Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,450 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the whole Bluetooth technology. I know you use the bluetooth headset for calls, but can you also listen to music from a music phone (of course one that supports Bluetooth ) with the bluetooth headset? Or ear buds only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,189,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I'm new to the whole Bluetooth technology. I know you use the bluetooth headset for calls, but can you also listen to music from a music phone (of course one that supports Bluetooth ) with the bluetooth headset? Or ear buds only?
Well I can only speak for the phones I have own which have been Motorola and LG since the bluetooth made their debut. I currently use a Green ENV since it has great reception, full qwerty for fat finger texting and stereo, as well as like 21 blue tooth devices. However, on this phone as well as my previous LG 8300 series, the music would only play through the ear bud or on the speaker of the phone and not the bluetooth device.

There may be other phones that do but I am unaware of them. I have a relative that works for Verizon so I can ask and in the meantime I guess google might be the most helpful.

Hope that helps.

-tn

Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 PM

We bought a Sony Ericsson W580i...it's supposed to have a lot of perks and such. I've tried searching, but it seems everything I read is too technical and doesn't make a lot of sense to the layman.

I guess we'll see for sure when he gets it for Christmas.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
We bought a Sony Ericsson W580i...it's supposed to have a lot of perks and such. I've tried searching, but it seems everything I read is too technical and doesn't make a lot of sense to the layman.

I guess we'll see for sure when he gets it for Christmas.
According to the following link I have found, it would seem that your phone is capable of listening to music with a bluetooth set. I am not entirely sure if this means just the mono ear bud/piece or a headset but anyway, here ya go.

Sony Ericsson - Mobile phones - Topics

Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
What is the cancer , radiation or hearing loss rate with these devices?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Gee, "Sunny" thanks for brightening my day!

I hadn't thought of that. Hmmmmm, maybe he really doesn't need bluetooth. It's bad enough with hearing loss from ear buds, I really don't want to contribute to cancer as well.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Actually Sunny, I think I posted a link to an article about RF (radio frequency) radiation caused by various cell phones, cell towers, blue tooths and the like. It is kind of long and on the technical side but if I am not mistaken, bluetooth gives off much less RF than does having your head next to the cell phone. Cell phone bluetooth devices operate on 2.4 gHz and usually only have a range of about 33 feet (give or take) so they have fairly low level power.

I'll try to dig up that post if it isn't on this forum.

You might want to check out this site as it has some pretty decent information on bluetooth technology.
Bluetooth.com | The Official Bluetooth® Technology Info Site (http://www.bluetooth.com/bluetooth/ - broken link)

I admit, it is the one techno gizmonic I can not live without now that I am used to having it.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
According to the following link I have found, it would seem that your phone is capable of listening to music with a bluetooth set. I am not entirely sure if this means just the mono ear bud/piece or a headset but anyway, here ya go.

Sony Ericsson - Mobile phones - Topics

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. I will read it over and see what it has to say. I already read it once, I didn't see where it was specific about the Bluetooth being used for the music, but I'll look it over again. Thanks!!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. I will read it over and see what it has to say. I already read it once, I didn't see where it was specific about the Bluetooth being used for the music, but I'll look it over again. Thanks!!
Well on that link, halfway down on the right hand side I noticed this:

Listening is a pleasure

Pump up the volume with confidence when listening to your favorite song – your Bluetooth™ device will automatically mute the music for incoming calls. There’s no need to lunge for the volume control.

I kind of assume that if you are listening to music and the bluetooth device automatically mutes, that it is saying you are listening to music on it. It is a little hard to tell though.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well on that link, halfway down on the right hand side I noticed this:

Listening is a pleasure

Pump up the volume with confidence when listening to your favorite song – your Bluetooth™ device will automatically mute the music for incoming calls. There’s no need to lunge for the volume control.

I kind of assume that if you are listening to music and the bluetooth device automatically mutes, that it is saying you are listening to music on it. It is a little hard to tell though.
Yeah, I read that and was somewhat confused if they actually meant while you're listening to music on the bluetooth headset or?? They're not very specific. Like you said, not ALL bluetooth phones do this, so I thought they would have it a bit more clearly stated and use it as a selling point.
I really do appreciate the info though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones