Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand the issue at all. People should use the phones they can afford and like with services that they like and make them happy.
R&D does not sit still. Would people rather that the phone manufacturers and service providers sat on innovation and did a release every 5 or 6 years?
I think I would hate that cycle.
I have loved the improvements in smartphones, and update about every 2 years.

Choices... Choices...
My Nokia 1520 is preferable to ME than the Galaxy S3 I sold.
My wife's Nokia 920 is a better phone than the EVO 4G we sold.
But, we CHOSE to make those moves. Both Android phones still functioned well. The EVO in particular was older and more limited, and I dumped mine for the S3 two years ago. The S3 was fine, but I wouldn't drop Windowsphone to go back to Android.
And we CHOSE to move to another carrier which made changing phones just fine.

We make the moves for us, not to impress anyone.
As far as phone costs goes, as usual, I sold the S3 for what I paid for it, although I provided some accessories. All in all, it wasn't a huge financial drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Confused.

Op is upset there is too much new awesome being delivered too quickly?

Wtf?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Confused.

Wtf?
OR too much CRAP too quickly....

Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Whats the big deal? This has been the computer mantra for a couple of decades, sheesh....

Your not stuck in a contract with a PC though. Im running a 3yr old Dell 15R and it out performs many newer laptop that you see on the shelf for $300.

Phone wise this is what I have owned recently.
HTC Touch HD2- Had for 2 yrs and the best phone I owned.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 3- Once i got Android 4.3, the phone lagged like crazy so I got the nexus 4

LG Nexus 4-currently running KitKat and all is well, but out of space as 16GB is the max, so i need to get a Nexus 5 or something with more storage soon.

While I get higher end phones that dont obsolete themselves right away, many lower end smart phones are full of trouble within a year and your still stuck in a contract, so many just upgrade and add another 2 yrs of $60-90 phone bills.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
$600? You can buy a Nexus phone for under half that, and can expect 2 years of OS upgrades.

I bailed on AT&T last year, bought a Nexus 4 when they had their $100 off sale for $260, and pay $30 a month to Consumer Cellular. My phone was fed Android 4.4 a couple weeks after Google released it, and no carrier bloatware.
Thats all I buy now is nexus phones. The Galaxy Nexus sucked after 4.3, but the Nexus 4 is pretty good outside the lack of storage and reception always going in and out.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Confused.

Wtf?

No. If you bought a phone for $350+ only to turn around and it is $100 two months later and being replaced with a better model, that kills resale on your phone.

I want a Nexus 5, but i hear a Nexus 6 is going to be announced in a month. I cant recall how many people bought a S3 and were so many then equally pissed 1 month later when the S4 was announced

Old 02-08-2014, 08:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
No. If you bought a phone for $350+ only to turn around and it is $100 two months later and being replaced with a better model, that kills resale on your phone.

I want a Nexus 5, but i hear a Nexus 6 is going to be announced in a month. I cant recall how many people bought a S3 and were so many then equally pissed 1 month later when the S4 was announced
The Nexus 4 is $200, new, today... and was released over a year ago. The Nexus 5 is not going to magically drop to $100.

There's a lot of innovation in these devices... and the fact that they are getting the innovation to us quicker is nice. The other alternative is what they are doing with consoles where you're fed the innovation in chunks every 10 years.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
do not sign for a plan dont do it.
get your smart phones used.
a better idea is to not get smart phones get dumb phones and a smart tablet harder for NSA to track and trust me they do track you.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

I was not aware buying a phone was contingent on its resale value nor was I aware that obligated manufacturers to space out their releases if it were.

Listen, unless the phone becomes inoperable after the launch of an "upgrade," who cares?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
do not sign for a plan dont do it.
get your smart phones used.
a better idea is to not get smart phones get dumb phones and a smart tablet harder for NSA to track and trust me they do track you.
I agree, prepaid dumb phones are safer, since the NSA has less control over them. Tablets can be tracked just as easily as a smartphone, and they do IF you have interesting activities. But there ARE things you can do to be a pain in the ass for them, but then you become interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones