Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times

Advertisements

I'd like an app that keeps a log of where I've been all day, using CellID and not GPS. (CellID is the builtin way for your phone to know its location). At the end of the day there would be a list of everytime I moved from one place to another, with the address.

Do you know of any app that would do this? Searching in the App Store, there's one that tracks you and your whole family. There are a lot that use GPS which I'd rather not use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
There are a lot that use GPS which I'd rather not use.
Why's that? I'm a beginner developer and am curious.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 PM

GPS uses a lot of power and only works outdoors, I've read.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:06 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
GPS uses some power, but not all that much.

If you have an amateur radio license, you can use APRSdroid (assuming you have an android phone - you didn't say).

Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Anything here that might work ?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
GPS uses a lot of power and only works outdoors, I've read.
Yes and no.

It does use some additional power, but it does have limited GPS location abilities indoors. For example, in many locations it can show your estimated location if you have an additional Wifi connection. I can sit in my home and the GPS will show my approximate location in that home within a reasonable distance.

If you are in the back of a metal building not near any windows or doors and no Wifi connection, it will be difficult to locate your position via GPS.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
I'd like an app that keeps a log of where I've been all day, using CellID and not GPS. (CellID is the builtin way for your phone to know its location). At the end of the day there would be a list of everytime I moved from one place to another, with the address.

Do you know of any app that would do this? Searching in the App Store, there's one that tracks you and your whole family. There are a lot that use GPS which I'd rather not use.
Well you really wont find much on it, because 99% of the Android phones likely have a GPS chip embedded in the device. CellID is really from a time pre-GPS, before smartphones.

Your device actually does store your location points in a temp log. However rebooting would delete that log and you couldnt access it without some software tools and a bit of a skill.

Its difficult to make an app that only tracks your daily movements without actually applying to something useful. Are you talking about a Map that has your movement from the day and you just want to look at it?
I mean, what checkpoints do you want to see that measured in? Time of day?

You have Android robert. Just sign up for Lattitude. It will track you.
Google Latitude

Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM

What are the advantages of using GPS over the builtin CellID?

When I use Google Maps it seems to know my location okay, without GPS.

I thought it would be fun to look at an app at the end of the day and see where I was and exactly what time. Sometimes I forget where I ate lunch etc.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Well you really wont find much on it, because 99% of the Android phones likely have a GPS chip embedded in the device. CellID is really from a time pre-GPS, before smartphones.

Your device actually does store your location points in a temp log. However rebooting would delete that log and you couldnt access it without some software tools and a bit of a skill.

Its difficult to make an app that only tracks your daily movements without actually applying to something useful. Are you talking about a Map that has your movement from the day and you just want to look at it?
I mean, what checkpoints do you want to see that measured in? Time of day?

You have Android robert. Just sign up for Lattitude. It will track you.
Google Latitude
"Latitude has been retired

Google Latitude was retired on August 9th, 2013. Products retired include Google Latitude in Google Maps for Android, Latitude for iPhone, the Latitude API, the public badge, the iGoogle Gadget, and the Latitude website at maps.google.com/latitude."

Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
location tracking is still in your google data.

You need to enable it on your dashboard at: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0/settings

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory

But if you have multiple Android devices and don't carry both with you at all times, disable it on the one that is not with you. It screws up the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones