Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,241 times

Advertisements

Consumers and businesses in America spend billions on wireless service each year. And it’s no wonder — the average cost of cell phone service on each of the top four nationwide carriers in the United States is painfully high. One is higher than the rest, of course, and you’ll have to try to act surprised when you find out which it is.
According to a study conducted recently by Cowen and Company and picked up by Ars Technica, Verizon Wireless customers pay more for wireless service each month on average than any other customers in the country. Verizon is widely known as the most expensive carrier in America, though, and many of its subscribers have come to accept the high cost of service in exchange for fast LTE data and outstanding coverage in most areas across the country.
Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam has also made it clear on numerous occasions that Verizon has no intention of competing on price.
Cowen’s Q4 study surveyed 1,876 wireless subscribers in the United States and found that Verizon bills averaged $148 per month, including taxes and fees. Sprint has the second most expensive service at $144 on average, followed by AT&T at $141. Not surprisingly, T-Mobile has the cheapest service on average at $120 per month.
A similar study performed by Cowen in the third quarter last year yielded comparable results. Verizon was the most expensive at $153 per month, T-Mobile was the cheapest at $133, and AT&T and Sprint were in the middle at $147 and $143, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
Consumers and businesses in America spend billions on wireless service each year. And it’s no wonder — the average cost of cell phone service on each of the top four nationwide carriers in the United States is painfully high. One is higher than the rest, of course, and you’ll have to try to act surprised when you find out which it is.
According to a study conducted recently by Cowen and Company and picked up by Ars Technica, Verizon Wireless customers pay more for wireless service each month on average than any other customers in the country. Verizon is widely known as the most expensive carrier in America, though, and many of its subscribers have come to accept the high cost of service in exchange for fast LTE data and outstanding coverage in most areas across the country.
Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam has also made it clear on numerous occasions that Verizon has no intention of competing on price.
Cowen’s Q4 study surveyed 1,876 wireless subscribers in the United States and found that Verizon bills averaged $148 per month, including taxes and fees. Sprint has the second most expensive service at $144 on average, followed by AT&T at $141. Not surprisingly, T-Mobile has the cheapest service on average at $120 per month.
A similar study performed by Cowen in the third quarter last year yielded comparable results. Verizon was the most expensive at $153 per month, T-Mobile was the cheapest at $133, and AT&T and Sprint were in the middle at $147 and $143, respectively.
As they say, you get what you pay for. This coming from an AT&T customer.

It doesn't matter how cheap T-Mobile is, if your phone doesn't work when you go on a trip. We have two smart phones and pay somewhat less than the AT&T average.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
No surprise. I switched away from them for that very reason. I think it's universally understood that they're quite expensive.

That said, if you travel a lot, they're probably worth the money. I don't, so I have no reason to pay their crazy prices.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,241 times
I agree I was an AT&T customer I had more dropped calls in more places!! and they cost just as much as Verizon!! I also agree with swagger I travel around most of the time so I need reliable service that's gonna be there for me but if I didn't travel aot then I would probily switch myself

Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
I puke in my mouth a little every time I see "they have the best network".
VZW coverage sucks in Cleveland. And we still are in the top 50 largest cities for now. You would think it would be pretty good here. I think it might be because we were one of the first to get 4g. Then they just moved on and forgot about us...

Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
I cannot understand how they are coming up with that high an average bill for one phone. I don't know anyone paying more than $100 for their service. Most are paying $60 and less. I'm paying less than $40 for unlimited on T-Mobile, as are all the other people in my business group.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I cannot understand how they are coming up with that high an average bill for one phone. I don't know anyone paying more than $100 for their service. Most are paying $60 and less. I'm paying less than $40 for unlimited on T-Mobile, as are all the other people in my business group.
It says average bills per customer, not for one phone. I have 4 lines on my account and even after a corporate discount mine still averages around $280 per month which I think is ridiculous. What makes it so high is the rip off charges for data.

They state they have no intentions of competing on price but anyone that knows anything about business knows that you only stay on top for so long. Somebody will beat them to the punch on new technology or build their coverage up to where it is competitive at a lower cost one day and Verizon will be forced to compete in pricing one day.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
They're all too high if you want my opinion!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
They're all too high if you want my opinion!
Not if you consider what I used to pay Alltel in 1991. The price per minute has steadily decreased since then. Back then, I think I used to pay $65/month for 45 minutes, no text, no phone camera, no mobile internet, used to pay for Long Distance calling and roaming per minute outside my calling area, $500 phones (after subsidy) that weighed about 15 pounds. Consumers get far more for their $$ than they used to.

I am not bothered to pay Verizon for Unlimited voice, no domestic LD or roaming, unlimited text, shared 4 Gb wireless internet, excellent coverage about $160.00 for two smart phones. We would all like to get unlimited everything for nothing, me included, but there is a reality to keep in mind. I use my phone for my job and would be hard pressed to not have it available when and where I need it.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I puke in my mouth a little every time I see "they have the best network".
VZW coverage sucks in Cleveland. And we still are in the top 50 largest cities for now. You would think it would be pretty good here. I think it might be because we were one of the first to get 4g. Then they just moved on and forgot about us...
Obviously coverage in any given market may or may not be good, but looking at the country as a whole, Verizon is best, and people are clearly willing to pay extra to have a network that has better coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones