Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 890 times

Advertisements

Someone should mention that the money for unused minutes in these plans can be used to buy new Virgin Mobile phones. My husband had over $200 in his pay as you go account which he used to buy me a new smart phone ( I have the $35 a month plan).
After you select your phone there is an option on the checkout page to apply your plan balance. If there isn't enough in your balance to cover the cost of the new phone you can top it up before your purchase.
So buy someone a new phone with all those left over dollars. Call Virgin Mobile for detailed information if you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 06:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Person View Post
Someone should mention that the money for unused minutes in these plans can be used to buy new Virgin Mobile phones. My husband had over $200 in his pay as you go account which he used to buy me a new smart phone ( I have the $35 a month plan).
After you select your phone there is an option on the checkout page to apply your plan balance. If there isn't enough in your balance to cover the cost of the new phone you can top it up before your purchase.
So buy someone a new phone with all those left over dollars. Call Virgin Mobile for detailed information if you need.
Good Point! I just got an Email from Virgin detailing how it works, not that many phone choices available for the very basic plan I have but it's really just for emergency use so fine for me.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,756 times
Was Virgin Mobile the one where you could check your balance five times a day for free, then there was a fee after that?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:13 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b777 View Post
Was Virgin Mobile the one where you could check your balance five times a day for free, then there was a fee after that?
I think so, I rarely checked as after throwing $20 at it every 3 months, my balance was never in danger of getting too low so I rarely checked. I've found it worth the $$$ just to put in the car, mainly for emergency use and useful if I need to contact someone when away from home.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b777 View Post
T-Mobile prepaid only requires $10 per 90 days to maintain service. For an emergency-type phone that is rarely used, that is the lowest cost service I know of. The drawback of T-Mobile prepaid is they only have a few lower cost phones. They have a gray Samsung flip phone that I think has been out for about three years, that's $30 at Walmart.
If you don't like T-Mobile network, Page Plus Cellular will activate you on the Verizon service for $10 for 120 days which is even cheaper. You cannot activate a 4G phone, but you can get an Android Smart phone (about $30 at Walmart) that is 3G. The advantage of this setup, is that you can install Google Voice/Hangouts on the phone so you have unlimited free calls over wifi. So instead of a phone that sits in the car for emergencies, you have a phone that plays recorded music anywhere, makes wifi calls and texts, and where you can install other apps for use on wifi for news, weather, remote control operations, Google chromecast, etc.

I got a 4 ounce phone at Walmart Optimus Fuel L34C for $20 in February at Walmart with total Internal Memory‎: ‎1.79 GB and a MicroSD® Memory Slot‎: ‎4 GB included, but upgrade-able to 32 GB. Coupled with a 5.6 ounce mini speaker weighing 5.6 ounces that you can clip to your belt for music (normally $20, but onsale for $10), plus $30 a year to Page Plus, I have a passable music system, emergency cellular phone, and unlimited wifi voice calling. Now that is ultra-frugal.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-14-2015 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
YEP!

Because they've eliminated the plan I was using which was basically throw $20 at it every three months, 18 cents a minute and whatever you didn't use carried over. I didn't use it much, had it mainly for emergency use, and now they're keeping almost $100 of my money.
.18 cents a minute that's a rip off. att only charges .10 cents per minute for voice and text i'm not sure, or you can go up to 2.00 a day and get unlimited calling and texting for that day until 11:59 that night if you don't use the phone that much. put a 100 bucks on your acct and your golden for a year.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitaifun View Post
I think my account may have been closed as well. I had it for emergencies and didn't really use it much at all for over 5 years, and have built up over $500 in minutes. If I find the account is still open I would love to sell those minutes cheap!
Update (7-2020): Eventually I just bought several phones to use up the credits in my account. I don't keep a cell phone to make and receive calls, but at least can use it as a camera.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:39 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitaifun View Post
Update (7-2020):
You actually updated a 7 year old threat that has not had a post in over 4.5 years.

Virgin Mobile doesn't even exist anymore.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 AM

291 posts, read 109,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You actually updated a 7 year old threat that has not had a post in over 4.5 years.

Virgin Mobile doesn't even exist anymore.
it still does, theres a virgin mobile store down the road from me that still does plans and stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones