Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,986,542 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right place to post this...I can't figure out a better place!

My son has been wanting an IPOD for a while. However, I am actually thinking about getting him a new cell phone (he's a responsible 16 yr old). I have been seeing a lot of these music phones, and I am just not music phone literate...I'm not real literate about the IPOD either...

I have been looking at the Sony Ericsson Walkman phone. Here are some questions:

1. What does and IPOD do that this phone can't do...if anything?
2. Does this phone hold a lot of songs and does it basically function like an IPOD but cross over as a phone?
3. Do you use earbuds or?? to listen to the music?
4. What is your opinion about this phone, in general?
5. Do you have any suggestions for a comparable phone that is within that price range or cheaper, that is compatible with Cingular?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 PM

261 posts, read 951,859 times
I have the LG ENV and it plays music, takes pictures and has a keyboard for texting. I love it! You can also add a memory card to hold more then the internal memory of the phone. About $100.00 but check Verizon for holiday specials. There are other brands better for teens. We bought last year at christmas for our two nieces ages 16-17, the
LG-VX8300 is one of the phones that our niece got, the other is Nokia 6315i. We are on the family share plan, unlimited txting and pictures/videos to send to each other. We also put the insurance on the phones for $5.00 a month extra. This has been needed. Nieces father used phone once and dropped it, and then it got run over. Luckily it's cheap to replace. Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
I have the LG ENV and it plays music, takes pictures and has a keyboard for texting. I love it! You can also add a memory card to hold more then the internal memory of the phone. About $100.00 but check Verizon for holiday specials. There are other brands better for teens. We bought last year at christmas for our two nieces ages 16-17, the
LG-VX8300 is one of the phones that our niece got, the other is Nokia 6315i. We are on the family share plan, unlimited txting and pictures/videos to send to each other. We also put the insurance on the phones for $5.00 a month extra. This has been needed. Nieces father used phone once and dropped it, and then it got run over. Luckily it's cheap to replace. Good Luck!
Thanks for the response!

I guess my biggest question is if there is anything that makes an IPOD more special than one of these Music Phones?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM

320 posts, read 1,728,497 times
THE NEW, not yet released LG voyager OR the NEW not yet released Sony Ericsson W960i both are being dubbed the iphone killer !! the Lg is on Verizon and the Sony Ericsson will be on ATT.

depending on what carrier you use you will not wrong with either.

personally I would prefer separate devices. I rarely take my cellphone where I use my Ipod and vice versa.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
THE NEW, not yet released LG voyager OR the NEW not yet released Sony Ericsson W960i both are being dubbed the iphone killer !! the Lg is on Verizon and the Sony Ericsson will be on ATT.

depending on what carrier you use you will not wrong with either.

personally I would prefer separate devices. I rarely take my cellphone where I use my Ipod and vice versa.
Thanks for the tip!

My son usually has his phone with him, so I just thought it would be a better idea to have a phone that crosses over as a music player...Also, if he loses the phone in his room or something, he can always call the phone to find it, whereas the IPOD would just be MIA until it happened to "show up".

Old 11-13-2007, 05:24 PM

93 posts, read 325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Thanks for the response!

I guess my biggest question is if there is anything that makes an IPOD more special than one of these Music Phones?
The thing that really seperates iPod from anything else - other mp3/music players, music phones, etc - is the user interface. Apple didn't do a single thing new in the iPod, they just did it in a way that people felt much more comfortable using.

Thus far, in my opinion, no music phone to date has really replicated that ease of use.

Don't take that as a knock; I own and use a music phone continuously and I love it (Samsung u520 + LG wave for the wife). I do so because I know the ui is a bit clunky and I'm ok with that

Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiance View Post
The thing that really seperates iPod from anything else - other mp3/music players, music phones, etc - is the user interface. Apple didn't do a single thing new in the iPod, they just did it in a way that people felt much more comfortable using.

Thus far, in my opinion, no music phone to date has really replicated that ease of use.

Don't take that as a knock; I own and use a music phone continuously and I love it (Samsung u520 + LG wave for the wife). I do so because I know the ui is a bit clunky and I'm ok with that
Thanks! That makes sense. So, basically, it's just the ease of use that earns the IPOD all the brownie points...

I'm actually leaning toward the Sony Ericsson W810i Walkman. It has a 512mb card in it and holds approximately 175 songs or so. Any thoughts on this phone compared to others that have been mentioned?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 PM

6,559 posts, read 11,189,854 times
The 'only' difference with the iPod vs other players (and phones) is the iTunes infrastructure. For the most part, the others are just mp3 players. iPods allows you to synch to your iTunes application and be able to connect to the apple itunes store so you can purchase music/TV shows/and Movies. These are all services I'm sure will come out from other vendors in the near future.

However, for the time being, the Apple infrastructure is probably the most complete.

Do you need to have it? absolutely not. Those that have a large collection of music can go without the itunes store. Some actually do not like the way the iTunes sofware organizes their song files.

Think of it as a software (iTunes), hardware (a phone or player such as iPOD that supports iTunes), and service (Apples iTunes store) bundle all in one.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM

320 posts, read 1,728,497 times
I wouldc ertainly wait until after Thanksgiving the prices won't change much until Janurary but they come down a bit for the XMas season.
I really like the Sony Ericsson products on the GSM side(ATT)

Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,915,812 times
Perhaps you are referring to the "iPhone" instead of the iPod? Let a bunch of kids play with several telephones that include the iPhone, and most will pick this one, although it's more expensive than most. The same thing with the iPod. You can place several MP3 players next to an iPod, and the kids will go for the iPod. I believe the iPhone also comes with Safari for surfing the next and such. The iPhone is both an iPod and a cell phone, while the iPod is just an MP3 player like other players out there, except that its interface is outstanding when compared to the rest.

You can download songs from the iTune's store (for both the iPhone or the iPod), but you can also upload songs from CD's-or whatever you want-to your computer, and then use the iTune's program in your computer. You can set iTunes in your computer to automatically transfer all the songs to the iPod (or iPhone), or you can do it manually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones