Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
screw the fingerprint sensor wheres the tv remote. apple is just to far behind to make me wanna spend my money on em again
Too far behind on what? Screen size?

That's a minor issue. I've had an S3 and now have the 5s... one isn't overwhelmingly better than the other. I don't miss the bigger screen. Now I actually feel like I am carrying a phone and not a mini tablet. Plus, my phone syncs with my Air laptop, iTunes, and my Apple TV.

That's why I switched.. compatibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I stood in line. Took me a whole hour. It was interesting. I met one of my new neighbors.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
You shouldn't include 5S in your statement. It has a better:

CPU
GPU
Battery
Camera
Fingerprint sensor

Apple iPhone 5s vs Apple iPhone 5 - Phone specs comparison

But yeah, the 5 and the 5S do share the same size, weight, screen... all the important stuff.

You are right about the 5C... it's much closer to being a 5 in a new shell than the 5S ever will be.

Apple iPhone 5c vs Apple iPhone 5 - Phone specs comparison

Just sayin'....
I have been a Mac fanboi since 1998. I am very well versed in Apple's product updates. Apple tweaks the product a little, and I mean a little, then calls it an entirely new product. Apple adds hundreds of new functionalities to OSX or iOS, yet, they only inform the public of roughly 0.01% of those new changes. I guarantee that iOS 7 has numerous new functions that you will never know about because a) you were not told what they were/are, b) you do not know to look for them, c) you will eventually use some of the new functions, yet, not be aware of it. Sorry, but I hardly call updating the camera, battery, and CPU while throwing in a fingerprint sensor a "new device". It is simply an update, not a new device.

The new Mac Pro; now that is truly a new device. I should go begin a camp out for the December release, now. Wait a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I stood in line. Took me a whole hour. It was interesting. I met one of my new neighbors.
Well, if for only an hour I suppose I would, too. Then again I stood in line for 3 hours just to see Return of the Jedi, and I don't remember how long for Superman 2...but the line did stretch down the block and around the corner. ROTJ was only 3 hours because at that time my buddy and I said **********, and walked straight up to the box office and bought tickets. No one said a word, and we cut from somewhere near the middle of the line.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have been a Mac fanboi since 1998. I am very well versed in Apple's product updates. Apple tweaks the product a little, and I mean a little, then calls it an entirely new product. Apple adds hundreds of new functionalities to OSX or iOS, yet, they only inform the public of roughly 0.01% of those new changes. I guarantee that iOS 7 has numerous new functions that you will never know about because a) you were not told what they were/are, b) you do not know to look for them, c) you will eventually use some of the new functions, yet, not be aware of it. Sorry, but I hardly call updating the camera, battery, and CPU while throwing in a fingerprint sensor a "new device". It is simply an update, not a new device.
Isn't that's why it's called the 5s instead of the 6? I couldn't call it a new device either. It's definitely an update despite Apple's marketing techniques.

What I found hilarious was the use of the words "gorgeous colors" in reference to the ugly cases in the keynote video. Bleh...

I'm not a fanboi yet... I switched from the S3 to the 5s because I wanted compatibility with the Air I bought a few months ago. The phone and the laptop are the first Apple products I've ever owned. Apple's products are grossly overpriced... $849 for a 64GB 5s that consists of $150 worth of parts? Same goes for the $999 Air laptop...

I guess that's the price you pay for quality... As overpriced as the phone was they all have great resale value. Despite paying the full price because I'm only a year into my contract I'll be able sell it next year and upgrade to the next iPhone for free... I have no doubt I can sell this one at a minimum $400... which will cover the 64GB discount upgrade price... (based on 5s prices)

Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Never in my life waited anywhere in line for a product release.
And I have little respect for those that do.
Come on, these guys are sacrificing BIG time - giving up there spots in the cronut line to get da phone boss da phone!

Cronut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fantasy Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Isn't that's why it's called the 5s instead of the 6? I couldn't call it a new device either. It's definitely an update despite Apple's marketing techniques.

What I found hilarious was the use of the words "gorgeous colors" in reference to the ugly cases in the keynote video. Bleh...

I'm not a fanboi yet... I switched from the S3 to the 5s because I wanted compatibility with the Air I bought a few months ago. The phone and the laptop are the first Apple products I've ever owned. Apple's products are grossly overpriced... $849 for a 64GB 5s that consists of $150 worth of parts? Same goes for the $999 Air laptop...

I guess that's the price you pay for quality... As overpriced as the phone was they all have great resale value. Despite paying the full price because I'm only a year into my contract I'll be able sell it next year and upgrade to the next iPhone for free... I have no doubt I can sell this one at a minimum $400... which will cover the 64GB discount upgrade price... (based on 5s prices)
Yes, Apple products tend to retain a high resale value even years after they were initially released. At this point, you can reasonably expect to get that $400 a year from now.

The current iPone design is nearing the end of its product life cycle and I would bet money that the iPhone 6 will be radically different, and not just 3S to 4 different. This is evident by the plastic used on the 5C and the completely different iOS7 (look at the latest version of OSX and compare it to the first OSX. Thirteen years separates them, yet, the UI looks almost identical. Same with iOS1 to iOS6. iOS7 really is a new OS. Apple has a history of releasing the OS, or update, complete with built-in capabilities first before building a device that can take advantage of them. Hence why iOS7 has 100s of new features you will never know about. Most of these new features are really for the next iPhone and beyond.

I really like iOS7 and think it looks good on the 5, 5C, and 5S. Current rumors are that the iPhone 6 will have a larger screen, somewhere between 4.7 and 5.7" as well as connectivity to an accessory iWatch. If Apple were to release an iWatch in conjunction with the iPhone 6, I would seriously consider waiting in line, too.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, Apple products tend to retain a high resale value even years after they were initially released. At this point, you can reasonably expect to get that $400 a year from now.

The current iPone design is nearing the end of its product life cycle and I would bet money that the iPhone 6 will be radically different, and not just 3S to 4 different.

I really like iOS7 and think it looks good on the 5, 5C, and 5S. Current rumors are that the iPhone 6 will have a larger screen, somewhere between 4.7 and 5.7" as well as connectivity to an accessory iWatch.
My contract renewal is July... just in time for the annual September iPhone launch.

As said these are my first Apple products... I have no experience with anything but iOS7 and the latest OSX on my Air. I am happy with both though... neither are IMHO noticeably better than Windows 7 or Android but they are definitely user friendly and stable. I'm happy.

As far as the big screen... I had it on the S3 and it was nice, but I'm not losing sleep over it now. The 5s screen size is sufficient and I feel now like I am carrying a phone and not a mini tablet. A bigger screen would be nice... as long as it's not too big. I carry my phone in my front shirt pocket all day... and the 5s fits MUCH better than the S3... LOL

Old 10-31-2013, 08:27 PM

306 posts, read 657,009 times
I got a Samsung Galaxy Note III, way better phone than the iPhone 5S will ever be!! Apple stopped innovating a while ago and they are yesterdays news...time to look at the new players in the Android space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones