wanted to be prepared, but perhaps her buddies are out of town and all will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones