Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,608 times

Advertisements

I am on AT&T and my contract is up soon. I was contemplating using my current smartphone (GSM) & switching to straight talk $45 unlimited plan.

Would like to hear from folks using straight talk. Anything to watch out for?

Is their $5 plan considered a pre-paid plan? i.e. should I remember to recharge like every month? How is the coverage locally and nationwide. (For the GSM option which I assume is practically ATT). Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
I have used page plus prepay service for years and recommend it over some others I have used. I don't understand why anyone goes on contract these days. They all pay double for what I get. If straight talk offers a good unlimited rate go for it, u can cancel it anytime if you choose. Most prepay will allow you to set up automatic payments or send you a reminder text couple days before time to renew. No hassle.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 AM

55 posts, read 83,014 times
Using straight talk for 3 years now, I had one small problem and tech support was easy to contact and solved the problem in minutes. I have actually had months where I didn't need my phone and added minutes months later to the same number. Never a problem with coverage so far.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
To "Bring Your Own Phone" you want the AT&T BYOP Program here:

Shop | Straight Talk

Straight Talk's AT&T service is very popular. Coverage should mirror the same coverage you get now. I'm *not quite sure* if you'll get 4G with AT&T, I do know ST has 4G SIMS but I'm not really up on the GSM side of the house. If anything you'll get their fast 3G stuff, I see it normally runs around 6 mbps +/-. Bringing a smartphone in, I believe the only plan you are eligible for is the $45 plan.

Another poster mentioned Page Plus. They are strictly a Verizon reseller so in this case has nothing to do with what you are asking about.

To explain further, since you seem to know something about cell phones in general, Straight Talk and Net10 (same services different names) are owned by America Movil who also own Tracfone. Straight Talk traditionally has been the Wal-Mart arm and Net10 has been the "everything else" arm.

Anyway, they resell the services of AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon. You have to be very careful when buying the service because no one wants to be on T-Mobile or Sprint. Since you can bring your own device, and select the AT&T SIM, you'll be guaranteed to get the AT&T service.

I'm not sure if it works with iPhones, I know on the Verizon side it (BYOP) does not, but each program is different.

You can do auto-fill which is basically like auto-pay, it charges you and gives you service seamlessly through the next 30 days. After taxes in NC you're looking at around $49/month. If bought online and entering the PIN manually into reserve, you can normally find them for $45 with no tax and that will save a few bucks, but requires some legwork.

Verizon wanted $175/month for two smartphones for my wife and I when we lost our 20% discount. I'm now on Net10 with two smartphones for $92/month. Huge, significant savings on the Verizon side for those who don't desire to have the latest and greatest devices. The GSM program is better because you can use the new phones.

You can port in your number no problem, I ported in a Google Voice number and my wife a Verizon number, both took under a day. Just remember they reserve the right to cancel your number and release it after 30 days of inactivity.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times
Are there any limitations to be aware of for folks who use their mobile phones for much more than voice? I read somewhere if you stream audio they cancel you, no 4G LTE etc, no pix in text messages, etc.

I tether my other devices to my phones data plan sometimes, can that be done with straight talk?

I'm always happy to save money where I can but would like to understand the limitations.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Are there any limitations to be aware of for folks who use their mobile phones for much more than voice? I read somewhere if you stream audio they cancel you, no 4G LTE etc, no pix in text messages, etc.

I tether my other devices to my phones data plan sometimes, can that be done with straight talk?

I'm always happy to save money where I can but would like to understand the limitations.
As I said in my other post there is 4G but I'm not sure how it works and with what side (carrier). As it stands Verizon is NOT in that group and most likely won't be for a very long time (if ever).

Almost all issues occur with iPhones and the MMS messaging. I have no idea what issues people have but those on Howard Forums seem pretty knowledgeable on the issues and fixing them.

A few months ago there was a class action lawsuit against America Movil due to their "unlimited data" claim. In their Terms of Service they explicitly forbid streaming/tethering but people did it anyway, some folks were using 50 gb and more a month. They would also randomly cut people off or severely restrict data bandwidth and even after re-upping your service it would remain restricted. The lawsuit was settled with now everyone limited to 2.5 gb of "high speed data" (either 4G or 3G for whichever provider you use) and after that up to 4 gb on 2G speed. Along with that the streaming limitation was removed at the same time, but "officially" the tethering limitation is there. That being said...

Personally, I'm on the Verizon side, and tether to my laptop and iPad using PDANet approximately 500-600 mb a month. I don't go over that data usage even with normal use of the phone as I do not watch video or stream audio. Doing either really boosts up your data consumption.

Worst case - if you are out of contract with your current carrier - is you are out the $7 SIM and a month of service if they cut you off. Then just go back to your previous carrier. You could also do what I did - use a spare phone, activate it and try it out for a month to see how it worked.

According to this article 4G is available on Straight Talk under AT&T:
Straight Talk now offers 4G LTE on AT&T – unlimited talk, text, and data for $45 a month

Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,351 times
I live in Wendell, NC and would like to know if unlimited talk, text and data plan from straight talk working in my area, I heard someone told me that data plan will not working in my area but want to see if anyone out there from this area uses this plan and works for them? Thanks

Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
an abundance of no contract plans available at good prices, get one.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
I am on AT&T and my contract is up soon. I was contemplating using my current smartphone (GSM) & switching to straight talk $45 unlimited plan.

Would like to hear from folks using straight talk. Anything to watch out for?

Is their $5 plan considered a pre-paid plan? i.e. should I remember to recharge like every month? How is the coverage locally and nationwide. (For the GSM option which I assume is practically ATT). Thanks
I have posted similar info earlier on this, as have others, so check old threads.

I have ST on ATT towers and a mid-level LG L-40G smart phone on Android 4.0 for about 4 months. I like both the service and the phone for my use profile...which is modest.
  • mid level phone use both at home/work and on the road
  • low volume, occasional texting
  • low volume, occasional web stuff...mostly searches and info lookups...low volume email
  • frequent, moderate use over wi-fi including regular radio/audio streaming (my video streaming is usually done on larger devices)
ST offers the '$45' unlimited plan for 3, 6, or 12 months at reduced rates, saving a few more dollars. If you don't want data (Internet) the price is nearer $30 for 'unlimited' voice and text....discounts may also be available for multi month signup. Check latest pricing etc.

Again...(though not 'perfect') I am pleased with this combo. YMMV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones