Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have the new Google phone~? Pros~? Cons~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
A definite pro for the Nexus 5 is that it's tri-band capable and will work on the Spark network (currently the fastest network).

Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A definite pro for the Nexus 5 is that it's tri-band capable and will work on the Spark network (currently the fastest network).
I don't know any of that technical stuff. My HTC is over 2 years old with many issues. I'm trying to download my info now, like photos from my HTC. Anyways, what I like about the Google phone is, not many programs like the other ones have. I have so many on this phone that I never use, like the TV.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
I have the Nexus 5 and am a big fan.

Pros
Cheap - you can buy it unlocked, off contract for $349
Pure android - no bloatware or OEM skin
Timely updates
Smooth performance

Cons
Camera is only pretty good. Not as good as some other phones
Battery life is also only pretty good. Not as good as some other phones

I am a big Nexus fan. I have owned the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and now the Nexus 5 (I also have a Nexus 7) and have had great experiences with with all. Apart from Verizon taking forever to push through the updates to the Galaxy Nexus, I have very few complaints.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:24 PM

So, is this not a good choice~? Is the Galaxy line better~? Seems like T-Mobile is pushing them and they told me this Google phone just came out.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
So, is this not a good choice~? Is the Galaxy line better~? Seems like T-Mobile is pushing them and they told me this Google phone just came out.
The Nexus 5 is most certainly a great choice. However so is the Galaxy S4/Note 3. It's a matter of what features are important to you. The Galaxy series is the best selling in the world. But Samsung also shells out a lot more for marketing.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 PM

513 posts, read 580,791 times
I had a Galaxy S4 and I dumped it for a Nexus 5, and I haven't once regretted my decision. You can't beat the pure Android experience and you get software updates directly from Google, in a timely manner. With any other device you only get software updates if and when the manufacturer AND carrier decide to deploy them, and the manufacturers tend to abandon softwares updates for devices once sales have peaked and once newer devices are out. On the other hand, I can guarantee you at this time next year my Nexus 5 will still be running the latest iteration of Android (5.x or whatever they have planned) even though Google most likely won't be selling this year's Nexus by this time next year because that's how committed Google is to their devices. A year from now, Samsung and HTC will have long since abandoned their 2013 models. So basically any 2013 Samsung or HTC model will only ever be running a 2013 version of Android. This is important, if anything, these latest smartphones have shown that performance and functionality are more dependent upon software than hardware at this point.

Also unlike Samsung, Google actually lets you tinker with your phone. I don't know if you're into rooting, custom ROMs, customer kernels, etc, but it couldn't be any easier than with the Nexus devices. Finally if you do decide to get the Nexus, don't buy it at any of the retailers, buy it from the Google Play Store. The third-party retailers charge a huge markup on Nexus devices, cause a lot of people probably don't know any better. Hope this helped.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:37 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Personally I think the best phone out is the MotoX currently. That is a nice well built silky smooth phone.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I have the Nexus 5 and am a big fan.

Pros
Cheap - you can buy it unlocked, off contract for $349
Pure android - no bloatware or OEM skin
Timely updates
Smooth performance

Cons
Camera is only pretty good. Not as good as some other phones
Battery life is also only pretty good. Not as good as some other phones

I am a big Nexus fan. I have owned the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and now the Nexus 5 (I also have a Nexus 7) and have had great experiences with with all. Apart from Verizon taking forever to push through the updates to the Galaxy Nexus, I have very few complaints.
I second this. I'm on sprint and owned the Nexus S, GN, and N5. I love it. I had to RMA 3 of them because of hardware defects, but that is LG's fault and not Google's. Now that I have a solid one, it is just stunning. It puts my Galaxy Nexus, which I thought was still fast, to shame. Battery life is amazing, too. Again, coming from a GN. When I'd head home from work, I'd be at 25-35% battery with the GN. I have yet to fall below 50% with my N5.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 AM

I got my new Google phone yesterday. Seems okay and simple to figure out, so far. Not all my phone numbers transferred over and I was manually putting some of them in last night. I'm going to have to go back to the phone store today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones