Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times

Advertisements

I'm about to buy my first smart phone. I've decided that it's going to be the iPhone 5.

To those who have one, what do you like/dislike about it? Any warnings or recommendations?

I considered waiting until this fall when the new iPhone will likely be out and the price on the 5 could drop, but...

Also, if the new iPhone has iOS 7, will iPhone 5 users get a free upgrade to it from iOS 6?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 04:45 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I'm about to buy my first smart phone. I've decided that it's going to be the iPhone 5.

To those who have one, what do you like/dislike about it? Any warnings or recommendations?

I considered waiting until this fall when the new iPhone will likely be out and the price on the 5 could drop, but...

Also, if the new iPhone has iOS 7, will iPhone 5 users get a free upgrade to it from iOS 6?
Since I can still run iOS 6.x on my old iPhone 4, the answer to your las question is probably a yes.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Certainly a YES. That's one thing you can count on from Apple. The previous generation always gets the new OS.

I don't have one but my wife does and I am very familiar with it.

The "little touches". When you delete an email, the way the email gets "sucked" into the trash can. When you take a picture, the way the pic "swooshes away" into your phone. Can't really explain that well, but when you get it you will understand immediately.
Still a slightly better app store then Google. There are a handful of apps that are simply not on Android. 75% of apps that are on both platforms usually hit Apple first. (This would not be a real decision maker for me though).
The camera is really nice. In the top 3 of cell phone cameras. (HTC One, Nokia Lumia being the other 2).
Call quality of the phone is excellent.
It's very lightweight.
The new connector that can go into the phone in any direction.

Dislikes:
Zero customization options. You can't change anything except the wallpaper and what apps are in what folders. Every single app has to be on your desktop somewhere. Boring homescreen compared to... every other phone on the market.... even Blackberry. It's very stale and hasn't changed much since 2007.
I don't like how skinny it is (wide). As I said the weight is great but I think the dimensions just feel a bit off.
Apple's "walled garden" approach that does not let you easily change things like: which TXT msg app you want to use, using different browsers (you can use different browsers but they don't integrate well), different dialers etc etc...
The headphone jack... is on the bottom. I will never understand the logic behind that move. Yea, it's nice if you put it in your pocket head first, but for any other really world use, it really sucks.
No memory card slot. I must have a card slot on my phone.
Pricing. An extra $100 for another 16GB? That's just ripping people off. I can get a 32GB card for $20.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I bought an iPhone V for my daughter (13) who insisted she have one. I was angry but it was used to bribe her for something else. (Wasn't worth the fight.) Cost me $200 on an ATT upgrade.

Dislikes:
Small compared to my Samsung galaxy note
Sends a message that being trendy and cool and conforming is more important than sending a message that research was performed prior to buying the phone. I just get the impression people who by iphones are going with the flow and are victims of marketing and social conformity and are "worked" by their favorite celebreties.
Can't easily change out the battery like every other cell phone in the world (I have three spare batteries and wall charger for my samsung, costs $15 total, so easy to change out a battery at 4PM when I'm down to 20%)
Must use itunes and all the associated hassles unlike every other cell phone/mp3 player which moves files by drag and drop - simple, easy, intuitive, no syncing restrictions.
syncing hassles for media
can't play wma music
very breakable
have to use itunes store
limited to ios apps (when a lot more developers work android, more variety, lower costs, etc just like PC vs Mac)
must use proprietary hardware, cables, etc instead of simple, generic cheap USB

Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Thanks everyone. Very helpful stuff. The money I was expecting came in and I can buy the phone anytime now. But, I'm going to think on it for 48 hours and see how badly I really want/need it. (I find I save a lot of money that way!)

Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I've decided that it's going to be the iPhone 5.

What was the basis of your decision? How much research did you conduct? Why do you want an iPhone? What other phones did you consider?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Very helpful stuff. The money I was expecting came in and I can buy the phone anytime now. But, I'm going to think on it for 48 hours and see how badly I really want/need it. (I find I save a lot of money that way!)
Do yourself a favor. Don't buy an iPhone.

Also, one other thing I'll mention: An iPhone is probably a huge target for theft compared to other phones.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Dislikes:
Small compared to my Samsung galaxy note
Your phone is HUGE. And mine is not small. Yours is gigantic.
Dislike.

Quote:
Sends a message that being trendy and cool and conforming is more important than sending a message that research was performed prior to buying the phone. I just get the impression people who by iphones are going with the flow and are victims of marketing and social conformity and are "worked" by their favorite celebreties.
Don't agree with this at all. iPhone does NOT = trendy and cool.
The iPhone is a very capable phone. It is very simple to use. It is made so even the least tech savvy person in the world can figure it out. And it excels at that. As my buddy says "a simple phone for simple people". That's a bit harsh, but true in some cases. and smart on Apple's part.
It is not a status symbol. It may have been once. Maybe. In 2007. Maybe. But not today.
You daughter wanted one because: that is what her friends have. If her friends had the GS4, she would have asked for that.
That's the way a surprising amount of purchase are made today, from cars to computers to appliances: word of mouth.

Quote:
Can't easily change out the battery like every other cell phone in the world (I have three spare batteries and wall charger for my samsung, costs $15 total, so easy to change out a battery at 4PM when I'm down to 20%)
More and more companies are ditching the replaceable battery. See HTC, Motorola, and LG. Samsung is about the only one left that makes replaceable batteries. Replaceable batteries are getting scarce. And with a phone like the Droid RAZR MAXX, which will go two full days on a heavy charge... not a huge deal. And more phones will be doing that soon.

Quote:
Must use itunes and all the associated hassles unlike every other cell phone/mp3 player which moves files by drag and drop - simple, easy, intuitive, no syncing restrictions.
Also not true. My wife used iTunes once. She used it to switch from her iPhone 4 to her 5. It was a huge pain in the ass. But that was the last time she did anything in iTunes. *Note: She runs Slacker for music and doesn't have any of her own music on the phone or she would need iTunes.

Quote:
syncing hassles for media
iTunes works fine for synching. Well even. And there are ways around iTunes if you really don't want to use it.
Quote:
can't play wma music
So? WMA is not the be all end all.

Quote:
very breakable
As breakable as ANY other phone.

Quote:
have to use itunes store
You already said that. lol

Quote:
must use proprietary hardware, cables, etc instead of simple, generic cheap USB
This is totally true and Apple will bend you over for a new spare cable or car chargers or or or.... the adapter from the old to new is $30. Apple really commands premium dollars.

It's obvious you DETEST Apple. I don't LOVE them but I appreciate what they have done for the market. They made a decent product. and if it wasn't for Apple it would have been a few more years until we saw the rise of the Smartphone. I totally agree that Android > Apple in just about every way. But the OP didn't ask if what phone he should get.

Defending the iPhone leaves a bad taste in my mouth. hahahaha

Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I have had an iPhone 5 since December 2012 and its a joy to use. It's a very stable OS, has the very best app selection around *and* those apps tend to have better features then the ports on other platforms like Android.

The handset is a very high quality, reception is great, the browser is very quick and its a snap to get music and movies onto the device very quickly and cleanly. To date, Google has not provided an equivalent to iTunes to manage locally stored media and so you are often limited to drag and drop on other platforms (kinda 90's) or you can get clunky third party software like Doubletwist on Android that do an *ok* job. Even though the iPhone 5 came out in September of last year it *still* holds up well against the very latest flagship phones from other companies.

You will, without a doubt, get a free upgrade to iOS7 and most likely another free upgrade to iOS8 the following year. The last 3 iPhone models have each received two major software updates which come out about once per year.

That being said, at this point I'd be tempted to wait for the 5s -- but that's probably not gonna hit the market until late summer or early fall according to rumors so if you really want one now I think you'll be be happy.

The only other smartphone worth looking at in my opinion is the HTC One -- which is a premium Android smartphone.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I have had an iPhone 5 since December 2012 and its a joy to use. It's a very stable OS, has the very best app selection around *and* those apps tend to have better features then the ports on other platforms like Android.

The handset is a very high quality, reception is great, the browser is very quick and its a snap to get music and movies onto the device very quickly and cleanly. To date, Google has not provided an equivalent to iTunes to manage locally stored media and so you are often limited to drag and drop on other platforms (kinda 90's) or you can get clunky third party software like Doubletwist on Android that do an *ok* job. Even though the iPhone 5 came out in September of last year it *still* holds up well against the very latest flagship phones from other companies.

You will, without a doubt, get a free upgrade to iOS7 and most likely another free upgrade to iOS8 the following year. The last 3 iPhone models have each received two major software updates which come out about once per year.

That being said, at this point I'd be tempted to wait for the 5s -- but that's probably not gonna hit the market until late summer or early fall according to rumors so if you really want one now I think you'll be be happy.

The only other smartphone worth looking at in my opinion is the HTC One -- which is a premium Android smartphone.
Good post but it's obvious this person is heavily into iTunes. You wouldn't use DoubleTwist with an Adnroid phone unless you use iTunes. Doubletwist is specifically for using iTunes with Android.
To synch your own music with an Android you can use Windows Media Player, Media Monkey or others.

Agree that iPhone5 call quality is exceptional. Most new phones out today finally have really great call quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones