Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice on what smart phones to get. Here's a quick about me:

I'm still using an old phone, I think the style is like 7 to 9 years old. Mine doesn't even have a battery cover on the back because I got it cheaper off Ebay that way. I'm not tech illiterate, I repair computers for friends and family. I just didn't want to pay more for a smart phone.

However, my anniversary gift to my wife was agreeing to get smart phones. She has wanted one for a couple years, but still doesn't know much about what kinds to get. She believes she might like an Iphone 4. To save money on cell phones, we've been on my parents plan since we got married 8 years ago. If possible, we would be interested in continuing to do a family plan. Therefore, we would prefer a phone where we can stay with Verizon. I have no idea how the connection between phone types and carriers work. We don't really mind contracts.

Things we need: Unlimited text/pics (talk time can be limited)
It would be very nice to have: GPS
Things that don't matter: Having the newest style, watching tv shows on the phone, downloading large amounts

What budget friendly options do we have? Currently we are paying $60/month (total) for our share of the phone plan with unlimited text/pics but very old phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
If you don't want to pay that much you'd probably have to switch carriers; I doubt you'd pay less than $100 with smart phones on Verizon (last I checked). Although, I understand why you'd want to stay on it since Verizon does seem to have the best signal coverage out of the big 4 companies. As for the phones an iPhone does seem like a good starting smartphone as they're relatively easy to use while android, windows phone and blackberry have a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited by Canaan-84; 07-15-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,598 times
Used Pantech Burst from Ebay for $80, they come with a 30day warranty (I brought 3 for our family). Or a new Pantech Burst from Amazon for around $136. You are going to need micro simcards.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:16 AM

17 posts, read 15,858 times
Its a must in present life that everyone should have a smart phone.It isn’t difficult to buy a smart phone.Even we can buy it online from certain websites like E bay.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
The cost of a phone is minor in comparison to what you'll pay in service fees. Get the best phone that you can to make the best use of what you pay in service fees. In other words, don't skimp out on the phone. Especially when it comes to the OS (Latest Android version, latest iOS version, latest windows version,etc). Also, look into features like battery life. You don't want a $50 phone that dies in 2 hours. You want a phone that will let you utilize the service you pay for throughout the day.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Any Smartphone will have a GPS.
Most plans are unlimited everything except data.
The iPhone 4 would be good enough for some first timers to the Smartphone world meeting all your requirements and more.
You can get pricing on the Verizon website.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beurswand View Post
Its a must in present life that everyone should have a smart phone.It isn’t difficult to buy a smart phone.Even we can buy it online from certain websites like E bay.
sorry do not agree. do you know to this day my husband who is 50 years old still has never had a cell phone and he is just fine without one.
im ready to get rid of mine and go back to flip phone,im sick of paying over 150 bucks for 2 phones,my daughter will keep hers but im going to a flip for 25 bucks a month. i hardly ever use my smart phone,im at work 8 hours a day,i get home and have to do wifey chores then,by that time i can easily go on my tablet. i see no need for a smart phone,the novelty has worn off.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
sorry do not agree. do you know to this day my husband who is 50 years old still has never had a cell phone and he is just fine without one.
im ready to get rid of mine and go back to flip phone,im sick of paying over 150 bucks for 2 phones,my daughter will keep hers but im going to a flip for 25 bucks a month. i hardly ever use my smart phone,im at work 8 hours a day,i get home and have to do wifey chores then,by that time i can easily go on my tablet. i see no need for a smart phone,the novelty has worn off.
You have to move with the times, pretty soon there won't be anything but smartphones. I don't think there are even flip phones anymore (at least at t-mobile there isn't). They still have some feature phones some of which are refurbished but I assume those will be gone in a year or two as well? Even my 82 year old grandfather has one since he finds the touch screen much easier to use than the old keypads.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
I'm using the flip phone. If it wasn't for my wife wanting to upgrade, I'd have waited another couple years. I'm not worried about the price to buy the phone itself, but the service charges seem outrageous. We've been with verizon because my parents having the plan means the account fee was already paid. We just have an automatic payment scheduled to them each month to cover the two additional line fees.

Are there any restrictions on which carriers we can use with the iphone4?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Are there any restrictions on which carriers we can use with the iphone4?
Yes there is. If you buy an iPhone 4 from Verizon, it cannot be used w/ At&t or T-mobile and conversely an At&t or T-mobile iPhone 4 cannot be used w/ Verizon or Sprint.

Last year's iPhone 5 is a little different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones