Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,088,752 times

Advertisements

I have had several different cell phone companies (Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint) and not one has more than one bar when I am at home. Right now I have AT&T (Straight Talk) with a ZTE smart phone. Is there anything I can do to get a better signal? I don't want to spend a fortune on buying a cell booster which I saw online for over $200.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 AM

6,410 posts, read 10,224,261 times
At&t does offer a home phone/cell phone hybrid system that might help. Check with their customer service or check it out at a retail store location. Hopefully it might work for you. I am afraid that I don't have any more details

Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM

16,483 posts, read 19,524,318 times
I'm in the same boat. I get ONE bar of 4G. One. I live in CLEVELAND, Ohio. The 8th market to get Verizon 4G. I don't live in a suburb. I live IN the city... and get one bar. So annoying. Called VZW "Oh you can buy an extender for $250...."
Really? That's your answer?

Makes me ill when I see the commercials that "We have the largest 4G network"... yea and in one of the largest cities in the US (top 30) I get A bar? Ridiculous.

So I just use WiFi at home.
Of course in the suburbs and even out in Amish Country I get 4-5 bars....

Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM

37,284 posts, read 61,045,095 times
Search online, find the nearest repeater tower to your home. Find what company owns that tower.

When I moved to this location, that is what I did. I found the nearest tower. I found who owned it. I got service from them.

All TV ads are marketing. They are fantasy. Their claims are useless.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM

242 posts, read 349,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm in the same boat. I get ONE bar of 4G. One. I live in CLEVELAND, Ohio. The 8th market to get Verizon 4G. I don't live in a suburb. I live IN the city... and get one bar. So annoying. Called VZW "Oh you can buy an extender for $250...."
Really? That's your answer?

Makes me ill when I see the commercials that "We have the largest 4G network"... yea and in one of the largest cities in the US (top 30) I get A bar? Ridiculous.

So I just use WiFi at home.
Of course in the suburbs and even out in Amish Country I get 4-5 bars....
I have a similar experience. I live outside Hartford, CT where Verizon is typically great, but our house is in a little valley and I may get 1 bar inside the house if I'm lucky. I ALWAYS use wifi when I'm at home and it makes the phone usable where otherwise it wouldn't be.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,245,497 times
Keeper,

You wont be able to use an AT&T microcell unfortunately as you are on Straight Talk. The microcell requires signing up for via AT&T, but only if you have AT&T.

What kind of 'booster' did you see online?

I am afraid I dont have any good suggestions for you based on the pay as you go service you have now.

T-Mobile, does in fact have some devices that have WIFI calling apps that come with the phone. IN short, it connects with your WIFI network and creates a bridge of sorts, between your cellular coverage and WIFI signal. All calls are still part of your minutes etc.

A more progressive alternative would be to just get a whole new number completely through Google Voice or Skype and use it as VoIP. There was another thread about someone looking to do this as well a couple of months ago if I recall.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.gvoip&hl=en

Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,266,013 times
Do you have WiFi at home? If so you could use a service provider, like T-Mobile, with WiFi calling. It'll save on your minutes used and have a more reliable signal.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM

37,284 posts, read 61,045,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Do you have WiFi at home? If so you could use a service provider, like T-Mobile, with WiFi calling. It'll save on your minutes used and have a more reliable signal.
WiFi from DSL or dial-up? Does not get you a phone call.

If they have T-mobile then they would already have cellphone signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones