U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,682,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
the thing is, the problems aren't limited to low end phones. My Droid Incredible was not low end for its time, but was still sluggish. My RAZR HD was top of the line at the time and cost just as much as an iPhone. The performance was awful - couldn't even play an mp3 and use maps at the same time without skipping. No amount of wiping and not installing third party apps would help. Look at S4 reviews that complain about sluggishness.
I have 2 S4's in the family and neither of the people who use it complain about it being sluggish. the Dinc was a terrible phone for it's time, not because of the specs necessarily but because of SenseUI and how HORRIBLY slow it was. I never played with the razr HD.

It all depends on what you do with your phone. If you have a buttload of stuff syncing and updating and running at the same time, of course you'll see performance hits. Android allows more of this to occur, so surely you would not expect to run 15 different news apps, weather apps, etc.

iOS is and has always been MORE OPTIMIZED than android because it has a very low hardware pool to work for. Android has to work for a TON of devices, it can never be as tight and well-tuned as iOS. This is why you see iPhones with lower specs do as well in speed tests and benchmarks versus an android device with higher specs.

At the end of the day, as with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE THREADS () there is no real winner. Some people like iPhones, some people like Android phones, some people still like candybar nokia dumb phones. Play with the ones you're interested in and choose based on YOUR OWN experiences, you're the one that'll be using it, not some schmoe on the internet telling you which one THEY think is better. Naturally, do your research and make sure what you spend is what the device is worth, but take opinions with 10 grains of salt. If I bought something that I thought was the greatest thing ever and next week you come to me and show me your fancy new thing, I'm still going to tell you mine's better because I've convinced myself of it. It's human nature.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:01 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,831,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
the thing is, the problems aren't limited to low end phones. My Droid Incredible was not low end for its time, but was still sluggish. My RAZR HD was top of the line at the time and cost just as much as an iPhone. The performance was awful - couldn't even play an mp3 and use maps at the same time without skipping. No amount of wiping and not installing third party apps would help. Look at S4 reviews that complain about sluggishness.
I have a RAZR HD and I love it. She flies. Of course, I replaced the Stock Launcher.

You can't even arrange icons freely on an iDevice. That's actually annoying. Like maybe a row of 4 at the top of the screen and a row of 4 at the bottom and space in between.
That one surprised me when I first saw it. Really? In this day and age not being able to do something that simple: mind blown...

Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have a RAZR HD and I love it. She flies. Of course, I replaced the Stock Launcher.

You can't even arrange icons freely on an iDevice. That's actually annoying. Like maybe a row of 4 at the top of the screen and a row of 4 at the bottom and space in between.
That one surprised me when I first saw it. Really? In this day and age not being able to do something that simple: mind blown...
It "flies" until you pick up an iOS or WP device. Replacing the stock launcher can provide some improvement, if you go with some stripped down launcher instead. But that's at best a bandaid that doesn't really solve the problem.

The only way I ever found to get mine to be responsive was to restart it every day or so, but I'd rather not live like it's 1995. No amount of wiping, not installing apps, disabling animations, and removing widgets would make it as responsive as it should have been. It's 2013, and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect my phone to be responsive and quick all the time without having to mess around with changing launchers or reboot the thing all the time. I don't want to wait while it churns along and figures out which text message came from which person and finally gets around to displaying accurate message counts, just to name one thing that irritates me.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM

44,255 posts, read 58,500,846 times
Love my MotoX. Would not trade it for any of the iPhones.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,114,293 times
If you could buy this phone for < $250 would that help you make up your mind?
Orient N3 Plus 2GB RAM 32GB ROM - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Alternative - 5.7 Inch MTK6589 Turbo 1.5Ghz Quad Core Cell Phone GPS/3G

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,831,479 times
Not a chance. Orient? Never even heard of them.

And I never ever buy anything from a website that cannot take the time to get the text of the website properly translated.

" if you want to spruce up your personal life and career with speed and quality at the most economical wholesale price just right here! "

Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,682,503 times
No way in hell would I buy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones