Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times

Advertisements

I want to confirm that the "bars" you see on any cell phone show you the strength of the signal between you and the closest cell tower. But that's all it means. Hence if you're downloading internet pages, the speed of that downloading is not always correlated to the bars.

Also, if the bars are down to one bar, it will still be a limit your internet speed. But other things clog the internet because your data goes through different nodes.

Also, the bars are exactly correlated to ASU/dBm, is that right? You can go to About Phone and see the current dBm, but it would always be the same as the bars. Unless you need to see an exact number.

The past two days my internet on my ATT/3G phone got insanely slow, but the bars remained at 3-4. I downloaded the Ookla speed test and my downloading speed was around 0.2M which is terrible but a few hours later it was 4.0M. I think 1.0M is the minimal for decent internet usage without having a hernia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Note: the above has nothing to do with wifi. I don't use wifi with my phone.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
What time did you data speeds slow down? Typically in the evenings, base station will go through its maintenance period.

Additionally, if you are trying to use your device during high traffic times, you will see that kind of impact on speeds.

The cellular strength in bars on your device doesnt necessarily correlate to your data speed. The cell bars only represent how much signal you are receiving from the nearest tower. So in theory you could be standing right next to a tower will full bars, but data speeds are not great because of network congestion.

If it so happens the tower you are sitting on is serving a lot of users because another tower might be down, that will also impact speeds.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM

My speeds are usually at a decent level but I had problems the last two afternoons. Don't know why.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Could have been anything. Those kind of speed drops, at least in my experience tell me that some work was being done at the base station. They will throttle down power in those base stations during those types of periods such as maintenance or upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones