Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 04:24 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

About a month ago my brother gave me his old iPhone 4 to use as an iPod. After using it for this period of time I'm thinking why not get it activated through T-Mobile? The phone looks brand new and I have downloaded iOS 7 already. I use it for iTunes and cycling Apps and it's basically a small computer right now (WIFI use). I have a work phone already but wanted a quality cheaper personal phone so this would be perfect. My brother now has an iPhone 5 through AT&T as was the iPhone 4 when he had it and the cellular number that was used on the iPhone 4 was transferred to the iPhone 5.

Today I popped open the SIM tray on the iPhone 4 and an AT&T SIM card was in it. I wondered why the SIM card was not removed and transferred to my brother's iPhone 5? Does the iPhone 5 require a physically bigger SIM card than whats used on the iPhone 4?

Anyways, with the above info my question is what do I have to do to unlock the AT&T iPhone 4 (if it isn't already ) to be able to get it activated at T-Mobile?? I went to Settings> About> Network and found this: SIM not provisioned. What does this mean? Thanks in advance.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Yes, the iPhone 5 uses what is called a nano SIM, so your brothers SIM would not have worked in the 5 unless he hat a 'cutter' to trim the micro SIM down.

When it says its not provisioned, it means its not provisioned. lol
All kidding aside, it means its DOA. There is no active service on that ATT SIM card, likely because his account was moved to the new nano SIM in his 5, rendering it as not provisioned.

Do you have a T-mo SIM card to put into the phone? Is it a micro SIM?

Unlocking it is fairly. Easy. actually you might be able to do it for free if you ask your brother to call a CS rep at AT&T. If he is a long standing customer, they will likely just email the unlock code to him and you are home free. He will need the phone though to give them his IMEI if its not on file already.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Do you have a T-mo SIM card to put into the phone? Is it a micro SIM?
No, I don't have a T-Mobile SIM card and the card is tiny so I assume it's a micro card (about the size of your pinkie's finger nail).

I've received two versions from T-Mobile of which first steps to take: first from a store employee and then the second from customer service/India. The store employee said first to buy a $10 SIM card from T-Mobile and then go home and perform the unlock steps and then return to the store with the phone unlocked and then customer service said get the phone unlocked first before buying the SIM card. That's why I decided to post here.

-Cheers.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 AM

Never mind. I have to bother my brother and get some of his personal info to get the phone unlocked from AT&T before I can go with T Mobile. Screw that. I'll just buy my own phone and give my brother back the iPhone 4. I compared a 2 year plan between AT&T and T Mobile including the iPhone 5S. It's cheaper with AT&T.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones