U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 PM

8,510 posts, read 12,639,299 times

Advertisements

Just hung up with the script-reading, Cust Svc rep at Verizon who matter-of-factly told me that I cannot just immediately cancel my service with them now that we've ported our numbers to another carrier, but I will be billed for several more weeks till the end of the next billing cycle.

We purposely waited to make the move to another carrier until we reached the end of our 2 year renewal contract on Sept 6. We were on vacation from 9/7 - 9/12, so we went to the new carrier's location on 9/13 and requested to port our phone numbers to the new service. This was completed on the same day.

I called VZW tonight to ensure our account will be disconnected and they informed me that my account is now in Suspended status and I will be billed till the end of the current cycle.

The flip side is if I had requested to port my numbers before the 6th of September, that would have made us liable for their early termination fee ($350).

I have been loyal to VZW during the 15 or so years we were with them for service. We always paid our bills on time and felt we had a decent deal with them. Now we made a move to a more affordable carrier and I guess VZW just had to put the screw to us on the way out.

So, it looks like they've won the battle. Now I'll work on winning the war. They've lost my account already. Now I'll advise my family and friends of this little moneygrab and the plusses of our new T-Mobile plan (monthly savings with a better plan). Hopefully others will follow and cost VZW even more!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,776,493 times
Cool story bro...

Which carrier did you choose and why?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,223,341 times
Stripes17,

Sorry to hear that you are upset, but this is how postpaid cellular carriers bill customers. You are always paying for your service 1 month in advance and your billing cycle rarely corresponds with your activation date. Just move on and don't let it bother you further. The last statement is not prorated, only the first month's statement is.

You are correct that word of mouth does go a long way and that should be some consolation for you.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,241,711 times
I don't think they can charge you for service that they don't provide. I believe they will prorate the service rather than billing you for the full month.

What they won't do is print your final bill early, so you'll have to wait the full month to receive your final bill, which should only be for a week's worth of service.

I would call Verizon again to clarify. Hopefully you'll get a better phone rep who actually knows stuff instead of just being a "script reader."

Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I don't think they can charge you for service that they don't provide. I believe they will prorate the service rather than billing you for the full month.
As I stated earlier, the final bill is not prorated. Might not seem fair, but all postpaid carriers bill in this fashion.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,471,587 times
My experience with most Telcos, cable providers, satellite, etc are all unpleasant at best. Because of this I us any of them only as little as possible (I love my OTA TV service...). They don't care about 'loyalty' and only cut a break if you are walking away from them, putting people in an uncomfortable 'negotiating'/begging situation, hoping you won't figure it out and will just renew, often at higher rates etc.

I am very happy with my newly acquired Straight Talk cell service. I'm sure there are many other non-contract providers that please customers too. I inferred moving to non-contract cell might be a serious trend but had no data/reference. A quick Google gave me the following fresh off the backbone article. It is provided FYI FWIW.

The OP made me curious to see how this is trending link to US News article

Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM

The article is interesting but is a little dated. It was written in 2011 and mentioned the possibility of getting a 1 year contract when buying a phone from a carrier. The 1 year contract went extinct before that article was written. Definitely not an option any longer.

Don't get me wrong, it is still useful and offers some good advice.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 PM

14,536 posts, read 22,872,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
As I stated earlier, the final bill is not prorated. Might not seem fair, but all postpaid carriers bill in this fashion.
That doesn't make it right.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM

No argument with you. I liked the option of 1 year contract pricing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,598,581 times
This just shows that having a contract for a phone is becoming more and more stupid. I don't do contracts for phones and tv and internet service. They are not important enough to bind people to contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones