Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Right. In which case compromise is a good thing.
This comes down to discipline and smarter choices for those who need to save money/rather than splurge on smartphone plans.
Compromise can be a good thing if it's the right compromises. If you're trying to save money then the smart, disciplined, choice is to increase your cashflow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
These prices are all insane... Over $100 for phone service. Think about that. Yet consumers just roll over and accept it.
If it were just phone service then I'd be paying $40 per month from AT&T for a flip phone. Same as our landline.

However, you have to realize that you are paying for phone and internet service for your pocket computer that doubles as a phone and takes pictures.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If it were just phone service then I'd be paying $40 per month from AT&T for a flip phone. Same as our landline.

However, you have to realize that you are paying for phone and internet service for your pocket computer that doubles as a phone and takes pictures.
Even with data, anything over $40 a month is insane! Allowing yourself to be held hostage by your stupid phone is just flushing dollars away.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Even with data, anything over $40 a month is insane! Allowing yourself to be held hostage by your stupid phone is just flushing dollars away.
Define being held hostage ... as I already stated, the freedom that the phone affords me is irreplaceable. For the cost of a few hours of work I get an incredible amount of freedom.

For me, being held hostage is having to sit in an office all day, or having to work a fixed schedule each day, and each week, instead of being able to work when I want, and from where I want.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:14 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
Verizon was the most expensive at $153 per month, T-Mobile was the cheapest at $133, and AT&T and Sprint were in the middle at $147 and $143, respectively.
I started with Alltel around 1999 before they were bought out by Verizon.

Currently paying $100 per month for 450 anytime minutes which I'm lucky if I use half each month, unlimited text and 2GB data which I'm lucky if I use half each month. I've had this plan for years and haven't been forced into a Share plan which is good because I have nothing to share the minutes and data with.

iPhone 5s.

No reason for me to switch... if I wanted half the coverage areas I'd go to TMobile or Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Obviously coverage in any given market may or may not be good, but looking at the country as a whole, Verizon is best, and people are clearly willing to pay extra to have a network that has better coverage.
Indeed.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I started with Alltel around 1999 before they were bought out by Verizon.

Currently paying $100 per month for 450 anytime minutes which I'm lucky if I use half each month, unlimited text and 2GB data which I'm lucky if I use half each month. I've had this plan for years and haven't been forced into a Share plan which is good because I have nothing to share the minutes and data with.

iPhone 5s.

No reason for me to switch... if I wanted half the coverage areas I'd go to TMobile or Sprint.

Indeed.
I too was an Alltel to Verizon switch with the same plan, however, due to unemployment last year & the way 450 minutes goes real fast when you're job hunting with no landline, I went to the unlimited text, talk & 1GB date for $110/month all taxes included. Yes, I might pay more than my friends who use cheaper services but I can never understand them when they call, think, "can you hear me?". I'm currently month to month, would love to upgrade the iphone4 to the latest but very confused so I'm just waiting for my battery to die first (phone is three years old)...

Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Define being held hostage ... as I already stated, the freedom that the phone affords me is irreplaceable.
Agreed. I just bought my first smartphone a few days ago. Was in a major U.S. city the next night. I am old school. I pull over to study my paper maps. That usually takes up a few minutes, not to mention gas, if I make a wrong turn. Used my phone GPS...amazing. Gave me perfect directions that I know saved me time and gas. I will still keep my paper maps if should need them but I am comfortable leaving them in the trunk.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:14 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I don't quite understand the comparison here. They're comparing the price of 2 gigs of data with Verizon and AT&T vs. unlimited with Sprint and T-Mobile.

I don't know Sprint's pricing scheme but I know T-Mobile gives you 2.5 gigs of 3G/4G data per month plus unlimited text and talk for $60.
They upped it recently to 3gb :-)

They also stream from most music services without counting against your data which has brought my numbers down quite a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones