Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Like Apple, Microsoft Now Controls Every Aspect Of Its Smartphones, But Hasn’t Shown Itself Ready For The Responsibility | TechCrunch

Probably a good move by MSFT, and a good place to put $7.5 billion.
MSFT hardware I have purchased always seems to be of good quality.

I hope they continue in the same vein and capitalize on Nokia's reputation for good hardware and don't screw it up with bloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Like Apple, Microsoft Now Controls Every Aspect Of Its Smartphones, But Hasn’t Shown Itself Ready For The Responsibility | TechCrunch

Probably a good move by MSFT, and a good place to put $7.5 billion.
MSFT hardware I have purchased always seems to be of good quality.

I hope they continue in the same vein and capitalize on Nokia's reputation for good hardware and don't screw it up with bloat.
One of the best things Apple has done is have pretty much complete control over their devices and not allow the carriers to brand them which can look awful (see Verizon's Galaxy Note II and Verizon's LG G2) and also prevent pre-loaded bloatware. Oh and timely updates too. It's no wonder Google released the Nexus 4 unlocked so as to avoid these problems.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
One of the best things Apple has done is have pretty much complete control over their devices and not allow the carriers to brand them which can look awful (see Verizon's Galaxy Note II and Verizon's LG G2) and also prevent pre-loaded bloatware. Oh and timely updates too. It's no wonder Google released the Nexus 4 unlocked so as to avoid these problems.
I will have a new phone in the spring, and hope that MSFT and Sprint can offer something interesting.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times
Both companies are clients of mine. This is great news, but bittersweet at the same time.

The Finns are quite proud of Nokia and to see the handset division get sold off is somewhat disheartening.

However on the upside, we are seeing intention for a real 3 horse race. MSFT wants to play ball and have acquired an amazing team at Nokia. No question.
It easily could have been Blackberry or HTC rather than Nokia. So with that being said, I think they made a great decision.

I see this as a total win for consumers if MSFT allows NOK to really go guns blazing in terms of OS development.

Good luck to them. Things just got a lot more interesting, thats for sure.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Slate has some good analysis: Microsoft-Nokia deal: A great idea that came too late, and killed Windows. - Slate Magazine

Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I think he is a bit over the top in his conclusions. Lots of speculation.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think he is a bit over the top in his conclusions. Lots of speculation.
I think it’s pretty logical. I have predicted for a while (since the Chromebooks came out) that there will be three main operating systems: Windows 8, OS X/iOS, and Chrome/Android.

Compatibility between documents is so seamless that it doesn’t matter which you use anymore—especially for the home user.

There are two models: either the Google free-for-all (in every sense of the phrase) of Android, Chrome, Google Docs, etc., or the tightly controlled “boutique” ecosystem of Apple. Microsoft is betting on the latter.

Google is a very dislocating force because it gives away so much functionality because its profit center lies elsewhere.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I still remember when many said that Apple was dead .Wait and see like always.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,670 times
Nokia's history is very interesting. They began in 1865 as a paper mill company. In 1902 Nokia added electricity generation to their offerings. They also manufactured galoshes! The company has evolved for almost 150 years. With the devices and services divisions sold Nokia will be a global telecommunications equipment leader with NSN (Nokia Solutions and Networks). With that extra cash they should buy out Alcatel Lucent and re-introduce a dividend to their shareholders .

Many people in Finland are disappointed to hear about the Microsoft news. As much as I like Nokia's smartphones (very high quality) it would have been an uphill battle for them even though the Lumia line is gaining traction globally. The devices and services divisions are losing money and they are anchors on the balance sheet. Nokia will be a smaller and leaner company with lots of cash! I wonder if the shareholders will approve the acquisition? Pension funds in Finland hold Nokia stock. The acquisition was planned months and months ago. When Nokia bought the rest of NSN from Siemens back in July the devices/services purchase by MS was a done deal. I added more stock to my position.

History of Nokia:

Nokia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Nokia story - Nokia

-Cheers.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM

805 posts, read 1,873,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I still remember when many said that Apple was dead .Wait and see like always.
True, but then Apple had Steve Jobs....who does MSFT have??

GOOG is unstoppable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones