U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM

38,829 posts, read 67,224,018 times

Advertisements

I'm up for another phone next spring and will look at all three major platforms.

50% chance it will be Android.
40% chance it will be Windows.
10% chance it will be Apple.

I don't need more than about 25 apps, so having a million available doesn't worry me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I wouldn't get another Android unless it was a top tier smartphone from a big player like Samsung, HTC or a Nexus device--and only if you are a techie and enjoy playing with your smartphone and don't mind a few glitches here and there. The low to mid tier Android devices are more trouble than they are worth and are often outdated 5 minutes after you walk out the door.

If you want a solid, reliable smartphone with equally solid customer support then go with the iPhone. That being said, there is plenty of cool stuff about the iPhone as well if you are interested in it.

I wouldn't suggest a windows phone until the platform matures--too few apps.
My grandmother came from an iPhone to an android phone and she doesn't even know what CTRL+C does, would you call her a "techie" if she likes her android more?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,286,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree with NJBest. They are ALL easy to use.

I always say:
If you like to Tinker: Android
If you don't: iPhone
If you love Windows: Windows

The only problem with Android is people buy the cheaper phones which frankly aren't as good and are more buggy then the more expensive ones.
You bought the Charge for $50 or $99 and you should have got the Galaxy S2 at that time for $200.
You'd be happier today.
That makes perfect sense. At first when we changed (from Metro) I LOVED this phone. At the time we bought these (my husband bought the same one) they were great! However, I use mine way more than him, so that is why I am encountering these issues and he isn't! We actually got these phones for free!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I've had all three (and BB and Symbian).

iOS is smooth and the apps are better. If you want stability, responsiveness, and quality apps, iOS is pretty much the only choice.

Personally, when looking for a new phone, I'd consider iOS and Windows Phone, but never Android, having been burned too many times by flaky software, instability, and sluggishness.
Thanks for the advice! That is exactly what I was kind of getting to. Good to know! I'm so tired of the sluggishness of my phone!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Agree with NJBest. They are ALL easy to use.

I always say:
If you like to Tinker: Android
If you don't: iPhone
If you love Windows: Windows

The only problem with Android is people buy the cheaper phones which frankly aren't as good and are more buggy then the more expensive ones.
You bought the Charge for $50 or $99 and you should have got the Galaxy S2 at that time for $200.
You'd be happier today.
Stupid question, and I've tried googling - what exactly is tinkering? Basically what I got is you can customize more, but I really don't think I "tinker" I basically just download the apps (ie: facebook, wiki, amazon, gasbuddy, groupon) and use them!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 AM

13,832 posts, read 15,899,946 times
There are no stupid ques.. errr yes there are: but this isn't one of them!
Tinker aka customize.

Here are some extreme examples of how different you can make your Android phone look:
40 Really Cool Android Home Screens For your Inspiration
Compare that to this website where people show off the homescreens on their iDevices:
http://homescreen.me/explore
They all look the same. Just different icons on different screens.

You can't do that on Windows or Apple phones. You just can't. The basic look and structure of them are very rigid. Your iPhone homescreen looks just like everyone else's. Oh you may have different icons and folders in the different places but they all look more or less the same. You cannot customize them at all.
Likewise with the freedom to use other CORE apps. I don't like the Txt Msg app that comes with Android, so I can download 7 or 8 other ones and try them out til I find one I like. and they integrate perfectly with the phone. I can try different internet browsers, phone dialer, email programs, calendar etc etc etc...
You cannot do that with the other guys.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM

13,832 posts, read 15,899,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
We actually got these phones for free!
Exactly. This is one of the problems with Android: fragmentation.
Someone gets a low end Android phone for free. Has problems. Pays $200 for an iPhone and then thinks "Man, this blows Android away!!!!!!"
Well... if you would have spent the same amount of money on an Android...

I hope non of this comes off as Anti-Apple. I love Android but I am not Anti-Apple by any means.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 31,738,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm up for another phone next spring and will look at all three major platforms.

50% chance it will be Android.
40% chance it will be Windows.
10% chance it will be Apple.

I don't need more than about 25 apps, so having a million available doesn't worry me.
I know someone who had a relatively small list of generic apps they used and that was it, and I went with them to the carrier and wound up steering them to a Windows phone and they love it. They made a list of the apps they needed and those particular ones were all actually available in the Win app store. They wound up loving the phone.

I tried out a Winphone at one point but in my case there's a handful of very specific apps that I need for both personal and business use, so I had to go back to an iPhone to conform for those and the fact that everyone in my business is using them as well. Still, some of the Winphones are not bad at all if folks can handle the app side of it. I found them to be easy to navigate.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 9,564,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I know someone who had a relatively small list of generic apps they used and that was it, and I went with them to the carrier and wound up steering them to a Windows phone and they love it. They made a list of the apps they needed and those particular ones were all actually available in the Win app store. They wound up loving the phone.

I tried out a Winphone at one point but in my case there's a handful of very specific apps that I need for both personal and business use, so I had to go back to an iPhone to conform for those and the fact that everyone in my business is using them as well. Still, some of the Winphones are not bad at all if folks can handle the app side of it. I found them to be easy to navigate.
Yup, exactly the rub I was referring to. Really spot on.

A friend of mine was as an iPhone user and I had shown him a Lumia 1020. He was blown away, but I warned him right up front what the deal was in regards to apps, connectivity etc.

He LOVES the 1020, but did carry around an iPhone on a trip to NYC because there were specific apps like Citi Bike which had maps of all the stations etc.
What he wasnt aware of was that many of these apps he used, had mobile optimized websites. Once I showed him that companies are adopting this more and more it made a lot more sense.

Of course this is barring certain tools that are really app focused.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:41 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Exactly. This is one of the problems with Android: fragmentation.
Someone gets a low end Android phone for free. Has problems. Pays $200 for an iPhone and then thinks "Man, this blows Android away!!!!!!"
Well... if you would have spent the same amount of money on an Android...

I hope non of this comes off as Anti-Apple. I love Android but I am not Anti-Apple by any means.
the thing is, the problems aren't limited to low end phones. My Droid Incredible was not low end for its time, but was still sluggish. My RAZR HD was top of the line at the time and cost just as much as an iPhone. The performance was awful - couldn't even play an mp3 and use maps at the same time without skipping. No amount of wiping and not installing third party apps would help. Look at S4 reviews that complain about sluggishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones