Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times

Advertisements

When it comes to mobile carriers, consumers may have four major choices (for now), but they're all starting to look the same — and that isn't a good thing. But a new provider, Republic Wireless, headquartered in North Carolina, is shaking things up with a rather unbelievable $19 a month no-contract plan. That's $19 not just for unlimited calling and texting, but mobile data too.

New wifi-minded carrier offers unbelievable $19 unlimited phone plan | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,638 times
While interesting, WiFi doesn't have the coverage or predictability to be reliable for mobile usage, so you're going to be falling back to 3G a LOT. I also don't use my mobile apps over public WiFi. It's hard to argue with the price, though. It looks like they've basically integrated a Google Voice equivalent in the OS, then tweaked the phone to prefer WiFi over cellular.

Looks like they're using the Sprint network for 3G. So it's basically Virgin Mobile's $35 plan with unlimited minutes.

Interesting.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
I'm wondering how the service will be. It doesn't tell much about it and I'd definitely like to know more. Apparently, they are running a $99 special for the phone for a couple weeks. So, if the WIFI isn't reliable and you have to rely on 3G, will there be more charges?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:45 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,672,838 times
They say there will be no extra charges, but if you're consistently high on CELLULAR usage, they'll eventually give you the boot. Wi-Fi minute usage, they apparently don't care about one bit.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,638 times
I would expect the TOS to lay this out, but booting for high cellular usage sounds like a reasonable expectation.

I don't mind tunneling VOIP over public WiFi, but I refuse to use apps as such. SSL or no, absent a controlled environment the risk is just too great.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
FWIW, they are now sold out of the phones at this point. They are in the BETA stages and only offered a certain amount for now. I wonder if this will just be a promotional rate or it will still be the same. I was skeptical about purchasing one at this point b/c I'm still not sure how the connection will be. I'd like to hear some reviews first.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,467 times
Are these guys still in business? It appears so... republic wireless - The Mobile Network that Runs on Freedom

Anyone use them? Results?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
I'd probably just go with t-mobiles unlimited plan for $30 a month. The only thing that's not unlimited is the calls, but you can use Google Voice and Sipdroid to make calls over 4G without using your minutes. Just depends where you live and what you want, I suppose. The T-Mobile, you'd be limited to 100 minutes when not in 3G and preferably 4G coverage area. With Republic you get voice only that tries to off-load to WiFi as much as possible for $10 less. I don't use that many minutes and do use quite a bit of mobile data.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 AM

5,132 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Has anyone else had personal experience with this carrier? Reviews online appear to be 50/50. My contract expires in a few days and looking to switch to a smart phone.....not your typical cell phone user...my needs are simple although everyone now is texting and my current plan does not allow texting....20 cents a text for me currently. Thanks.....

Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Has anyone else had personal experience with this carrier? Reviews online appear to be 50/50. My contract expires in a few days and looking to switch to a smart phone.....not your typical cell phone user...my needs are simple although everyone now is texting and my current plan does not allow texting....20 cents a text for me currently. Thanks.....

I am currently using Republic Wireless. So far, it is working fine.

The phone is an older model that does not have all the bells and whistles but is pretty comparable to my 2 year old Blackberry Torch.

The phone service has been pretty good even over WiFi.

I would suggest that you read Mossman's review of the phone in the Wall Street Journal and the review by Clark Howard.

It sure beats paying $50+ for a similar service with a contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones