U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,165,302 times

Advertisements

Currently I have an Android, (Samsung Charge) and it's been giving me so many issues. Locks up, aps fail & close out, takes what it seems an hour to turn on if the battery died, my contacts disappeared (only one time, but still, wasn't nice) If i take a lot of photos in a row - it will get stuck on the "camera" option and not take a photo and the only way to get it out of that mode is to restart the phone! These are all I can think of at the moment!!!

I'm so frustrated w/ this phone! My contract is not up for a while. I've considered "losing" my phone so I could get a new one. (we have insurance) Okay, not to that extent really... but kind of looking at my options and weighing them so when I can upgrade I have info.

I am considering going iphone. For those of you that made the switch from Android to iphone.. how did you like it? The Windows phone seems nice,(one of my good friends upgraded recently from Android to Windows phone) but it seems they don't have nearly as many apps yet as android and iphone. They are newer, so I know they'll get there though.

My plan is through Verizon.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 PM

7,248 posts, read 5,756,418 times
I've had all three (and BB and Symbian).

Android is good if you like to tinker. But, lock ups, broken crashy apps, stuttering, lagging, and randomly just failing to work seem to plague many devices.

Windows Phone has, IMO, the most useful and user-friendly interface for a phone, but the app situation kills it and there are some pretty major omissions, like a lack of a proper notification system.

iOS is smooth and the apps are better. If you want stability, responsiveness, and quality apps, iOS is pretty much the only choice.

Personally, when looking for a new phone, I'd consider iOS and Windows Phone, but never Android, having been burned too many times by flaky software, instability, and sluggishness.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,044,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I'm so frustrated w/ this phone! My contract is not up for a while. I've considered "losing" my phone so I could get a new one. (we have insurance) Okay, not to that extent really... but kind of looking at my options and weighing them so when I can upgrade I have info.

I am considering going iphone. For those of you that made the switch from Android to iphone.. how did you like it?
My plan is through Verizon.

Thanks for any input!
I'm also with Verizon (since 1998) and just switched to the 64GB iPhone 5s... I've had it for 4 days and really like it. This is my first iPhone.

I was using a 32GB Galaxy S3 with an extra 32GB on the microSD card. Prior to that I had a Motorola Droid 2... also running Android. I had no problems with the Android OS over the last few years... I switched to an iPhone for compatibility. A couple months ago I bought my first ever Mac.. a MacBook Air. I fell in love but for obvious reasons Android phones don't go very well with Apple laptops.

So I bit the bullet and paid full price ($849) for the 64GB 5s. With no SD card slot I went with the most storage. I was not due for an upgrade having had my S3 for just over 1 year, but it's fine. I sold the S3 on Ebay and got $320 (kinda shocking considering Android phones have a resale life of about a year) and applied the funds to my iPhone purchase. Next September when I am upgrade eligible I can sell this 5s and get the next iPhone for free. iPhones have the best resale value and I know I can sell this one and cover the $399 upgrade price for the new iPhone next year. (Maybe it will have a biggest screen? )

I like this phone. iOS is pretty nice... the screen size is smaller but I've already gotten used to it. The 4" iPhone screen isn't anything I can't handle. I love being able to plug into my laptop and get all the phone related info and updates right from iTunes. I synced all my songs and movies straight to the phone and plugging it into my car gives me all my music right there on the screen... no more burning CD's!

I'll never go back to a Windows laptop... and don't think I'll be going back to an Android phone either. I don't have anything against either I just like Apple's products better... even if they come at a premium price.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 AM

28 posts, read 30,907 times
Iphone is easiest to use and has the best customer service.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 AM

24,497 posts, read 36,190,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ GUY View Post
Iphone is easiest to use and has the best customer service.
Subjective on both accounts.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 AM

11,983 posts, read 14,120,848 times
Agree with NJBest. They are ALL easy to use.

I always say:
If you like to Tinker: Android
If you don't: iPhone
If you love Windows: Windows

The only problem with Android is people buy the cheaper phones which frankly aren't as good and are more buggy then the more expensive ones.
You bought the Charge for $50 or $99 and you should have got the Galaxy S2 at that time for $200.
You'd be happier today.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Personally, when looking for a new phone, I'd consider iOS and Windows Phone, but never Android, having been burned too many times by flaky software, instability, and sluggishness.
Perhaps don't install crappily made apps?

There are tons and tons of well-made apps for Android devices. It's cheaper for developers to create Android apps and it's easier to keep them maintained. Google does not have as harsh of a reviewing process as Apple does. This is good and bad. It's good because users get updates whenever they are ready, not whenever Apple tells you they're ready, but it's bad because there ARE a lot of shady apps out there. Read reviews, stick with apps you know are trusted.

Don't blame the platform for shoddy dev work.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,049,383 times
I am huge Windows Phone fan, but also can be objective about it. While it has many pros, there are by all accounts, lots of things that not there, but only compared to the other eco-systems.
So, I always tell friends/family, if you are just coming to a smartphone, its DEFINITELY worth a shot. You wont be missing features that you didnt have anyway. Its the one platform of the 3 that has the most room to grow and I feel in some ways an advantage or disadvatange depending on how you look at it.
For me its rock solid. I am not someone that needs tons of apps that I never needed. I am a pretty straightforward smart phone user. Multiple email accounts, amazing camera, browser and easy to navigate.

iOS is really the tried and true hero here. Its supported by just about everything out there on the web and then some. The OS is pretty stable and no frills. Easily the go to by a mile when all is said and done for folks looking for a straight up, 'I am not a techie person' kind of experience. While it does appeal to techies, it has a much broader mass appeal and the hardware is excellent.

Android OS is the closest to a PC in terms of options an functionality. The OS can be bent and shaped however you want it. While some manufacturers have tried to simplify the loads of options it has, it may not appeal to some end users. It has broad support from developers etc.
You may or may not get support after buying an Android device. Maybe for one major update for some top tier devices, but after that, you would either have to tinker with rooting your device. But for all intents and purposes where the OS is at now, any updates are minor and shouldnt really impact your day to day use for the foreseeable future.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,603,944 times
I've been an android fan ever since my OG Droid1. Like many have said before, I think android is best for those who like to customize and tweak things exactly to their liking. IPhone would be best suited for those who like things right out of the box. As for Windows... I don't even know...

Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM

1,790 posts, read 3,667,473 times
I wouldn't get another Android unless it was a top tier smartphone from a big player like Samsung, HTC or a Nexus device--and only if you are a techie and enjoy playing with your smartphone and don't mind a few glitches here and there. The low to mid tier Android devices are more trouble than they are worth and are often outdated 5 minutes after you walk out the door.

If you want a solid, reliable smartphone with equally solid customer support then go with the iPhone. That being said, there is plenty of cool stuff about the iPhone as well if you are interested in it.

I wouldn't suggest a windows phone until the platform matures--too few apps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones