Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM

267 posts, read 618,364 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm afraid it has been impossible so far to get anything close to a straight answer on this, but my goal in this scenario would be to stream both local (stored on the phone) video and streaming from Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. straight from an iPhone to a TV with AppleTV attached, no other networks required. I do not have a wired internet connection at home.

I went to various Apple Stores, talked to the "geniuses" and asked them to demonstrate to me if this is possible. They all acted passive-aggressive about it and couldn't really give me any good demo or answer.

Has anyone done this before? If this is possible, I will jump from my current Android straight into the Apple universe, in part because I'm finding that some things may actually work there. This is coming from someone in IT who normally likes hacking things like this, but it seems companies do not want users to have a good mobile experience, at all.

Anyway, rant aside, what are your experiences with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
my goal in this scenario would be to stream both local (stored on the phone) video and streaming from Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. straight from an iPhone to a TV with AppleTV attached, no other networks required. I do not have a wired internet connection at home.

Anyway, rant aside, what are your experiences with this?
A network is required.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Apple TV: What You Need

I stream personal videos as well as Netflix, BR movies, etc... from my MacBook Air and iPhone to my HDTV via Apple TV...

... through my wireless 802.11ac network.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,948 times
Chromecast + your android ....

Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Apple TV does not support direct connect streaming in the way that you are trying to achieve it.

I would suggest noodling around on the web to see what hacks do exist. Such as below.

If you are not comfortable messing around with your set up, then you might want to wait a while. I am sure Apple will find a way to monetize this capability 'officially' in a newer release.

Apple TV Hacks

Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I suggest a Sling Player device.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I suggest a Sling Player device.
dontaskwhy, I have never personally used a slingbox/player. Do you still need a network for that to stream?

Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Yes, it does require a network connection to broadcast to other devices wirelessly.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Let me clarify my previous statement a little. I have a specialized Sling Player for use with my Direct TV receiver. It plugs via a USB cable to the receiver and I can either watch live TV or recorded DVR shows on my Android device. It does require a broadband internet router connection.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:33 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Yes, it does require a network connection to broadcast to other devices wirelessly.
By "network connection" do you mean it has to have an internet connection, or is just the same wifi network without an internet connection that can do it?

I use an Airport Express to create a network to connect between my mac and an iPad/iPhone without an internet connection all of the time. I don't see why it wouldn't work using an Apple TV device the same way. That would be for a video saved o the iPhone, obviously, since you can't stream from Netflix without an internet connection.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
By "network connection" do you mean it has to have an internet connection, or is just the same wifi network without an internet connection that can do it?

I use an Airport Express to create a network to connect between my mac and an iPad/iPhone without an internet connection all of the time. I don't see why it wouldn't work using an Apple TV device the same way. That would be for a video saved o the iPhone, obviously, since you can't stream from Netflix without an internet connection.
It sounds like the OP wants to use the iPhone as the data connection. If he/she is steaming Netflix from a cellular phone eg iPhone there is no need for an internet connection at home. They are using the cell signal to get the data.

Apple TV doesn't support this direct stream natively. It would have to be hacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones