Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times

Advertisements

I am on call overnight for my job once a week. If I'm needed they call my cell phone. I generally sleep but occasionally I'll sleep through someone calling me, which leads to them calling me back again in half an hour when I haven't returned a call and me looking unprofessional.

I've tried different ring tones and obviously I have the volume on my phone turned all the way up. Any suggestions? The ability to have my phone alarm continually go off after I miss a call would be perfect. Other creative ideas would be great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,948 times
If I have to be awake earlier than normal or at a weird time (early flight or something) I just put my phone in one of those runner arm strap things and set my alarm to vibrate and audibly alarm. You can't really plug it in to charge but my note 2 has retarded battery life anyway so it doesn't bother me (plus I rarely have to do this). Calls can also be set to vibrate, so that may work.

Another way to do this is through tasker. Set it to whenever you get a call between X and Y time, set off alarm. I will set it up as a tasker profile in a sec to give you details if you want.

Also when I plug my phone into speakers (my aux port in my car) the ring plays through the speakers, maybe you just need a dock or something with better speakers.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Edit: Naturally this only works with ANDROID, if you have iphone, too bad....I'll still leave the instructions here in case any other people want to know how to do this.

I just got it working in tasker, it's a little tiny bit complicated but it works and it's easy to set up.

Ok so first, download tasker (it's worth the price)

open tasker and create a new profile with the context being Event > Phone > Missed Call. Leave caller blank as you want this to work on all calls I assume. The way to get back and "save" your progress is to hit the arrow at the top left, directly to the left of the cog wheel icon. Otherwise you may lose your progress.

Once you hit the cog wheel icon, it will ask you to set up a task. Click new task. Name it whatever, doesn't matter.

First we want to set your alarm to max volume. To do this Hit the plus sign at the bottom, then go to Audio > Alarm Volume. Set it to as high as it will go (7 on mine) and hit the cog wheel back button at the top left.

Now click the plus sign at the bottom of the phone and go to Media > Music Play.

Select the file you want it to play (any sound will do as long as it's loud and you know it'll wake you up). You may have to download a sound file from somewhere if you don't have any available to you. Since I have google hangouts installed, it has a ringtone in there that I could use.

Set stream to ALARM, then hit the cog wheel thing at the top left again to go back.

Finally we will add a menu item that will allow you to turn off the alarm once you have woken up. Click the plus sign at the bottom of the phone once more, then click Alert > Menu. Title it whatever you want, then at the bottom hit the plus sign in the Items area. Make the label whatever you want ("I'm Awake" works) and click Action. Click Media > Music Stop. Hit the cog wheel back button thing again. Add an icon if you want to the left of the label, not required. Once you're done hit the cog wheel back button, and your tasker should look like this:

If it does, hit the cog wheel back button again and you're done! Restart tasker (disable tasker by holding down the cog wheel at the top left till it goes gray, then hold it again till it goes to color) and test it out by calling yourself and hanging up. You can also test it by simply hitting that little play button at the bottom left but I prefer a "real world" test to make sure it will actually work outside of the app's sandbox.

Tasker is pretty awesome for things like this. I have another profile set to when I plug in my headphones the phone unlocks and pandora automatically starts and turns the vol up to the level that I prefer and sets the screen timeout to 2 hours (I use this when I plug my phone into the car aux port). When I unplug the headphones it closes pandora and locks the phone.

I have another one that sends a text to my fiance when I am at a certain intersection so that she knows when to start packing up so she can hop in the car as soon as I get to her work (we only have one car at the moment). It texts her again when I arrive at her location.

I just started using tasker not long ago and I love it already, I'm constantly trying to set up cool things to do with it.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Thanks! I am on a android and that's what I was looking for. I could get smartactions to do the trick and this is like smartactions on steroids. I'll have to configure it tonight when I have some time. I knew there had to be a way, but searching through the play store was not getting me what I needed.

Thanks again!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Supposedly llama is a good free alternative but I've never used it so you'd have to kind of figure out how it would work with that.

I think 3 bucks is a steal for tasker though, it's insanely powerful.

Edit: Almost forgot, you'll want to turn this off of course other than that one night, or you will have alarms going off every time you miss a call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones